As fast as technology advances, the PS Vita will eventually need to be upgraded?

#21sworderPosted 9/20/2013 10:52:11 AM
sworder posted...
>implying DS and DSi are 2 different consoles

Same CPU, same GPU, same RAM. Nice try

Actually I checked, the CPU is slightly faster but it barely made a difference
#22bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:58:30 AM
xxsniperxx31 posted...
bellzemo posted...
So you are saying that an upgraded hardware means that companies need to make new game engines or tweek them majorly to get them to work on the upgraded Vita? If that was true then why do so many iPhone games stay compatible with the new models or need a minor patch? The phones software architecture can be expanded upon with out being completely remade. The new games would be able to access the new hardware expansions while the old games could work within the old standards.

For major hardware upgrades yes, it could definitely require major revisions to games. Jumping between different processors could mean a different instruction sets where a critical instruction for an engine no longer exists. With the PS Vita exclusively, I do think you are correct that the Vita has some hardware upgrades accessible to it, so long as they stay on the ARM v7 ISA. The only issue is that Sony's gaming division would most likely not turn a profit if they upgraded and mass produced a hardware revision or would have to charge a ridiculous price. AFAIK, usual business plans with gaming consoles (or portables), is that they intend on mass producing them for years and rely on the fact that the bill of materials gradually get cheaper over the years.

Is the ARM 7 powerful enough to last 10 years and a couple revisions and still be relevant? I would ask more questions but most of them would be even more hypothetical.
---
All that once was will be.
#23bellzemo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 11:04:28 AM
sworder posted...
sworder posted...

And 2 cameras, SD card slot, DS app store, more RAM, music player and a web browser.
---
All that once was will be.
#24Megaman OmegaPosted 9/23/2013 5:02:21 AM(edited)
bellzemo posted...
Ok, first of all the step between PS2 and PS3 were very noticeable and we have yet to see what PS4 is going to look like compared to PS3 so your first point has no bearing.

My entire point is about how the gab between NES and SNES is easily much more noticeable than going from PS2 to PS3, so yes, it has a lot of bearing.

Here's the gap between the PS2 and the PS3, demonstrated on tomb raider triology:

http://www.playerattack.com/imagery/TombRaiderTrilogy-ComparisonPS2PS3-01.jpg
http://www.playerattack.com/imagery/TombRaiderTrilogy-ComparisonPS2PS3-02.jpg
http://www.playerattack.com/imagery/TombRaiderTrilogy-ComparisonPS2PS3-04.jpg

Here's the gap between the NES and SNES, demonstrated on SMB:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBDuavumtY&t=12s

In both cases, the difference is glaringly obvious, but you'd have to be blind to think that the PS2 to PS3 gap is a bigger visual difference. Going from Gen 2/3/4 to the next gen is day and night, nowadays you have slightly better resolutions, shaders and AA. In some cases, you can see people arguing whether a screenshot is from this gen or the last/next one. This NEVER happened back then.

Second you may believe that PC gaming is not growing but it is.Steam has grown 75% both in 2012 and in 2013. Mobile gamers play games of all types and the number of more graphic intense games are growing and even big companies are going mobile.

It's hilarious how you made Steam the representative of "PC gaming", while conveniently ignoring how horribly boxed PC game retail collapsed at the same time.

bellzemo posted...
Third Moar graphics is only part of the equation. You have a console (PS Vita) that is not just a gaming machine it does it all. More RAM would help with the multitasking it can and will do in the future.

I can tell you right now that raising the price point of a dedicated gaming system without directly improving its capabilities of playing games is a terrible idea. And that's about all you can do with specs like memory where you want a system to be compatible with the games of its revision.

bellzemo posted...
Fourth PSP was upgraded and so was the DS with the DSi.

No. The PSP 1000 can play any PSP game, and so does the DS. Even DSi games would play on the DS without any problems, barring one or two games that are completely centered around the usage of the cameras.

bellzemo posted...
Sony is in direct competition with Phones and Nintendo. I will not try to make you or anyone else understand this any more. If you don't want to hear it from me contact Square and Capcom and ask them why they are increasing their phone presence.

If you force people to buy a new iteration of their system every year just to be able to play new games, you're just going to piss them off a lot. Just imagine buying a Vita, then about 6 original games come out for it in the course of a year, and then when the 7th one comes out, you have to buy a new Vita to play it. That's just ridiculous.
---
LOL at all the whiners and trolls. They know Vita tv and new model will kill all competition. Festering wounds for the Nintendrones by the gallons. - karissa1
#25VegantoKeensPosted 9/23/2013 5:38:23 AM
About every 5-6 years is already a thing with Sony. It is more than enough, phones have nothing to do with this market. There is a huge difference between the 5 second shovel ware games on phones and dedicated gaming software.
---
Lord Erieos, *******!
GMT + 1 PSN = William-Lake
#26inFAMOUSJakeyPosted 9/23/2013 6:46:34 AM
That tomb raider post wrong and dumb.
Why not compare with recent tomb raider that was on ps3/360....
#27TinyTim123Posted 9/23/2013 7:56:14 AM
bellzemo posted...
sworder posted...
sworder posted...

And 2 cameras, SD card slot, DS app store, more RAM, music player and a web browser.

Plays the exact same carts; fails to improve upon the performance of those carts, therefore I have no need to upgrade from my DSLite to a DSi. The DSi fails to give me an improved experience over the DSLite, as the added features, while nice, aren't necessary to my gaming enjoyment.

Of course, I'm part of that 1% that sees no need to change my phone to a smart phone. My current phone will last me nine years without need for an upgrade, and I fully realize that I don't need a smart phone, it serves no benefit to me, since I don't need to be attached to twitter and facebook at all possible hours. http://www.sonimtech.com/xp1300/xp1300_core.php
So I bring my 3DS with me (only because Nintendo offers the potential streetpass experience. If the Vita had some compelling reason to be brought with me everywhere, I'd have to make a choice).
I just have a feeling that the handheld gaming market doesn't quite work the way you think or want it to.

Also, how many times have you upgraded your phone in the last seven years, and how much has it cost you?
I don't think the average consumer is going to be willing to do that.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/