If Nintendo was in charge of Vita, do you think it would be doing better?

#1MMZXOPosted 8/17/2013 1:09:23 AM
We're just going to assume for a minute here that it's possible that the people at Nintendo managing the 3DS and those making it the success that it is could get a chance to manage Vita. Vita would still only get games from companies that Sony owns, and the third parties, it's just the management that would be different.

Do you think they could do the job better than Sony, or is Sony handling the Vita just fine?
#2gamercat86Posted 8/17/2013 2:06:18 AM
Using standard SD cards would already make the Vita more approachable. Nintendo would've also done a price drop since that's what the 3DS got. If we assume PS+ is still in place (we're talking about management with their respective companies and partners), it would already give the Vita more value.

The big problem would be the games. Sony has good games, but the likes of Uncharted and Killzone will not drive sales dispite of what some people think. It would need more variety and not just those cinematic experiences. Animal Crossing is a aimple life simulator, but people seem to dig that up. But before that, they would need to create the proper market that accept those games, which at the moment is what Sony doesn't know how to do.
#3TranslatorTomPosted 8/17/2013 2:17:10 AM
When the Virtual Boy didn't sell well, Nintendo cut support almost immediately. Sony is pretty much the only company that sticks with their systems for the long haul, and it usually turns out okay for them in the end.

The problem is the smart phone market taking away casual gamers. That's why the Vita's not selling well, and why the Wii U isn't selling well either. Nintendo was counting on developers being attracted to the Wii as a way of staying in the current gen instead of moving to the next gen, since it worked so well for the Wii... But the casual market isn't biting.

When it comes to the Wii U, I don't think Nintendo is eager to cut and run like they did with the Virtual Boy, because it's still not clear that releasing a true next gen system would do any better. Everybody seems to be playing the waiting game now.
---
-Tom
#4supremeblasterPosted 8/17/2013 2:22:19 AM
TranslatorTom posted...
When the Virtual Boy didn't sell well, Nintendo cut support almost immediately. Sony is pretty much the only company that sticks with their systems for the long haul, and it usually turns out okay for them in the end.

The problem is the smart phone market taking away casual gamers. That's why the Vita's not selling well, and why the Wii U isn't selling well either. Nintendo was counting on developers being attracted to the Wii as a way of staying in the current gen instead of moving to the next gen, since it worked so well for the Wii... But the casual market isn't biting.

When it comes to the Wii U, I don't think Nintendo is eager to cut and run like they did with the Virtual Boy, because it's still not clear that releasing a true next gen system would do any better. Everybody seems to be playing the waiting game now.

Why is the 3DS selling then? Just because?
#5gamercat86Posted 8/17/2013 2:52:45 AM
supremeblaster posted...
TranslatorTom posted...

That's my question too. We were suposed to talk about two handheld system. The Wii U is irrelevant here since the 3DS has the most support, hence OP's curiosity.

All three systems: 3DS, Vita, Wii U had momentum leading up to theor release, even breaking pre-order records. Only one of them lucked out. We don' really know what's going to happen to the other systems or if people will just switch to more powerful PC's.

Btw, Nintendo discontinued the VB because they saw no market for it and they had their main home console and handheld already in place. They dropped it as a failed experiment.
#6TranslatorTomPosted 8/17/2013 7:35:22 AM(edited)
supremeblaster posted...

Not because of casuals...

Reason #1: Digital babysitter for the kids.
Reason #2: Plenty of nostalgic titles for grown ups who want to relive their childhood.
Reason #3: Having 3D graphics makes it catch the eye...
Reason #4: It's cheap to develop for, so there are plenty of "why not" cash-in games from developers, like this one from Bandai Namco... http://sentouchu.bngames.net/howto/rule.php

The original Wii did well because of casuals, just before the smartphone craze began. Now casuals aren't really playing any consoles or handhelds. They just play freemium games on their phones.

The Wii U thought they could repeat their success with casual gamers, but the market for casual games has changed. It's pretty scary, actually.

---
-Tom
#7GloryChaosPosted 8/17/2013 7:53:51 AM
The smartphone market isn't taking away any audience the Vita might have had. Nobody buys phones for the sole purpose of playing video games and the Vita / psp have never tried to cater to a market that wanted to play simplified games to begin with.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#8WickedSickJoshPosted 8/17/2013 7:56:33 AM
It just comes down to the games. Sony's IPs are great but they are nowhere near as popular or as approachable as Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Super Mario or Legend of Zelda. If the Vita is going to survive its going to need better 3rd-party support.

That's the problem though. A lot of 3rd-party developers just aren't as good as the used to be. Not to sound so fanboyish, but Nintendo puts way more quality into their games than most others. Look at guys like Capcom or Square-Enix. They used to be very popular but are now looked down upon by a lot of fans because of their money grubbing tactics (on disc DLC, overpriced DLC, new versions of the same game less than a year later). Other developers like Ubisoft are over-saturating the market with their Assassins Creed series, which could have been a series gold-mine if they would spread out the titles (10 games in 6 years is a bit much). Then there's games like GTA and Call of Duty, but they just work so much better on an actual console.

These are just my opinions, of course. I'm hoping once the PS4 comes out perhaps 3rd-party developers will actually start caring about the Vita just as much as the console. Only time will tell though.
---
Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: OOA (3DS), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Simpsons Tapped Out (iOS)
http://backloggery.com/WickedSickJosh
#9GloryChaosPosted 8/17/2013 8:05:13 AM
I actuallly agree that third party developers tend to put less work into their games these days (with some exceptions). I know everybody makes fun of the flood of indie games on the Vita, but at least indie developers try to make the best game they can without making excuses, cutting corners, and trying to squeeze money out of consumers.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#10godslayer61Posted 8/17/2013 8:08:50 AM
supremeblaster posted...
TranslatorTom posted...

because there are more kids that want it so there moms buy it plus it is cheaper for them , the vita is straight gameing for true gamers and adults my 3ds is just lame there are 4 good games and they even look nasty and play worse than the vita
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-0361-6138-6925