PS1 Final Fantasys

#1TensePsychopathPosted 7/23/2013 5:12:00 AM
I'm finally gonna play my first FF game and I thought it'd be great to get one on the Vita. I've been most interested in IX for a while now, however I do plan to go back to at least VI and VII. Will playing IX first kinda ruin the gameplay of the earlier ones? or did it not evolve much?

Also, how do they run on Vita in general? I saw a video of IX that showed it had gameplay lag.
---
FC: 1134 - 7839 - 7643
#2TensePsychopath(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 5:37:33 AM
Bump.
---
#3JP_SartrePosted 7/23/2013 5:54:17 AM
Have you played Final Fantasy Tactics? Tactics Ogre LUCT? (Not FF, but better than FFT, IMO)
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#4RjmhartPosted 7/23/2013 5:56:27 AM
I haven't heard any problems in how they run on the Vita. I do not think you will have any issues. Be careful with the rear touch pad as that may activate some buttons.

The stories of the Final Fantasies are all separate unless it's something like X-2 or XIII-2. The game play is all very similar for the most part. They have the same spells, so once you get the hang of one you will mostly be ok for all of them, at least 1-9. Some of the later ones in that earlier selection introduced an "active time battle" where each character has a bar that slowly fills up, indicating when they are ready to perform what you told them to do. The only potential draw back to playing the later ones first is you might wish you had the ATB in the earlier ones, and honestly I doubt you will notice too much.

The earliest Final Fantasies will just have the character perform the action right away when the command comes up. Final Fantasy 1 has you pick the actions of the 4 characters at the beginning of every turn, and then the game determines the order in which your characters/enemies perform.

Short answer: Don't worry about the order you play them. These are all very minor differences to gameplay.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#5BerlingerTPosted 7/23/2013 6:01:51 AM
The PSN Version of FFIX has lag across PS3, PSP, and Vita. But pretty much the only time there is ever lag is if you're battling monsters in a forest. Every other time, there is never any lag at all.

Most of the games play very similarly with the earlier games. Each one differs a little in certain things, but overall ATB is generally the same between them. The first FF I played was IX, and I still greatly enjoyed all of the earlier ones.
---
Playing: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (iOS), Tales of Graces F (PS3)
#6Sami1000Posted 7/23/2013 6:33:39 AM
You can play FF games in any order you wish. FF games had somekind of evolution process from 1-4 AFAIK and from that point they are just unique experiences.

FF9 has some issues and that's lag everytime you use items, skills or magic. That lag is slight slowdown which lasts from 1-2 seconds. It doesn't occur in every battle. Then there is huge slowdown in framerate on non story forest battles. I have also experienced framerate drops on world map and certain magic on certain enemies. That's all i remember and don't worry, they are not that bad that you would want to stop playing. Just know that its not your Vita, its the emulator which has the issue.

I haven't tried FF7 on Vita yet but FF8 played flawlessly. Its kinda shame that you'll first FF experience is with Vita instead of ps1 and big tv. FF 7-9 all has one common issue and that's they are not that great on small screen due to huge zooming the games has now and then. Everything is too small to enjoy properly. Its nice to play them now and then but they were made for big screen.
#7staticxtreme5Posted 7/23/2013 12:54:29 PM
IX is a great game to start with. It plays pretty well. It does lag on occasion, but its not often. You should play IX, then VIII then VII. VII has aged the worst, and if you haven't played it before you probably won't like it as much as a lot of people do. Many consider it the greatest FF but most of those people played it at release. Nowadays, going into it with fresh eyes and no nostalgia tied to it, you probably won't feel the same. VIII is also much easier on the eyes. Probably the most underrated of the FF's (since it had to follow VII in my opinion).

I wouldn't recommend playing VI or any of the others before it on Vita as the PS1 classics versions suck. If you have no other alternative I guess it would be okay since VI is must play material, but the load times are atrocious. Having played it on SNES when it released, I couldn't bear to play it on PS1. I guess if you never played it before it might make it a little more bearable since you won't know what to compare it to, but it really is much slower due to the constant load times.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#8Guerrilla SoldierPosted 7/23/2013 1:09:02 PM
FF7's the best. Plays great.
---
Oakland A's fan: 1st in AL West
Keep the A's in Oakland! 2012 AL West Champs
#9TensePsychopath(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 2:22:16 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
IX is a great game to start with. It plays pretty well. It does lag on occasion, but its not often. You should play IX, then VIII then VII. VII has aged the worst, and if you haven't played it before you probably won't like it as much as a lot of people do. Many consider it the greatest FF but most of those people played it at release. Nowadays, going into it with fresh eyes and no nostalgia tied to it, you probably won't feel the same. VIII is also much easier on the eyes. Probably the most underrated of the FF's (since it had to follow VII in my opinion).

I wouldn't recommend playing VI or any of the others before it on Vita as the PS1 classics versions suck. If you have no other alternative I guess it would be okay since VI is must play material, but the load times are atrocious. Having played it on SNES when it released, I couldn't bear to play it on PS1. I guess if you never played it before it might make it a little more bearable since you won't know what to compare it to, but it really is much slower due to the constant load times.

Are load times the only problem with VI?
---
#10BerlingerTPosted 7/23/2013 2:24:37 PM
TensePsychopath posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

Are load times the only problem with VI?

Pretty much, yes. other than it not having the extra summons for the GBA release, the load times are really the only complaint people have. I have gone through it with this version, which is playable. You just gotta be able to deal with those load times.
---
Playing: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (iOS), Tales of Graces F (PS3)