Do NOT buy Valhalla Knights 3!

#91TranslatorTomPosted 10/14/2013 1:44:38 PM
Everybody's talking about VH3's flaws. Nobody talks about what it does well.

The positives:

It has an excellent soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba (the Star Ocean/Valkyrie Profile guy).
It has an interesting leveling and skill setup.
It can be played for a long time.
It has a Phantasy Star Online style of gameplay, but with teams.

But people only want to talk about pixelated boobs, which make up less than 1% of the game, and tap-x battles, which have existed since the dawn of action RPGs.
---
-Tom
#92YamatoShogunPosted 10/14/2013 3:19:27 PM
I am getting it and will sing of it's praises just to spite TC.
#93CompassPosted 10/14/2013 5:51:26 PM
TranslatorTom posted...
Everybody's talking about VH3's flaws. Nobody talks about what it does well.

The positives:

It has an excellent soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba (the Star Ocean/Valkyrie Profile guy).
It has an interesting leveling and skill setup.
It can be played for a long time.
It has a Phantasy Star Online style of gameplay, but with teams.

But people only want to talk about pixelated boobs, which make up less than 1% of the game, and tap-x battles, which have existed since the dawn of action RPGs.

lol, this guy DC'ing something Vita related. I never would have predicted!

"Motoi Sakuraba" and "excellent soundtrack" in the same sentence is also good for a chuckle. Allow me:

::chuckles::
#94KGTriggerPosted 10/14/2013 9:14:55 PM
The soundtrack isn't memorable at all. Any game can be played for a long time. The gameplay is mediocre at best, and the walking animations? Abysmal.

It's not a terrible game, but they really need to clean up the battle system. Not getting my hopes up over that since this is their 3rd (4th?) game and the gameplay is still clunky. I like that I can basically switch classes whenever I want, I can allocate stat points wherever I want upon level up, and if I really wanted to I could master all of them and all of the skills. I also like the difficulty of many of the battles, and return cards make it possible to warp back to town quickly (though I don't know of any way to set up way points or anything like that). Even if you do die in battle, you can choose to continue but the items you used in that battle will be gone. You'll keep everything else up to that point though. This is definitely nice since you could be out in those damn fields for a while.

Walking animations are terrible, characters mouths don't move when they talk, environments are a bit bland (only exploring fields at this time though, might change with some variety), and getting around can be pretty tedious because of how big the Hub is, and the lack of warp points. Only being able to revive party members in battle and not in the menu is kind of dumb to me (this might be different later on too, might not have the right item for it).

There's also some delay (about half a second) when changing a piece of equipment. Most likely because character animation is loading, but it's still kind of annoying. Buying and selling items can also be tedious, because you are forced to sell each piece one at a time. Nothing en mass like you can in a game like Star Ocean. Menus can also take some getting used to, but I don't think they're very good. Loading times between screens can be anywhere from a couple seconds to 15 seconds, however ever they only occur when transitioning from one area to another. You enter battles seamlessly, so if you're just spending time out in the field you won't see them.

Definitely more enjoyable than previous titles, but that's not really saying much anyway. If you enjoyed the other games, then you'll enjoy this. If not, well then it's pretty much a toss up.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089, pm for steam ID
#95TranslatorTomPosted 10/15/2013 2:43:07 AM
Compass posted...

Heh! I'm on the Vita boards almost as much as you are!

Maybe I'd be on more often if I didn't like it. :)
---
-Tom
#96CompassPosted 10/15/2013 9:53:39 AM
I like the Vita. Know what I like even more? Watching frenzied Sony fanboys. Let me know if there's a better place to find them.

Aside from the Wii U board.
#97talesfan215Posted 10/15/2013 10:00:04 AM
Compass posted...
I like the Vita. Know what I like even more? Watching frenzied Sony fanboys. Let me know if there's a better place to find them.

PS Independent forums according to Xeed. I think he mentioned the mods were like Servant there.
---
It's funny, people say Vita has no games, yet defend a port to no end like MH3U, then hate on P4: Golden like its a direct, direct port. Hilarious irony.
#98lunchEATSyouPosted 10/15/2013 10:00:06 AM
Compass posted...

I think there are more Sony fanboys on the Wii U board then there are on the Vita Board.

No joke.
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#99Fallen_LordPosted 10/15/2013 10:09:13 AM
TranslatorTom posted...
Compass posted...

Heh! I'm on the Vita boards almost as much as you are!

Maybe I'd be on more often if I didn't like it. :)

Don't worry about Compass. His sole reason for exiting is to troll the Vita message boards but the really sad thing is that he does such a poor job of it. Just act like he really gets under your skin so he can have that little simple pleasure to give his sad life some meaning.
#100CompassPosted 10/15/2013 10:27:35 AM
My sole reason for exiting is usually to simply leave.