Why doesnt Sony just release their unused IPs as Vita games?

#1DG1upPosted 8/15/2013 10:45:51 AM
You know, the Syphon Filters, Legend of Dragoons, etc.? It wouldnt hurt the sales of the Vita to have more decent games and it'd be better than their answer to Nintendogs.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#213_TanksPosted 8/15/2013 1:08:17 PM
Probably because they really don't see those properties as porfitable. Even with their cult followings. I wish that they could just buy out an awesome indie dev and get them to work on old properties like the ones you mentioned.
---
Check out what I'm playing this week at:
http://www.gamesmelter.com/what-im-playing-this-week-9/
#3JerseyVitaPosted 8/15/2013 1:21:30 PM
The problem is, most "cult" games are, like the guy above me said, not that popular among the general public, who haven't even heard of, much less played any of said games.
---
If you believe that most indie games aren't glorified flash games, please refrain from responding to my posts. One Call of Duty is better than a thousand indies
#4Stasis_SwordPosted 8/15/2013 1:26:55 PM
Sony is looking for games to increase market share (not games to make us happy). They tried brawl. They're trying nintendogs. Next up is 1st party platformer (Mario) or 1st party racing (Mario Kart).

Too bad they aren't developing an Orcana of Time parallel...
---
"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating... Take it back!" - Xenogears
#5DG1up(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 3:13:10 PM
Stasis_Sword posted...
Sony is looking for games to increase market share (not games to make us happy). They tried brawl. They're trying nintendogs. Next up is 1st party platformer (Mario) or 1st party racing (Mario Kart).

Ehh wasnt Ico supposed to be Sony's answer to Zelda? It wasnt a bad game but it was just really boring in general IMO.

I understand the points made about profitability, but IMO it'd be a much better investment to appeal to core Sony gamers by using some of their unused IPs instead of making a Nintendogs or Smash Bros style game that nobody that games on Sony consoles will want to buy.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#6Stasis_SwordPosted 8/15/2013 3:23:23 PM
DG1up posted...
Stasis_Sword posted...

Ehh wasnt Ico supposed to be Sony's answer to Zelda? It wasnt a bad game but it was just really boring in general IMO.

I understand the points made about profitability, but IMO it'd be a much better investment to appeal to core Sony gamers by using some of their unused IPs instead of making a Nintendogs or Smash Bros style game that nobody that games on Sony consoles will want to buy.

Just to clarify I'm describing what I see Sony doing, not saying I agree with it. If you're a parent who wants to buy Nintendogs for your kids why would you buy the more expensive system? I think a critical mass of solid games (you can't get on a 3DS) would be far more effective.
---
"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating... Take it back!" - Xenogears
#7cheezedadadaPosted 8/15/2013 3:31:41 PM
Maybe they are making a Syphon Filter? There was a rumor about it being made by Bend ...but it was only a rumor.

Otherwise though, in order to release a game it would have to be developed/created. The idea of just releasing the game sounds easy, but it has to exist first before that can happen. Also, like others were saying..a lot of of the games that are respected on here and have a cult following aren't huge sellers. It really could be all sorts of different reasons though.

Going back to my original statement though.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/03/report-syphon-filter-in-development-for-vita
Its old....its a rumor..its probably worthless. But hey, maybe a Syphon Filter IS coming? There was one for the PSP, so its not that far-fetched.
---
"All the PS Vita needs now is Madden '97 and Sony will be printing money" - Aladdin2557 on Vita getting Duke 3D
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#8cheezedadadaPosted 8/15/2013 3:32:41 PM
A more recent article regarding this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/03/playstation-perspective-1-whats-sony-bend-up-to
---
"All the PS Vita needs now is Madden '97 and Sony will be printing money" - Aladdin2557 on Vita getting Duke 3D
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#9Angemon_23Posted 8/15/2013 3:38:11 PM
"Why doesn't Sony just release their unused IPs as Vita games?"

Well, Sony would need money to get good teams to develop good games. Money that Sony either doesn't have or doesn't want to spend on projects that will probably not make a profit.
---
"Angemon_23 already rocked this topic to its very core, and everyone since is just posting in the ashes." - GradyHoover
#10SalsaSavantPosted 8/15/2013 3:38:28 PM
Stasis_Sword posted...

They've done Mario Kart (LBP Racing)

So...Mario clone? Pokemon clone maybe?
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound just got re-released in the US.