PS4 to Vita remote play lag demonstrated

#1co1onelPosted 9/19/2013 7:43:34 PM(edited)
http://i.picpar.com/tHv.gif

This gif goes frame-by-frame of a section from IGN's test of remote play. You can easily see the lag when it changes scenes. The game on the vita is about 2 frames behind what's on the tv.

We can't say for sure because we don't know about the latency of the tv itself, but this would be about 67ms of delay. This is not a bad thing though, as 67ms would hardly be noticeable, if at all noticeable when playing realtime. Fighting games would be the only thing that would give you a hard time.

Also remember that this is over a local connection, not over the internet.

If you haven't already watch IGN's preview of remote play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmlgVTMKgM&hd=1

They said it works very well, and is very comparable to playing on a Wii U pad.
---
++++======+++++----|=
#2arclouks_xPosted 9/19/2013 7:54:57 PM
it's not going.to be perfect obviously but I believe it will be.good.
---
PSN:JustArc_/arclouksx
Now playing:Pixel Junk Monsters HD,Divekick.
#3XphoenixedgeXPosted 9/19/2013 8:02:12 PM
With that amount of lag, I will never try remote play for fighting games. I can only see myself using it for RPGs and such.
#4Starwars4JPosted 9/19/2013 8:08:34 PM
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too. The people who thought they'd be able to emulate a Wii U experience were fooling themselves.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5sworderPosted 9/19/2013 8:20:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6sworderPosted 9/19/2013 8:21:25 PM
Eh, it's for single player experiences. Anyone playing multiplayer on the Vita is doing it wrong when they have a PS4
#7flame030191Posted 9/19/2013 8:36:31 PM
Starwars4J posted...
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too. The people who thought they'd be able to emulate a Wii U experience were fooling themselves.

You realize the gamepad also has lag when you play on it's screen, right? You also notice where IGN stated that it's very similar to playing on the gamepad?

PS3's remote play was essentially in beta form. It worked, but had lots of noticeable lag. PS4 has improved hardware, including networking features which, yes, does include remote play.
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
Call of Duty 2 is still the best of the series.
#8colis12Posted 9/19/2013 8:39:45 PM
Watching that video, it's a lot smoother than I thought it would be, I could definitely enjoy single player games with this.
---
pie good
#9Starwars4JPosted 9/19/2013 8:55:54 PM
flame030191 posted...
You realize the gamepad also has lag when you play on it's screen, right? You also notice where IGN stated that it's very similar to playing on the gamepad?

Actually there's literally no lag when playing on the gamepad. The screen refreshes actually before the TV does.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-gamepad-latency-analysis

Seriously I thought everyone knew this. You really thought the Wii U was as bad as the Vita?

we could find absolutely no difference between the input latencies of the PlayStation 3D monitor and the Wii U GamePad based on the 60FPS sample we got from our camera. We've slowed down our camera shots here, so you can see the results of our testing

PS3's remote play was essentially in beta form. It worked, but had lots of noticeable lag. PS4 has improved hardware, including networking features which, yes, does include remote play.

The hardware on the PS4 is irrelevant if the chokepoint is in the Vita. It simply doesn't have the necessary hardware for lag-free streaming.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#10MMaestroPosted 9/19/2013 9:02:00 PM
flame030191 posted...
Starwars4J posted...

Yeah, but Nintendo doesn't force developers to support Wii U gamepad off-screen play. Sony does.

Nintendo: For a high speed game 60FPS fighting game or FPS; don't want off-screen play? Fine, don't put it in. (Protip: don't play MH Ultimate off-screen with lag)

Sony: For a high speed game 60FPS fighting game or FPS; don't want off-screen play? Too bad, put it in. (OMFG, games like CoD or Killzone will be unplayable off-screen with lag)