PS4 to Vita remote play lag demonstrated

#51MetalZoicPosted 9/20/2013 8:48:31 AM
MMaestro posted...
flame030191 posted...
MMaestro posted...
Nnamz posted...
wstfld posted...
If it works like in the video, it'll be fine.

This. It's way better than Remote Play on PS3 if this is what's to be expected. 2-frame lag won't be noticeable under normal circumstances in the vast majority of games (only fighting games come to mind really).

I wonder how it'll perform over a network? My expectation is that only slower (turn based) games will be playable, but we;ll see.

This video IS over a local network.

He's talking about PSN.

Playing a PS4-Vita Remote Play game via PSN sounds a bad joke.

PS4 > Router > Modem > Internet > PSN > Internet > Modem > Router > Vita

Theres a reason why PC gamers don't give a crap about cloud gaming despite having had Online and Gaikai for years.

I played through probably half of SotN via Remote Play over the internet using a fairly slow/weak wifi connection and had no problems.

There was a very slight lag between button press and action, but it was easy to adjust for and I didn't even notice it after playing a bit. That game is fairly action/platform/fighting heavy and it wasn't an issue. If the PS4 has smoothed Remote Play even more than it shouldn't be a problem playing anywhere with a decent connection (and a fast home connection).
#52TerotrousPosted 9/20/2013 8:50:53 AM
GameDesignerSage posted...
Welp, looks like we better not game on TVs then because the chances are the Vita stream will update faster than a vast majority of TVs.

TVs with substantial input lag are universally considered horrible for gaming purposes. That's why people use Game modes on such TVs if they have them.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#53ShankspearePosted 9/20/2013 9:05:55 AM
Starwars4J posted...
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too. The people who thought they'd be able to emulate a Wii U experience were fooling themselves.

Seriously. But actually it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully it gets better as time goes on.
#54kewldude475Posted 9/20/2013 9:07:59 AM
Starwars4J posted...
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too.

I played Shadow of the Colossus via Remote Play and experienced no lag.
---
http://i.imgur.com/0hvWk7u.jpg
#55MMaestroPosted 9/20/2013 9:29:29 AM
MetalZoic posted...
I played through probably half of SotN via Remote Play over the internet using a fairly slow/weak wifi connection and had no problems.

There was a very slight lag between button press and action, but it was easy to adjust for and I didn't even notice it after playing a bit. That game is fairly action/platform/fighting heavy and it wasn't an issue. If the PS4 has smoothed Remote Play even more than it shouldn't be a problem playing anywhere with a decent connection (and a fast home connection).

Sony fanboys are in full defense mode.
#56mike_411Posted 9/20/2013 9:54:20 AM
kewldude475 posted...
Starwars4J posted...
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too.

I played Shadow of the Colossus via Remote Play and experienced no lag.

Unfortunately I did.
I didn't have too much with Tokyo Jungle though.
---
I wish all weapons & armor looked identical.
#57LiquiDZerOPosted 9/20/2013 10:52:29 AM
MMaestro posted...
LiquiDZerO posted...
that's an incorrect statement. with the ps3 remote play was optional, as a result very few devs actually bothered with it.

ps4's remote play is done via the console itself therefore the devs aren't required for hard coding the feature in.

Having the PS4 do the processing has nothing to do with the bandwidth lag between the PS4 and the Vita. If I put 500 cell phones all downloading the Library of Congress via Wi-Fi next to your Vita, it doesn't matter how fast the PS4 processes the game, you're gonna lag due to network interference.

If you looked at what I quoted from you, I'm referring to your argument that the PS4 "forces" developers to implement remote play, whereas the Wii U doesn't. That is why my second statement, which you are quoting, refers to remote play on the PS3 being optional. That is also why my next statement also talks about how devs aren't required to code remote play in. I spoke nothing about lag, nor did the article I cited.
---
"I can't begin to count the number of agents whose lives were saved by a cardboard box." -Snake
#58CompassPosted 9/20/2013 11:04:16 AM
Megaman Omega posted...
ServantOfSony posted...
LMAO wait, why would you be bothered by lag from another screen.

It's what happens on the VITA that matters.

ServantOfSony is demonstrating his complete lack of technological knowledge. ;)

The hardware actually processing the game is in the PS4. What actually happens in the game happens when it happens in the PS4, not when it shows up on the Vita. Anyone who has ever played a game online knows how crappy it is to play a game with lag.

This. lol, SOS.
#59Kazuhira07Posted 9/20/2013 1:13:00 PM
Starwars4J posted...
Why is anyone surprised? The Vita lagged with the PS3, of course it would lag with the PS4 too. The people who thought they'd be able to emulate a Wii U experience were fooling themselves.

You're so mad lol.
---
PSN: Kazuhira07
Currently playing: Final Fantasy IX
#60tacobelltrayPosted 9/20/2013 1:23:20 PM
The Killzone devs ported this engine over to remote play. Just think of it as playing games with a "realistic feel," a.k.a. laggy controls deliberately used to compensate for poor performance. ;)