Is Concenption 2 the 1st VITA/3DS game that sold more on the VITA?

#1j2zon2591Posted 9/15/2013 12:28:27 AM
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/28/japanese-sales-charts-playstation-3-outsells-playstation-vita/

VITA = 18K
3DS = 5K

Has this happened before to other JPN games?

(I'm assuming that equivalent FIFA 3DS sold better on the VITA)
#2legendaryhero99Posted 9/15/2013 3:01:23 AM
To be fair Conception 1 came out for PSP. Who is more likely to buy the sequel, PlayStation fans who played the first game or newcomers to the series with the 3DS? That's why it isn't weird to see the Vita sell more.
---
psn:jamjamthelegend
http://backloggery.com/legendaryhero99
#3j2zon2591(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 4:31:32 AM
legendaryhero99 posted...
To be fair Conception 1 came out for PSP. Who is more likely to buy the sequel, PlayStation fans who played the first game or newcomers to the series with the 3DS? That's why it isn't weird to see the Vita sell more.

Was this the 1st time it happened?

Now that makes me think that MH4 being exclusive to the VITA could sell just as well (or more) than the 3DS version (in reality).. going by that analogy.
#4mikebrand83Posted 9/15/2013 4:52:26 AM
They also reportedly made and shipped only half as many copies of the 3DS version out to stores as they did with the PS Vita version (30k vs 60k), and from what I've seen they also focused advertising more on the Vita version.

Not to mention that the last game from Spike Chunsoft with 3DS/Vita dual platform release was Virtue's Last Reward, where the 3DS version was senselessly and unnecessarily short-changed compared to the Vita version on things such as having only one save slot (which made absolutely no sense, given that both the 3DS and Vita currently are still sticking with 1 GB ~ 4 GB game cart storage limit, even though both could go up to at least 8 GB). So it's possible a "once bitten, twice shy" factor was involved.

... Also, while I haven't seen the raw figures myself (otherwise I'd just quote and link those), hearsay claims that the original version of Conception on PSP (which had a massively larger install base than the Vita) only sold through around 50% of its 30k initial shipment in its first week. That suggests the combined 23k first week sales for Conception II was pretty much already hitting the peak initial demand for the game.
#5j2zon2591(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 4:58:59 AM
mikebrand83 posted...
They also reportedly made and shipped only half as many copies of the 3DS version out to stores as they did with the PS Vita version (30k vs 60k), and from what I've seen they also focused advertising more on the Vita version.

Not to mention that the last game from Spike Chunsoft with 3DS/Vita dual platform release was Virtue's Last Reward, where the 3DS version was senselessly and unnecessarily short-changed compared to the Vita version on things such as having only one save slot (which made absolutely no sense, given that both the 3DS and Vita currently are still sticking with 1 GB ~ 4 GB game cart storage limit, even though both could go up to at least 8 GB). So it's possible a "once bitten, twice shy" factor was involved.

... Also, while I haven't seen the raw figures myself (otherwise I'd just quote and link those), hearsay claims that the original version of Conception on PSP (which had a massively larger install base than the Vita) only sold through around 50% of its 30k initial shipment in its first week. That suggests the combined 23k first week sales for Conception II was pretty much already hitting the peak initial demand for the game.

Wow! just 1 save slot? Can't they patch that?

What was their explanation?

Any data on how much VLR 3DS sold compared to VITA?
#6mikebrand83Posted 9/15/2013 5:43:03 AM
j2zon2591 posted...

None ever given, as far as I know. The 3DS version was also only given one colour (green) for the memo function, when the Vita version had three (green/red/blue).

And that isn't even the worst of it:
The 3DS version, or at least the English localised version, has a potentially save game corrupting bug (when saving in puzzle rooms, and while some people encounter it, others save in those rooms and never get it... It's pretty random), that isn't present in the Vita version, that could have been potentially alleviated by having the same three save slots the Vita version got.

... Well, at least the 3DS does have a more accurate and natural touch interface. For the Vita version, even with a capacitive stylus, I ended up almost exclusively using only shoulder buttons + left stick to navigate and interact with the game.

For the Japanese version of VLR:

(12th) 3DS version: 9,307
(15th) Vita version: 6,538

... Not that surprising, considering the lukewarm reception 999 got in Japan as well. However, it should be noted that it was also released on the same week as New Love Plus and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on the 3DS.

Source:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120222078/
#7j2zon2591(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 5:47:30 AM
mikebrand83 posted...
j2zon2591 posted...

None ever given, as far as I know. The 3DS version was also only given one colour (green) for the memo function, when the Vita version had three (green/red/blue).

And that isn't even the worst of it:
The 3DS version, or at least the English localised version, has a potentially save game corrupting bug (when saving in puzzle rooms, and while some people encounter it, others save in those rooms and never get it... It's pretty random), that isn't present in the Vita version, that could have been potentially alleviated by having the same three save slots the Vita version got.

... Well, at least the 3DS does have a more accurate and natural touch interface. For the Vita version, even with a capacitive stylus, I ended up almost exclusively using only shoulder buttons + left stick to navigate and interact with the game.

For the Japanese version of VLR:

(12th) 3DS version: 9,307
(15th) Vita version: 6,538

... Not that surprising, considering the lukewarm reception 999 got in Japan as well. However, it should be noted that it was also released on the same week as New Love Plus and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on the 3DS.

Source:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120222078/

WOW so it's really an underrated game eh (at least from my vita boards impression).

The VITA controls feel off when I played the game and I sure would have loved the stylus for accurate note scribbles.

If only the VITA had more RAM, I would probably consistently use the Screenshot feature (it takes me back to the options menu instead of directly to the screenshot).
#8TranslatorTomPosted 9/15/2013 6:32:17 AM
Time Travelers also sold more on the Vita.
---
-Tom
#9mikebrand83Posted 9/15/2013 7:13:30 AM
TranslatorTom posted...
Time Travelers also sold more on the Vita.

Though only by a difference of 3%, with 9,332 on Vita against 9,054 on 3DS.

Source:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/18/this-week-in-sales-time-travelers-tells-its-tale/
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/15/2013 7:26:14 AM
It probably has to do with Vita having less competition for the game.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64