The Vita should've come out next year with nonproprietary memory cards.

#1DarthLaharlPosted 9/4/2013 10:48:12 AM
Instead they released it in 2011 with overpriced proprietary memory and ports and it is the laughing stock of the video game industry.

Think about if the Vita launched in October 2014 with all the worthwhile games it has now as launch titles. With an SD card slot? The Vita was rushed onto the market with like 2 worthwhile launch games and proprietary memory against a newly pricecut 3DS with Monster Hunter, Ocarina Of Time, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart. Then it had to face further shame at the hands of; Bravely Defualt, Animal Crossing NL, more Mario, Pheonix Wright, Professor Layton, etc etc etc.

All the while we got a gem here and there and with ZERO western support. Plus, Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon X/Y incoming to deal a Super-Effective Critical hit to the Vita's hardware and software sales.

I prefer playing third party games on my Vita (and other Playstation products) over my 3DS so when I see games like SMT lV on the 3DS instead of the Vita it's a little upsetting. It's like when Sony fell off the top after the abysmal PS3 launch and the few years that followed they forgot how they ever got on top in the first place, Solid third party exclusives( including high quality, none Moe JRPGs)( all of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful JRPGs in history were on the PS1/PS2) and not blowing money on all of these "interactive drama movies" disquised as video games that they put out now.

More proof that they've lost themselves after the PS3 era is the fact that the PS4 has absolutely nothing that warrants a purchase from a Japanese consumer. Yep, a Japanese company launching a Japanese product everywhere but Japan because they have nothing that appeals to Japanese people, lol. Don't get it wrong, the PS4 is looking to have a very good launch. But only because Microsoft literally shot themselves in the foot with the XB1 and Nintendo released an over priced paperweight with a gimmick that no one was excited about.

The money and R&D that they're wasting on VR helmets that'll probably cost more than $1000 if not sold at a loss and will likely be faulty as hell, would be put to better use on a Vita revision that uses SD cards or securing better third party exclusives for the Vita or the PS4(which desperately needs it)

TL;DR?

Someone more competent needs to buy the PlayStation brand from Sony.
---
Waiting for FF X/X-2, Y's Memories Of Celceta, Toukiden, Infamous: Second Son, The Guided Fate Paradox, Pokemon X, Sorcery Saga, Tearaway, Destiny, and Knack
#2GradyHooverPosted 9/4/2013 10:48:35 AM
No.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#3GuitaristMattPosted 9/4/2013 10:53:50 AM
I was literally just thinking this, but even February of this year would have been better. They wouldn't have to stress about advertisement as much and the psp would've lived a bit.

November last year would have been the earliest too launch. I can see their thinking behind it, but still.
---
What does it mean if the PS Button glows blue?
"orcs are near" -OMG_A_PONY
#4VegantoKeensPosted 9/4/2013 11:20:43 AM
I find it weird that this has been so much of a repeat of the PS3, but on a market where they had way less footing so it seems worse. Sony really has slipped up, somewhere in management it all went really wrong. Some ass kisser must have dug his way into a high seat a couple of times.

The PS4 in Japan thing isn't weird though. It is the Japanese people that only want to play games on a 3DS and a phone, that have killed console sales there. Japanese gaming as a whole seems a wrung out ghost of its former self. JRPGs are down to a few anime based handheld games. Big Japanese based companies like SE and Capcom gave them quite the big FU this gen and turned their eyes on us. All in all it is really unfortunate and I'm kinda pissed off FF and RE turned into westernized action movie crap fests. DMC is dead, DQ and SO are barely heard off.

I don't believe there is anyone more competent out there though. Microsoft would rather lock you inside your house, download commercials into your brain and have your pay check directly forwarded to Xbox Live in order to play a game. Nintendo would rather step out of the competition of high quality devices and keep to their own nostalgic 4 first party titles and let 3rd party and console gaming wither and die. Valve would rather sell cheap console ports and indies, instead of finishing their own amazing first party titles. Sony is the only one that seems to want to work on every aspect. First party and third party, console and handhelds, keeping some form of humanity.

The PS4 aim to work with and make it easy for developers seems really great. They seem to have a great guy running the PS4 project, it is a shame they don't have another one to run the Vita show.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#5BerlingerTPosted 9/4/2013 11:25:57 AM
Every video game system has ports on it. Ports are especially apparent with handhelds. Ports have been a big part of the whole gist behind handhelds. It's "We have a handheld that can handle THIS game."

The GBA was "Now we have a handheld that can handle SNES games like Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, and Final Fantasy VI. DS was "Now we have a handheld that can handle 3D games like Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing". The PSP was "We have a handheld that can handle Star Wars Battlefront II and Midnight Club 3". The 3DS has been "Now we have a handheld that can handle Ocarina of Time and Street Fighter IV" and the Vita has been "Now we have a handheld that can handle Metal Gear Solid 3 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3"

Ports have been a huge thing with portables since forever. It's the idea of showing that portables can handle games previously only capable of being played on home consoles.

It also launched with some pretty impressive exclusive launch titles. Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush were and are great games.
---
http://www.postloop.com/invite/BerlingerTG
Now Playing: Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland (PS Vita), The Walking Dead (PS Vita)
#6DarthLaharl(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 11:37:15 AM
VegantoKeens posted...
I find it weird that this has been so much of a repeat of the PS3, but on a market where they had way less footing so it seems worse. Sony really has slipped up, somewhere in management it all went really wrong. Some ass kisser must have dug his way into a high seat a couple of times.

The PS4 in Japan thing isn't weird though. It is the Japanese people that only want to play games on a 3DS and a phone, that have killed console sales there. Japanese gaming as a whole seems a wrung out ghost of its former self. JRPGs are down to a few anime based handheld games. Big Japanese based companies like SE and Capcom gave them quite the big FU this gen and turned their eyes on us. All in all it is really unfortunate and I'm kinda pissed off FF and RE turned into westernized action movie crap fests. DMC is dead, DQ and SO are barely heard off.

I don't believe there is anyone more competent out there though. Microsoft would rather lock you inside your house, download commercials into your brain and have your pay check directly forwarded to Xbox Live in order to play a game. Nintendo would rather step out of the competition of high quality devices and keep to their own nostalgic 4 first party titles and let 3rd party and console gaming wither and die. Valve would rather sell cheap console ports and indies, instead of finishing their own amazing first party titles. Sony is the only one that seems to want to work on every aspect. First party and third party, console and handhelds, keeping some form of humanity.

The PS4 aim to work with and make it easy for developers seems really great. They seem to have a great guy running the PS4 project, it is a shame they don't have another one to run the Vita show.

I agree with this 100%
Star Ocean and Breath Of Fire have been reduced to phone/browser garbage.
---
Waiting for FF X/X-2, Y's Memories Of Celceta, Toukiden, Infamous: Second Son, The Guided Fate Paradox, Pokemon X, Sorcery Saga, Tearaway, Destiny, and Knack