Opinion: PS Vita TV poised to shake up the 'microconsole' race

#11Natureboy99(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 7:19:49 AM
L0L_FAQ posted...
I love my Vita but I'm not going to buy a Vita TV. The reason is simple; there are a dozen alternatives available with much better media options. I already have 200ft of HDMI cabling for my PS3, 360, Wii U and HTPC from my living room to my bedroom upstairs, and they're hooked up to an HDMI switchbox. It is much cheaper and more useful to run the cabling than to buy a Vita TV. Secondly, for my lounge, for $100, I recently bought an Android device that I can manipulate to my heart's content for $90 that is hooked up to the TV. It is networked to my main PC and its 3+ terabytes of music, movies, TV shows and emulators and runs Angstrom Linux. It can also output 8.1 surround sound to my home theatre system and is generally much more powerful than the Vita TV ever has any hope of being. As far as an actual media box is concerned, it is not the best thing out there.

However, your average gamer is a complete and utter moron. Your average gamer isn't as industrious, savvy and intelligent as L0L_FAQ and would rather pay $100 for an inferior device than shell out $100-ish once and for all for a networkable device and about $50-100 in cabling and signal repeaters. For these slower witted people, the Vita TV is the perfect companion device to the PS4.

But think about that for a second. A perfect companion device to the PS4. Slowly and gradually, that is what the Vita is being reduced to. A companion device. Soon, the system will be a footnote on the PS4's shiny history and nothing more. The more people that buy the Vita TV, the worse the Vita situation will get for you, the gamer. The only solution is to boycott it.

How is it worse? It means bigger install base for the platform, which guarantees fresh exclusive games. You are way over thinking it man.
---
Voted class of 2079 most likely to abuse time travel
#12BahamutBBobPosted 9/11/2013 7:52:43 AM
I don't really need a microconsole. Everything I would use one for, my PS3 can already do. Streaming videos from my computer, watching Netflix, and watching Hulu.

Vita TV has an advantage: I can play Vita and PSP games on my TV.

This is why, for me, Vita TV would win. Sure, it can't run emulators, but how often would I actually run emulators on an Ouya? Probably not very often. I keep meaning to go back and re-play older games, but I've been satisfied with new games that are coming out.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#13MMaestroPosted 9/11/2013 8:04:50 AM
Wtf is a microconsole?
#14Natureboy99(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 9:36:38 AM
BahamutBBob posted...
I don't really need a microconsole. Everything I would use one for, my PS3 can already do. Streaming videos from my computer, watching Netflix, and watching Hulu.

Vita TV has an advantage: I can play Vita and PSP games on my TV.

This is why, for me, Vita TV would win. Sure, it can't run emulators, but how often would I actually run emulators on an Ouya? Probably not very often. I keep meaning to go back and re-play older games, but I've been satisfied with new games that are coming out.

It will have arguably the best ps1 emulator, which is nothing to sneeze at.
---
#15Natureboy99(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 9:39:29 AM
MMaestro posted...
Wtf is a microconsole?

A very small console that runs games. They have gotten more interest lately with the android based boxes. This one runs PlayStation games, most impressively, Vita games and ps4 streaming. This thing will sell well for the ps4 streaming alone. Its a big deal
---