As fast as technology advances, the PS Vita will eventually need to be upgraded?

#11alexg1989Posted 9/20/2013 9:33:13 AM
This would be a terrible idea...

it may work for phone enthusiasts, but phones aren't gaming handhelds. Phones don't sell out because they play games, but because they're phones. A lot of people have phones, moreso than have gaming handhelds because phones are actually vital. Of course people will buy more games on phones because A.) Why not? B.) They're cheap as hell...

Besides, Vita users would have no choice but to upgrade to keep up and be able to play the current games... that's would be an all around bad idea. I can see updates in future revisions like has already been going on for years, but a total hardware upgrade? Lol
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#12xxsniperxx31Posted 9/20/2013 9:39:23 AM
For the less tech savvy, there is a reason why phone hardware constantly gets upgraded while consoles only do every 4-5 years. On the software side, game engines built for a platform can be tuned and optimized only if the hardware doesn't go through a major change. So if the Vita were to be upgraded like a smartphone, any engines that tap into the lower layers of abstraction to produce a more impressive game engine would have to be scrapped or retweaked in a major way to maintain compatibility.
---
| Asus P6T Deluxe | I7 920 @ 3.5GHz | 16GB DDR3 | Crossfire HD5770s | Sandisk 120GB SSD | Antec 300 Illusion |
#pch3 @ pch-3.com
#13OximofoPosted 9/20/2013 9:41:48 AM
Another tech wizard that doesn't understand open and close platform spec diffences.
---
Mr. Ami Suzuki
GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
#14bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:47:37 AM
sworder posted...
The Vita is not competing with the smartphone market. It cannot compete with. There is no point for anyone to get a Vita to use it for what they already use their phones for

Originally, these people were forced to get a handheld but now they don't have to. Trying to appeal to them is a waste of money. Phones are subsidized by carriers, the Vita could never hope to keep up

So you really see it as Nintendo VS Sony? You really think Sony and Nintendo didn't loose millions of dollars worth of sales in the last 4 years?

I know people have to have phones so you can't compete with that but if you can buy a game for 1$ on your smartphone that costs 30$ on your Vita or 3DS most would buy it for the phone. I am willing to bet 99% of the adults who own a Vita own a phone.

So every time someone buys a game they have to weight their options. I will use fruit ninja as an example cause it exists on both the Vita and the phone. Fruit Ninja costs 1 dollar on the phone but costs 5 dollars for the Vita. So every time a vita/phone customer buys that game from apple/google sony loses 5 dollars and apple/google makes 1 dollar. I know what your thinking and apple/google can afford to make 1 dollar per purchase and that is true but Sony can not afford to not make that 1 dollar. Sony knows its customers have phones so they really need to address that.

One a different note of course sony can compete by creating an experience that can not be had else where. This is why Nintendo does so great along with the fact that their fanbase phone to console ratio is lower.

Sony is in direct competition with Phones and Nintendo. I will not try to make you or anyone else understand this any more. If you don't want to hear it from me contact Square and Capcom and ask them why they are increasing their phone presence.
---
All that once was will be.
#15bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:00:26 AM
xxsniperxx31 posted...
For the less tech savvy, there is a reason why phone hardware constantly gets upgraded while consoles only do every 4-5 years. On the software side, game engines built for a platform can be tuned and optimized only if the hardware doesn't go through a major change. So if the Vita were to be upgraded like a smartphone, any engines that tap into the lower layers of abstraction to produce a more impressive game engine would have to be scrapped or retweaked in a major way to maintain compatibility.

So you are saying that an upgraded hardware means that companies need to make new game engines or tweek them majorly to get them to work on the upgraded Vita? If that was true then why do so many iPhone games stay compatible with the new models or need a minor patch? The phones software architecture can be expanded upon with out being completely remade. The new games would be able to access the new hardware expansions while the old games could work within the old standards.
---
#16sworderPosted 9/20/2013 10:20:54 AM
bellzemo posted...
So you really see it as Nintendo VS Sony? You really think Sony and Nintendo didn't loose millions of dollars worth of sales in the last 4 years?

Not even close. The 3DS is selling better than ever. The DS is the best selling handheld console of ALL time. Nintendo hasn't lost a cent. The Vita is not selling because it's not what people want. Has nothing to do with smartphones as Nintendo has blatantly shown.

bellzemo posted...
I know people have to have phones so you can't compete with that but if you can buy a game for 1$ on your smartphone that costs 30$ on your Vita or 3DS most would buy it for the phone. I am willing to bet 99% of the adults who own a Vita own a phone.

