Media Create Sales Week 29.. You know what? You gotta stop that grunting.

#141blunderminePosted 7/26/2013 11:02:24 AM
blm03v posted...
The majority of sales for both systems occur during the 4th quarter, aka the holidays. It's unfair to compare the two since the DS had 3 holiday seasons while the 3ds had 2.

I was comparing full second year DS to full second year 3DS. The extra holiday (which accounted for less than 3m units) isn't going to make much difference.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#142blunderminePosted 7/26/2013 11:10:03 AM
Megaman Omega posted...
blundermine posted...
In 2006, DS sold 21.2m compared with 3DS' 14.8 in 2012. This is a pretty significant gap.

I wouldn't call it "way behind" if it just surpassed the 3DS a few months ago and is ahead of it by about 15% now. Especially not because the DS has one more holiday in the same timeframe. I'm 100% sure the 3DS will outpace the DS again after Pokemon X/Y and the holidays.

DS sold 29.1m units in its third year worldwide. It also had Pokemon Diamond/Pearl come out in all regions except for Japan in 2007 (third year). Right now, the 3DS is a little behind the pace it was on last year (~10% behind in Japan). For it to keep pace with DS, it needs to double last years' total. That's not even close to feasible.
---
#143blunderminePosted 7/26/2013 11:13:26 AM
Nnamz posted...

blundermine posted...
Ugh I'm not saying the Vita is dying. I'm saying you had the wrong approach to your analysis.

What analysis? I'm stating a fact. If Vita sales are improving, it's doing the opposite of drying. If we both agree there is literally nothing left to be said.

Look at this chart:

http://tinyurl.com/lv5t4vn

Everything follows pretty much the same trend: massive growth in the first few years. The size of the growth depends on the console, but all they have significant growth in year 2.

#1. That's the US.

#2. Wii, 360, and PS3 are all massively different when you look past the first 2 years.

#3. All of those systems are still alive primarily because they experienced growth in year 2.

This kind of growth is expected.

Of course it is. Vita's YTD is still extremely low even if it is higher than last year. Vita sales improving over last year isn't some amazing feat, especially given that there was a price cut.

I really think you're not reading what I posted properly :/

I'm telling you that just because a number is increasing doesn't mean it's not dying. If a car is accelerating and then the engine cuts out, the speed is still going to be increasing for the next few seconds. That doesn't mean it's not dying.
---
#144NnamzPosted 7/26/2013 12:53:37 PM
blundermine posted...
I'm telling you that just because a number is increasing doesn't mean it's not dying. If a car is accelerating and then the engine cuts out, the speed is still going to be increasing for the next few seconds. That doesn't mean it's not dying.

Horrible analogy. Vita's increases are due to initiatives and measures taken from Sony and some 3rd parties. It isn't coasting off the sales of some turned up engine.

Also, if the engine cuts off, it's dead, not dying. Moreover, when that happened to me (twice actually, gotta stop buying beaters for the winter) my car DID slow down right away. It didn't continue to climb, and wouldn't have unless I was going downhill.

Sales going up mean the opposite of dying in every sense of the word. Dying means the situation is getting worse, not better. As bad as the Vita situation is, it's better than this time last year in Japan.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.