Bringing Japan games to US hard/expensive?

#11locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 11:46:48 AM
WoefulyDolorous posted...
locky723 posted...
locky723 posted...
I am sure it depends on if there is VA. Also depends on length of script. Menus, in game translation, etc.

Also, there are some legal concerns around content, songs, and such.

VA?
And songs wise, would it be cheaper to just make a new one/ones to replace the legal concerns?

Voice acting

In regards to songs do you know long it would take and how much money to record new songs that fit right in to every aspect of the game?

For VA, true. And i'd assume only a couple songs would have legal problems..

Except their could be legal reasons. For example, you would obviously have to pay the singers, instrumentals, song writers, etc etc. And in the US you have to be part of unions and such. So imagine having to clear this ALL up for 100 countries. This is one of the reasons we just cant have access to the other PSN regions.

So much complication -____-
#12WoefulyDolorousPosted 9/27/2013 11:49:35 AM
locky723 posted...

Lawyers and politicians rock mirite?
#13locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 12:01:29 PM
locky723 posted...

Lawyers and politicians rock mirite?

So amazing.
#14RjmhartPosted 9/27/2013 12:12:51 PM
What I wanted to know was what does the coding of a game look like?

What I was thinking is, let's say the in game script looks something like this:

{Subtitle}:[insert photograph:Cecil]I don't feel right about this, Kain.{End Subtitle}
{Subtitle}:[insert photograph Kain]I know, but it's the king's orders.{End Subtitle}

Where every time it says {Subtitle} it is adding a blue dialog box in the game, with whatever is written after that is showing up in the blue box. I was thinking couldn't you just find every instance of {Subtitle}, copy the text following it into a translation program, convert to a different language, and then copy/paste back? So basically I am leaving everything else in the code the same, except I am changing "I don't feel right about this, Kain" into a different language. So all that is happening is something different appears in the blue box.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other crap I simply do not understand. They have to code it to load movies, play music, all that stuff, but I am not touching any of that.

I'm probably way oversimplifying it though.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#15tuna-eggPosted 9/29/2013 7:43:23 AM
Rjmhart posted...
What I wanted to know was what does the coding of a game look like?

What I was thinking is, let's say the in game script looks something like this:

{Subtitle}:[insert photograph:Cecil]I don't feel right about this, Kain.{End Subtitle}
{Subtitle}:[insert photograph Kain]I know, but it's the king's orders.{End Subtitle}

Where every time it says {Subtitle} it is adding a blue dialog box in the game, with whatever is written after that is showing up in the blue box. I was thinking couldn't you just find every instance of {Subtitle}, copy the text following it into a translation program, convert to a different language, and then copy/paste back? So basically I am leaving everything else in the code the same, except I am changing "I don't feel right about this, Kain" into a different language. So all that is happening is something different appears in the blue box.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other crap I simply do not understand. They have to code it to load movies, play music, all that stuff, but I am not touching any of that.

I'm probably way oversimplifying it though.

If relying on machine translation were as simple as you think it is, we would have been getting Japanese games much sooner.

Running Japanese text though google translate will mostly result in gibberish except maybe for single words, such as menus. While languages closer to English (such as German, Italian, French) are understandable if a bit awkward when run through a translating machine, Japanese grammar and syntax are so different a human's understanding is required to make a decent, accurate translation. My first job was as a Japanese translator and while Google translate would have made my job easier, I NEVER used it beyond a couple of times as the resulting translation CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.