So every time someone buys a game they have to weight their options. I will use fruit ninja as an example cause it exists on both the Vita and the phone. Fruit Ninja costs 1 dollar on the phone but costs 5 dollars for the Vita. So every time a vita/phone customer buys that game from apple/google sony loses 5 dollars and apple/google makes 1 dollar. I know what your thinking and apple/google can afford to make 1 dollar per purchase and that is true but Sony can not afford to not make that 1 dollar. Sony knows its customers have phones so they really need to address that.

Fruit Ninja is not a handheld experience game, it's a smartphone game. They will buy it for their smartphone because they don't need to carry around 2 things to play it. Even if it cost $1 on the Vita, buying it for a smartphone is still the better purchase. Why waste your money on the Vita version? You can't play your Vita at work but you will have your smartphone with you.

Yet if we're talking about NFS, who will actually buy the smartphone version even if it costs $6? Just about no one. They need to understand their market. Nintendo understands it. Upgrading specs is not necessary. It's a waste of money. Put out your console at an affordable price and give people games they want. That's how Nintendo is doing well. Not by competing with phones spec to spec.

bellzemo posted...
One a different note of course sony can compete by creating an experience that can not be had else where. This is why Nintendo does so great along with the fact that their fanbase phone to console ratio is lower.

Sony is in direct competition with Phones and Nintendo. I will not try to make you or anyone else understand this any more. If you don't want to hear it from me contact Square and Capcom and ask them why they are increasing their phone presence.

>wants Sony to create an experience that cannot be had anywhere else
>wants Sony to do exactly what smartphones do without the subsidy from wireless carriers

Yeah, you contradicted yourself. You're just not following. What the hell would Capcom know? They have a bunch of great IPs and they're about to go bankrupt. Square has no clue either. The only one that knows is Nintendo because they are the ones successful in the handheld market.
#17xxsniperxx31Posted 9/20/2013 10:26:33 AM
bellzemo posted...
So you are saying that an upgraded hardware means that companies need to make new game engines or tweek them majorly to get them to work on the upgraded Vita? If that was true then why do so many iPhone games stay compatible with the new models or need a minor patch? The phones software architecture can be expanded upon with out being completely remade. The new games would be able to access the new hardware expansions while the old games could work within the old standards.

For major hardware upgrades yes, it could definitely require major revisions to games. Jumping between different processors could mean a different instruction sets where a critical instruction for an engine no longer exists. With the PS Vita exclusively, I do think you are correct that the Vita has some hardware upgrades accessible to it, so long as they stay on the ARM v7 ISA. The only issue is that Sony's gaming division would most likely not turn a profit if they upgraded and mass produced a hardware revision or would have to charge a ridiculous price. AFAIK, usual business plans with gaming consoles (or portables), is that they intend on mass producing them for years and rely on the fact that the bill of materials gradually get cheaper over the years.
---
| Asus P6T Deluxe | I7 920 @ 3.5GHz | 16GB DDR3 | Crossfire HD5770s | Sandisk 120GB SSD | Antec 300 Illusion |
#pch3 @ pch-3.com
#18bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:36:36 AM
sworder posted...
whatever.

Back on topic

1989 - 1998 was 9 years Gameboy Color
1998 - 2001 was 3 years Gameboy Advance
2001 - 2004 was 3 years DS
2004 - 2008 was 4 years DSi
2008 - 2011 was 3 years 3DS

Nintendo has updated all their hardware except the Game Boy within 4 years so is 2 years in today's market absurd? Nope.
---
#19sworderPosted 9/20/2013 10:42:42 AM
>implying DS and DSi are 2 different consoles

Same CPU, same GPU, same RAM. Nice try
#20ValkeeriePosted 9/20/2013 10:50:31 AM
The Vita just needs to put more Playstation and PSP games in its online service, give room for HD collections of PS2 games for retail instead, allow non-proprietary cards to be used, improve its interface, and support homebrew and indie development. All of these improvements are necessary, and all of them are based on customer serivce, not hardware.
---
If there was no entry in the Past of whatever I will become,
Then I travelled to the Future the moment that I was gone!