Atlus to be sold next week

#71kamikaze135Posted 7/20/2013 8:15:29 AM
I can totally see Microsoft buying Atlus just to have a good JRPG developer to try an win over the JP audience. They tried winning them over by releasing games like Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 first, but failed. I can see them releasing Shin Megami Tensei V with a ridiculously high budget on the Xbox One along with Persona 5.

Not that I want that to happen, but it's a likely reality. Personally, I hope a company like Konami buys them. They are third party and seem to put a lot of effort into their franchises. Plus they could let Atlus develop their Suikoden games since apparently the only thing stopping them from making a new one is lacking devs that know how to put together a good RPG - according to Konami.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#72kamikaze135Posted 7/20/2013 8:17:35 AM
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
by57000 posted...
Except that persona and disgaea are both sony exclusive(well except disgaea DS and p4 Arena)

Persona isn't owned nor funded by Sony. I wish people would stop saying that. Atlus can release it on any system they want. If P5 were to come to consoles it will most certainly be a multiplat.

You mean just like Persona, Persona 2, Persona 3 and Persona 4?

You're forgetting that current and next gen games are much more expensive to make and the economy we're in isn't as good as it used to be. A lot of the bigger franchises known to be released on one console at a time (for the most part) are being released as multiplatform titles - Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, etc. They released that Persona fighting game on the Xbox 360 as well, so don't be surprised when Persona 5 is released on 2-3 consoles.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#73GenocideHeartPosted 7/20/2013 9:25:07 AM
kamikaze135 posted...
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
by57000 posted...
Except that persona and disgaea are both sony exclusive(well except disgaea DS and p4 Arena)

Persona isn't owned nor funded by Sony. I wish people would stop saying that. Atlus can release it on any system they want. If P5 were to come to consoles it will most certainly be a multiplat.

You mean just like Persona, Persona 2, Persona 3 and Persona 4?

You're forgetting that current and next gen games are much more expensive to make and the economy we're in isn't as good as it used to be. A lot of the bigger franchises known to be released on one console at a time (for the most part) are being released as multiplatform titles - Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, etc. They released that Persona fighting game on the Xbox 360 as well, so don't be surprised when Persona 5 is released on 2-3 consoles.

That wouldn't be a problem if developers stopped wasting money trying to render super-realistic pimples on a random NPC's ass. Spend less of that budget on graphics and settle for reasonable looks instead of trying to look like a goddamn movie and I guarantee you that making games will cost a hell of a lot LESS.

Now, the one thing that Atlus games are NOT known for? Awesome graphics. That makes them pretty cheap to develop by default. They'd be fine publishing on only one console. Especially since Index sinking isn't their fault - Index Holding went under because everything ELSE they were involved in, aside from Atlus, failed to make a profit. Atlus's been more or less keeping them alive until now, and did that in spite of rarely going multiplat. They can do the same thing if someone with actual business sense takes them in.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#74talesfan215Posted 7/20/2013 10:26:58 AM
Brasen posted...
Out of the big three I'd rather see Nintendo get them, seeing how they treated Monolith Soft in giving them pretty much free reign on just letting them do what they love... that kind of relationship is what Atlas needs.

Out of the third parties im not sure.... most seem to be going downhill or switching to iwhatever stuff.

Why did Monolith Soft stop making the DBZ RPG game on DS? Attack of the Saiyans is one of my favorite RPG's ever.
---
It's funny, people say Vita has no games, yet defend a port to no end like MH3U, then hate on P4: Golden like its a direct, direct port. Hilarious irony.
#75ManjiMidouPosted 7/20/2013 10:33:13 AM
AngelWithaHat posted...
jenrais posted...
Anyone but EA Sony Nintendo Microsoft

Give third party

No Namco nor Capcom.

Namco has been good lately specially towards Sony and us. So yeah, l wouldn't mind Namco buying them.
---
656Stooge: "
But he's Australian. Like me. Not everyone is American you know. Only the unlucky ones :)"
#76TranslatorTomPosted 7/21/2013 12:20:53 AM
talesfan215 posted...
Who knows, if Sega buys Atlus, we might see future Valkyria Chronicles and Shining projects with high probabilities of localization. I vote for Sega.

But future Valkyria and Shining games are probably going to be browser and cell phone games, though. Sega (like Square Enix) is shifting away from high-profile releases. They're trying to move to freemium type stuff.

You can bet it's going to be more digital card games and such. Garbage.
---
-Tom
#77MwarriorHieiPosted 7/21/2013 2:09:15 AM
im expecting atlus to go to microsoft in an effort to make the xb1 look more attractive.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fvUkkgN.gif
#78SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/21/2013 4:57:57 AM
Human-Bean posted...
yankee6903 posted...
Lord_Vishana posted...
Let's be realistic. The most likely scenario is that Nintendo will buy Atlus. They already have a great relationship and the SMT x Fire Emblem collaboration gives them the most motivation.

That would be horrible (same if Sony bought it). They would lose millions of customers. People on 3DS/Wii who want Atlus games already buy them so they would not get an increase in sales, yet they would lose out on sales by axing Sony, MS, etc.

Less money means less games and less innovation.

If Atlus were bought by a platform holder do you believe that they will not be invested in. They do not need millions of sales but enough to offset development costs and return a profit. The platform holder would not want to publish Atlus games for their competition as it is an advantage for them. These games will help differentiate their console(s). In principle Atlus would be another Media Molecule, Rare, or Monolith Soft.

If they get bought by a platform holder, as you put it, that holder assumes all responsibilities: the IPs and the debts. So thinking the holder would just set every employee to new games is poor logic by you.

Some would most likely be fired, just by the nature of current business standards, some could go to other teams, and some IP's would die, plain and simple. Why do so many people think that devs just move all there people and never fire anyone? Why do you think so many devs closed down in the last couple of years?
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 White 2 FC: 2924 7399 0619 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#79blue_manPosted 7/21/2013 5:12:31 AM
To be honest this is good news. Europe may not get so shafted this time.
---
Currently Playing: Lucifer's Call (PS2) Ace Combat (3DS)
#80Bancario51Posted 7/21/2013 6:32:19 AM
Disney should buy it. Its the perfect fit.
---
#XboxWon (not changing this till its truth)
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~