thinking of buying Ys series but...

#11Mister MoneyPosted 8/20/2013 7:05:26 AM
All the Ys games are good. Play them all.
---
My PS Vita Systems: Cosmic Red (Japan), Sapphire Blue (Japan), Crystal White (USA).
#12talesfan215Posted 8/20/2013 7:08:06 AM
Starwars4J posted...
GuitaristMatt posted...
Starwars4J posted...
In what world is $15 for a full game too much? Kids are so spoiled these days with crappy $1 phone games it's amazing

Well most of us just bought Sims 3, Dead Space 1, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, Burnout: ULtimate Box, and a couple other games for a total price of $5

My point exactly. While services like the iOS store and steam (not that different) are convenient in the short term, they absolutely destroy the actual value of games, leading people to balk at the idea of paying even greatly reduced prices ($15 for a game, which is a GREAT deal). This in turn leads to lower sales until said sale prices come around on digital services. This further in turn decreases the amount of money devs and publishers make on games.

Why does this matter to you? With the number of studios that went out of business last gen because of reduced return you should see what the problem is. You're laughing all the way to the next gaming crash. And all of that because you're incredibly spoiled.

To be fair, so little games are worth it these days. Look at all those companies that made great RPG's on PS2. Only Tales series is still around.
---
It's funny, people say Vita has no games, yet defend a port to no end like MH3U, then hate on P4: Golden like its a direct, direct port. Hilarious irony.
#13krizz07Posted 8/20/2013 7:34:19 AM
Starwars4J posted...
GuitaristMatt posted...
Starwars4J posted...
In what world is $15 for a full game too much? Kids are so spoiled these days with crappy $1 phone games it's amazing

Well most of us just bought Sims 3, Dead Space 1, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, Burnout: ULtimate Box, and a couple other games for a total price of $5

My point exactly. While services like the iOS store and steam (not that different) are convenient in the short term, they absolutely destroy the actual value of games, leading people to balk at the idea of paying even greatly reduced prices ($15 for a game, which is a GREAT deal). This in turn leads to lower sales until said sale prices come around on digital services. This further in turn decreases the amount of money devs and publishers make on games.

Why does this matter to you? With the number of studios that went out of business last gen because of reduced return you should see what the problem is. You're laughing all the way to the next gaming crash. And all of that because you're incredibly spoiled.

lol no, they don't lose money by making the price very low. why do you think devs keep on putting games on steam? hardcore gamers and fans of a specific game will definitely buy the game on day 1. by selling the games for a very low price after a couple of years, people who wouldn't normally buy the game still end up buying. this is a plus for publishers as it allows their games to reach a wider audience and in turn buy the sequels at full price after they become a fan. see, it's just a cycle.

and don't be surprised by studios closing, that has been going on wayyyy before the last gen even started, you just don't hear about them before. don't think that these console companies jack up the price because they think that's the game's worth.
#14Klon_RedfieldPosted 8/20/2013 7:42:10 AM
I can't believe TC considers $15 expensive for a psp game, most are $20 >_>, the Ys series is cheap if anything.

Buy them on steam if you can't deal with it and have a controller, they've been on sale for $5.
---
Playing: Etrian Odyssey II (DS), SMT: Nocturne (PS2), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
#15cheezedadadaPosted 8/20/2013 7:42:58 AM
The overall important fact here is that Ys Seven is worth 50 bucks....nevermind 15.
---
Use this whenever someone gets 'served' - http://i.imgur.com/VQLGJOL.gif
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#16GhetsisPosted 8/20/2013 7:46:25 AM
poldual posted...
ok last question, how bad is the loading times for Ys: The Ark of Napishtim? takes about a minute?

They're pretty bad. Around ten seconds, if I remember correctly, and you change screens fairly often.

However, the PS2 version has a horrid art style. I would suggest getting the PC version. Best graphics, absolutely no load/save times, and it's the only version made by Falcom (in other words, not a cheap port by Konami.) It has a translation patch, so it's in English as well. I heard it might get put on Steam soon, but I'm not sure.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#17GradyHooverPosted 8/20/2013 7:46:28 AM
poldual posted...
....it's so expensive; $14.99 for each Ys game? isn't that overpriced?

No.

Because I paid $30-$40 for each game on PSP... after I found that Ys: Oath in Felghana is a religious experience, my favorite game of that year.

And I would've paid more.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#18GradyHooverPosted 8/20/2013 7:47:36 AM
poldual posted...
ok last question, how bad is the loading times for Ys: The Ark of Napishtim? takes about a minute?

If there's one Ys game on the PSP that you should skip, that's the one. Get XSEED's three releases, especially Oath in Felghana and Ys Seven.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#19Prince ShondronaiPosted 8/20/2013 8:09:22 AM
Mister Money posted...
All the Ys games are good. Play them all.

This. I picked them all up for full retail price, and don't regret it one little bit. One of the best adventure franchises out there. Adol Christin is The Man.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#20Mister MoneyPosted 8/20/2013 8:11:51 AM
GradyHoover posted...
poldual posted...

If there's one Ys game on the PSP that you should skip, that's the one. Get XSEED's three releases, especially Oath in Felghana and Ys Seven.

For Ark of Napishtim, get the PS2 version.
---
My PS Vita Systems: Cosmic Red (Japan), Sapphire Blue (Japan), Crystal White (USA).