What makes MH better than the clones?

#1RjmhartPosted 10/12/2013 8:44:15 PM
I played one (maybe Unite) on PSP and it just seemed slow. Just now I had a video come up on youtube and the combat seems meh. Yet people claim to have 2,000+ hours in the games?

What makes it so much better than a game like Soul Sacrifice?
---
Psn: big_bob002
#2KGTriggerPosted 10/12/2013 8:47:32 PM
I found the tedious gameplay to be quite charming. I also loved the extremely slow-paced battles.

I'm jk, I don't really know what I enjoyed about it. I mostly only played MH3 on Wii, but that was with some of my friends online. I can't imagine having fun playing it alone, and actually I didn't have any fun as I tried to get into Freedom Unite but couldn't. I've since tried getting back into MH3 to play with my friends, but I find myself getting drowsy from the gameplay.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089, pm for steam ID
#3SuperDogqHDPosted 10/12/2013 8:47:55 PM
Better is better

deal with it
#4Hercik1Posted 10/12/2013 8:54:19 PM
First different people different opinions of what is fun.

Also once something gets popular enough it sustains itself. Kinda like Paris Hilton way back when she became famous for being famous. I mean hundreds if not thousands release a tape like she did and a lot were better than hers but only she was famous because of it.

You know I really like that analogy.

Anyway before monster hunter falls it needs a rival like call of duty it sells were great then battlefield came to consoles and call of duty sells drop and without the season pass the newest game would have been the lowest grossing since modern warfare.
#5darkphiresagePosted 10/12/2013 9:10:21 PM
customization is leaps and bounds ahead of any other hunting game.

difficulty puts all competitors to shame.

you can't scrub your way up the ranks. there is no ez mode since headlocking, and flash/trap spamming will only get you so far. sleep bombing is tedious and expensive. the only way a scrub will make it to the top is with 3 friends carrying them, because the majority of the MH community is either too elitist, or just frowns on leaches in general.

all playstyles are valid and effective. you don't need a specific element or weapon to kill anything.

above all else, skill reigns king. I've seen and taken part in hunts on endgame bosses with nothing but my lance and underwear. (and my trusty bullfango mask) I've also seen low rank cheaters wearing high rank gear get schooled by early game wyverns.

strategy in MH has never been reduced to paralytic short sword spam with infinite teammate revives, absurd attack/movement speed bonus with health regen on hit setups, or status inducing projectile spam from 50 yards away behind a golem. that, my friend, is why people love MH. it remains to be seen how 4 goes with the monster riding.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#6skipboris2Posted 10/12/2013 9:32:36 PM
people like the natural hunting theme.
#7gadgaurdPosted 10/12/2013 9:48:44 PM
darkphiresage posted...
customization is leaps and bounds ahead of any other hunting game.

difficulty puts all competitors to shame.

you can't scrub your way up the ranks. there is no ez mode since headlocking, and flash/trap spamming will only get you so far. sleep bombing is tedious and expensive. the only way a scrub will make it to the top is with 3 friends carrying them, because the majority of the MH community is either too elitist, or just frowns on leaches in general.

all playstyles are valid and effective. you don't need a specific element or weapon to kill anything.

above all else, skill reigns king. I've seen and taken part in hunts on endgame bosses with nothing but my lance and underwear. (and my trusty bullfango mask) I've also seen low rank cheaters wearing high rank gear get schooled by early game wyverns.

strategy in MH has never been reduced to paralytic short sword spam with infinite teammate revives, absurd attack/movement speed bonus with health regen on hit setups, or status inducing projectile spam from 50 yards away behind a golem. that, my friend, is why people love MH. it remains to be seen how 4 goes with the monster riding.

Doesn't MH have a really cheap weapon called a hammer?
---
Vesna esta holicia.
#8IhavealotofspacPosted 10/12/2013 9:57:47 PM
You've mistaken it with the LBG

Press Circle to win
#9hustlin_pimpstePosted 10/12/2013 9:58:08 PM
Whilst I think MH has many, many things over SS, I will list my main one. SS has no hub/village to sustain between missions. It is told in a book chapter form and is just nowhere near as fun as having a farm full of materials to gather, huts to go into, etc. SS actually feels soulless in comparison to me even though I really like it's actually gameplay.

Na, MH rules over SS like God looking down on a lump of dog pooh, it is simply that much better.
---
Are you a racist? Find out here by taking the test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4aGzooQdk
#10talesfan215Posted 10/12/2013 10:15:22 PM
i prefer SS because I can go into the hunting without doing tedious quests or having to go around different parts of the map that require loading.
---
It's funny, people say Vita has no games, yet defend a port to no end like MH3U, then hate on P4: Golden like its a direct, direct port. Hilarious irony.