As fast as technology advances, the PS Vita will eventually need to be upgraded?

#1bellzemoPosted 9/20/2013 6:03:41 AM
How often would you like the Vita to be upgraded? - Results (86 votes)
every year
12.79% (11 votes)
every other year
12.79% (11 votes)
every 3 years
24.42% (21 votes)
every 4 years
5.81% (5 votes)
every 5 years
26.74% (23 votes)
every 6-10 years
17.44% (15 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was thinking this morning how fast technology advances and how phones get upgrades at least once a year. I was thinking that the Vita in a year will be so far behind it won't even be noticed by some people (not that anyone notices it now :P). I personally think every other year the system could be updated, but game compatibility needs to be addressed.

I think 2 of the main issues will lie in what games are compatible with the previous model and how will the old games be updated to work with a faster processor and faster RAM?
---
All that once was will be.
#2TheKonamiManPosted 9/20/2013 6:05:08 AM
Has any other console or handheld been updated in the manner you are talking about?
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/TheKonamiMan/sig/SilentSig.jpg
|A|L|I|E|N|S| - My Anti-Drug
#3halfelven23Posted 9/20/2013 6:06:31 AM
are you new to home console video games industry?
---
PSN ID: Gogunners23
#4bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:11:50 AM
TheKonamiMan posted...
Has any other console or handheld been updated in the manner you are talking about?

This is the year 2013 handheld technology needs to stay relevant. In the past there wasn't as much competition. With Tablets, phones, Laptops, and the 3DS, the Vita needs to keep its edge.

PC and mobile gaming is always growing and has a much larger share of the market then it ever had in the past as it is becoming increasingly easier and faster to reach the consumers. Consoles used to own more share cause it was easy to buy a game and get it playing with little effort. They really have no edge anymore over the competition.
---
#5bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:13:13 AM
halfelven23 posted...
are you new to home console video games industry?

Nope. I am just not arrogant enough to think the industry isn't changing.
---
#6Megaman OmegaPosted 9/20/2013 7:21:45 AM(edited)
bellzemo posted...
This is the year 2013 handheld technology needs to stay relevant. In the past there wasn't as much competition. With Tablets, phones, Laptops, and the 3DS, the Vita needs to keep its edge.

lolno

With graphic walls getting harder and harder, it would need such an "upgrade" less than ever. Back then in Gen 2-5, the differences that 5 years made were day and night. Compared to that, today's "jumps" in power are hardly noticeable. You could make the PS3 1000 times as powerful and the difference wouldn't be as noticeable as going from NES to SNES.

bellzemo posted...
PC and mobile gaming is always growing and has a much larger share of the market then it ever had in the past as it is becoming increasingly easier and faster to reach the consumers.

PC gaming is growing? I don't think so. Also, most mobile gamers don't care about real games. It's a different market. Just look at how horribly the OUYA and the shield bombed. The mobile gaming crowd isn't ready to actually pay money for gaming hardware, they only play them because they're mostly free on their lolphone that they already own.

bellzemo posted...
Consoles used to own more share cause it was easy to buy a game and get it playing with little effort. They really have no edge anymore over the competition.

Just look at the games most mobile users play. Do you really think that "moar grafix" would get them to play a dedicated system? No. If anything, the idea of having to press buttons scares them.

TheKonamiMan posted...

It has never happened because it's so ridiculous even in an industry where you see bedlam concepts such as the Gizmondo, PSPgo, Virtual Boy, and so on. A big point in dedicated gaming systems is that they get supported for 5+ years without being succeeded a year down the road.
---
LOL at all the whiners and trolls. They know Vita tv and new model will kill all competition. Festering wounds for the Nintendrones by the gallons. - karissa1
#7bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 8:05:51 AM(edited)
Megaman Omega posted...
lolno

With graphic walls getting harder and harder, it would need such an "upgrade" less than ever. Back then in Gen 2-5, the differences that 5 years made were day and night. Compared to that, today's "jumps" in power are hardly noticeable. You could make the PS3 1000 times as powerful and the difference wouldn't be as noticeable as going from NES to SNES.

PC gaming is growing? I don't think so. Also, most mobile gamers don't care about real games. It's a different market. Just look at how horribly the OUYA and the shield bombed. The mobile gaming crowd isn't ready to actually pay money for gaming hardware, they only play them because they're mostly free on their lolphone that they already own.

Just look at the games most mobile users play. Do you really think that "moar grafix" would get them to play a dedicated system? No. If anything, the idea of having to press buttons scares them.

It has never happened because it's so ridiculous even in an industry where you see bedlam concepts such as the Gizmondo, PSPgo, Virtual Boy, and so on. A big point in dedicated gaming systems is that they get supported for 5+ years without being succeeded a year down the road.

Ok, first of all the step between PS2 and PS3 were very noticeable and we have yet to see what PS4 is going to look like compared to PS3 so your first point has no bearing.

Second you may believe that PC gaming is not growing but it is.Steam has grown 75% both in 2012 and in 2013. Mobile gamers play games of all types and the number of more graphic intense games are growing and even big companies are going mobile.

Third Moar graphics is only part of the equation. You have a console (PS Vita) that is not just a gaming machine it does it all. More RAM would help with the multitasking it can and will do in the future.

Fourth PSP was upgraded and so was the DS with the DSi.

I guess living in a wealthy area of USA may influence my perception. I see people upgrading phones everyday and I think it would be wise to upgrade the PS Vita not just to make a better experience but to keep up with the rest of the competition.
---
#8sworderPosted 9/20/2013 8:12:38 AM
lol at keeping up with the competition

you mean the irrelevant smartphone gaming that no one that has/wants a Vita cares about or the overwhelming 3DS with far inferior specs?

you have literally no idea about what matters in handheld gaming
#9bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 8:43:55 AM(edited)
sworder posted...
lol at keeping up with the competition

you mean the irrelevant smartphone gaming that no one that has/wants a Vita cares about or the overwhelming 3DS with far inferior specs?

you have literally no idea about what matters in handheld gaming

I don't you are correct. I have only been playing handhelds since 1989 and living under a rock.

Smartphones are only a faction in the war against gaming as we know it. Sony is directly combating Smartphones with their do all machine. Sony has basically made a Smartphone with controllers built into it and is cranking out experiences that can be had on a phone, PC or another Playstation for cheaper. Nintendo has the budget machine cranking out quality for a cheap price and they are offering experiences that no one else does.

Do you really think that Nintendo and Sony are the only players fighting over a piece of the pie?
---
#10sworderPosted 9/20/2013 9:06:11 AM
The Vita is not competing with the smartphone market. It cannot compete with. There is no point for anyone to get a Vita to use it for what they already use their phones for

Originally, these people were forced to get a handheld but now they don't have to. Trying to appeal to them is a waste of money. Phones are subsidized by carriers, the Vita could never hope to keep up