Metal Gear HD Collection Question

#1OverkillEXPosted 9/21/2013 11:26:59 PM
Thinking about getting the game but Ive never played a Metal Gear game. Is it like the Splinter Cell Games cause I love those?
---
WIN & AWESOME that's all you need to know.
#2co1onelPosted 9/21/2013 11:52:50 PM
Is it like Splinter Cell? No, splinter cell is a joke series. Please don't associate those words with MGS.
---
++++======+++++----|=
#3VegantoKeensPosted 9/22/2013 12:48:08 AM
Better. MGS is just really good, you are not gonna regret getting it. Watch some gameplay videos to see how much it plays like other stealth 3rd person shooter games.
---
Lord Erieos, *******!
GMT + 1 PSN = William-Lake
#4ns_85Posted 9/22/2013 5:07:59 AM
Get MGS 1 first.
#5itslikePosted 9/22/2013 6:04:45 AM
co1onel posted...
Is it like Splinter Cell? No, splinter cell is a joke series. Please don't associate those words with MGS.

---
smoke cigarettes
#6Laevant(Moderator)Posted 9/22/2013 6:31:57 AM
It's much more forgiving than Splinter Cell, and also far more enjoyable.

Also,

ns_85 posted...
Get MGS 1 first.

---
[Formerly Envirasu] [<3 MGO] [Cool Cats > all]
#7BramStarkPosted 9/22/2013 6:43:41 AM
Laevant posted...
It's much more forgiving than Splinter Cell, and also far more enjoyable.

Also,

ns_85 posted...
Get MGS 1 first.

How about no?

@TC the MGS main storyline sequence would start from MGS3>MGS5>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

So it doesn't matter if you can't play MGS1 yet but I'll suggest that you shouldn't play MGS2 if you still haven't played MGS1.. Finish MGS3 first..
---
Now Playing: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate(PS3) ~ Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland(VITA)
PSN: BramStark
#8alexg1989Posted 9/22/2013 6:52:17 AM
Wait wut? You'ved played Splinter Cell but not MGS?

That's like learning to walk before you've even come out of your mother's womb.

Anywho, I've never played SC and have no intention to unless an SC collection comes to Vita...

What you need to know about MGSHD for Vita.

1.) MGS1 is not available in the Vita version of MGSHD. In fact, I don't think it was available in any of the versions. If you want it, you have to download it on a PS3 and then transfer it to the Vita, that is if you want to play it on Vita. For some reason, you can't download MGS1 directly on the Vita. Or if you have a PSP, you can download it there but you won't be able to transfer it from PSP to Vita.

2.) The Vita version of MGSHD contains the following games: MGS2 Substance, MGS3 Subsistence (those are the two PS2 games) and Metal Gear 1 (not to be confused with MGS1) and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake. Those are the original MG games, before the series went 3D.

3.) MGSHD on Vita does NOT have MGS Peace Walker or Portable Ops. Peace Walker and Portable Ops are PSP games. Peace Walker can be bought directly on the Vita through PSN. The new MGSV is a DIRECT sequel to Peace Walker so I'd suggest playing that before you get into MGSV if possible. Portable Ops is not available for some reason but it doesn't matter, its garbage, don't bother with it unless you find you need more MGS after playing all the relevant ones.

4.) MGS2 and 3 play mostly just as well as on the consoles. I myself prefer them over the console versions and the differences are very minuscule. Instead of cycling through the menu using the shoulder buttons, you do so with the touchscreen which works better imo. Analog sensitivity is a bit of an issue and makes a certain oil rig sniping sequence a little harder on Vita but I've managed it on Extreme mode so its possible.

MGS3 has a constant issue where if you have the Survival Knife equipped and you accidentally hit the back touchpad, Snake will stop, swing the knife and grunt which can attract unwanted attention. So just make sure you unequip the knife when you don't need it. Very easy fix.

In MGS3, Interrogating and Throat Slicing are done wiht the back touchpad. Interrogating is simple. Just press an area, any area of the back touchpad and hold it until interrogation is done.

Throat slicing is performed by swiping the back touchpad from the middle upwards, I think. This one is a little weird. I've had the game for about a year and still don't get it perfectly. Maybe it just wasn't implemented properly. It works but a lot of times you have to keep swiping until you get it right. Thankfully, its a mechanic you don't need to use at all but once for the trophy. If you absolutely must kill your POW, just keep pressing the O button and you will snap his neck. You have to keep pressing the O button even after he's knocked out for that to happen.

5.) MGS1 and 2 do not have a 3D camera. The characters and environments are in 3D, but the camera is fixed in an above perspective. I hated it at first but quickly got used to it. MGS1 is now my favorite MGS game. David Hayter's voice acting was at its best in this era too. The original MGS3 did not have a 3D camera either, but Kojima added a controllable camera in the Subsistence edition. If you want, you can switch back to the original fixed camera at any time by pressing the Left button. IMO switching to the fixed camera gives better views in certain narrow areas, and makes some sneaking sections easier.
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#9Laevant(Moderator)Posted 9/22/2013 7:04:20 AM
BramStark posted...
How about no?

@TC the MGS main storyline sequence would start from MGS3>MGS5>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

So it doesn't matter if you can't play MGS1 yet but I'll suggest that you shouldn't play MGS2 if you still haven't played MGS1.. Finish MGS3 first..

I tend to recommend MGS1 first because of the more dated gameplay. Playing in release order won't exactly ruin the chronology for you, and going from the more fluid controls of MGS3 (especially considering the HD version has the adjustable camera) to MGS1's clunky gameplay won't exactly be fun. Better to go from worst to best gameplay rather than jump back and forth, I'd say.
---
[Formerly Envirasu] [<3 MGO] [Cool Cats > all]
#10kingoffpsPosted 9/22/2013 7:16:22 AM
I love MGS but stop hating on Splinter Cell. As far as actual stealth goes SC is superior.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU