How would it make you feel if the Vita should have used BlUMD discs

#21L0L_FAQ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 3:42:24 PM
Motor + lense/+16 gb "cache" because you can't play from BRUMD seems like a hassle and a more expensive device that could cancel out the savings by going BUMD.

the 16GB "cache" wouldn't add more than maybe $10 to the manufacturing costs, it would be typical flash storage of about class 6 speed. You can get a 16GB UHS-1 SD card for $12 right now

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Memory-SF16UY-TQMN/dp/B00B7ID97A/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381789544&sr=1-4&keywords=16gb+sd+card

a 6-8MBPS flash storage "cache"? Nah. Drive motors and lenses can't really add that much more expense that won't go down over time.

Is the 4GB cart limit today even much of an issue? KZM seems to be the only game that really went past it.

The problem is that Vita carts are sold in varying volumes. Developers feel that teh smartest thing to do is compress as many things as possible, resulting and poopy textures and sound. Take a look at MH3U on the 3DS, the game is like 1.7 GB whereas Tri on the Wii was something like 3GB, unpadded. That's why, despite having significantly more RAM than the Wii, MH3U on the 3DS has some poorer quality assets in someplaces that wouldnt' have taken many extra resources to run without looking like poop. Smaller game = cheaper cost per cart.

Large VITA data for proposed BRUMD (16 GB?) may be a bad practice for current market specially for portables.. could allow leniency for sloppy data and may mean consumers having to buy more and/or larger external memory.

If all of that 16GB is streamed to an internal flash storage of a fixed amount, games with smaller sizes can add uncompressed video or audio or at least higher bitrates. You won't have to buy any more external memory.

Even if BRUMD is better priced in terms of size than Sony's cart or SD card, doesn't seem like the savings would be passed on for need to have more internals thus a likely more expensive core-unit.

We're talking in hypotheticals, but remember that printing large quantities of games in optical media is a SIGNIFICANTLY lower risk than in flash memory. We're just assuming that in this hypothetical scenario, the $10 saving is passed on to you.

Doubt contacts for carts are as expensive or cheaper than a motor and a lense.

Do we know the corresponding prices of VITA's game cartridges and sizes?

Because GameFAQs quote box limit is nonsensical, in order:

- Actual assembly cost cheapness isn't the issue under fire.

- Can't be cheaper than optical media. No way, no how.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tk5qqZc.png
"I dont combine the 3DS and LL together to inflate the numbers. I live in the real world" - Sailor Goon
#22NnamzPosted 10/14/2013 4:09:09 PM
The problem is that Vita carts are sold in varying volumes. Developers feel that teh smartest thing to do is compress as many things as possible, resulting and poopy textures and sound. Take a look at MH3U on the 3DS, the game is like 1.7 GB whereas Tri on the Wii was something like 3GB, unpadded. That's why, despite having significantly more RAM than the Wii, MH3U on the 3DS has some poorer quality assets in someplaces that wouldnt' have taken many extra resources to run without looking like poop. Smaller game = cheaper cost per cart.

But why did they need to compress it? Don't 3DS cards hold 4gb?
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitavs3DS
#23TinyTim123Posted 10/14/2013 4:21:19 PM
L0L_FAQ posted...
TinyTim123 posted...
L0L_FAQ posted...
I wear size 33 regular fit khaki pants most of the time, so no, that isn't the issue. The screen is exposed, the analogues are exposed, the thing is fat and too big to comfortably put in my normal, average pocket, whether or not you accept that.

I also wear a size 33 pair of jeans, slacks, cargo pants whatever. I'll admit the exposed screen and analogues may be pesky, hence: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WJ6YGW/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The screen and sticks are protected. Is it that the issue, you're worried about the screen and sticks? Or is it that you have smaller than average pockets for men's pants?
I am genuinely curious now.
Also, Don't sit on the darn thing.

I have that cover, but can't even fit the Vita in my pocket without discomfort with no cases etc, with the cover is other thing entirely. Don't get me wrong, it can get in the pocket with some shoving, it's just incredibly awkward looking and uncomfortable. similarly, I've even been able to pocket an Xbox 360 power brick before. I'm just never going to do that.

When I travel (and that is a LOT, I'm doing air travel like 70% of the time due to the nature of my job), my Vita stays in my backpack alongside the 3DS Nyko Power Grip and portable USB charger, while the bare 3DS sits in my pocket. It's a bit more comfortable in the back pocket, but it sticks out and with the screen. I call shenanigans if your vita doesn't cause you discomfort while in your pocket.

You can call shenanigans all you want, it doesn't make it so. I can put the Vita in my back pocket easily, no force involved, and walk around comfortably. Sitting is another matter entirely, though. If you're doing air travel, you probably don't want it in your pocket anyway.
I could probably easily put it in a front pocket were my front pockets not occupied with keys, knife, phone. I have a rather bulky tank of a phone.

Unless you're a midget? I guess if you're short you have shorter than average pockets, and it would then stick out more and thus worry that it may fall out or be easy for a burglar to snatch?

Basically, my experience with the fitting of a Vita in a pocket is clearly very different than yours. As we have similar waist lines, I just wonder what else could be causing you such discomfort when trying to fit it in a pocket. While I am sure I am not at the height of fashion, I can even fit my Vita easily in my suit pants pocket... but if I am wearing a suit, I am likely to be going someplace that video game play is not appropriate.
Anyway, yeah, a Bluray version of the UMD seems like a bad idea. I just want the Japanese Passport program to have come here to the USA, and for more PSP games to be available digitally.
'course I am not so entitled as to expect those things. You cant always get what you want.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#24j2zon2591Posted 10/14/2013 5:04:20 PM
I still doubt the more complicated design is beneficial enough.

And I still doubt the added materials would equal that of the current VITA's lesser parts in terms of cost.

As for texture and sound compression, I believe they still take resources where I think that cost for lens + motor + internal memory is better spent on RAM + faster current internals.

Contacts for cards < lens + motor + internal memory.

If BRUMD is this cheap, why hasn't this been made?

I doubt we need 16 GB BRUMDs when home console games like Skyrim are ~ 4-5 GB and GTA 5 at ~ 12 GB (correct me if I'm wrong).

I doubt the reason for a game like UCGA having fewer and less intense set pieces are more of storage limitation but more on the game's budget.

If the VITA presents shoddy textures and questionable audio, it's likely to be CPU/GPU/RAM/Audio Chip limitation as well. Seems Sony isn't afraid of putting 1.1 GB patches anyway (KZM) and only a BRUMD-ReWriteable would remove that (that sounds more expensive: new type of disc/new lense).

Sony, pushing for future flash based = capability of patch in and save to game cart sounds better.. hypothetically.

Assessing assembly cost is noted as it contributes to the worth of the hypothetical plan, IMO.

Again, just as long as in this hypothetical scenario, the BRUMD VITA leads to a cheaper platform then sure.. and much expansion on the matter isn't brought about.
#25Fallen_LordPosted 10/14/2013 5:19:42 PM
L0L_FAQ posted...
VegantoKeens posted...
Horrible is what it would have been. A huge empty space that is like a big weak point, CD spinning noise is back, Vita has to be fat again. They should have just gotten everything digitized before they released the PSP Go or they should have used cartridges for the first PSP. Either way, the backwards compatibility issue could have been fixed years ago.

Vita is already fat and completely unpocketable. Once you've crossed that threshold to the point where "portable" means putting it in a backpack or something, what's the point in not making it fatter?

That's funny, the Vita fits in my back pocket perfectly fine as I take it to work with me every night.
#26WindWakerHDPosted 10/14/2013 5:31:02 PM
Nnamz posted...

So they could fit it on a cheaper 2 gig card.
#27j2zon2591Posted 10/14/2013 6:00:34 PM
NVM, I can see it work.

http://www.meritline.com/memorex-blu-ray-bd-r-4x-25gb-media-discs-98499---p-46672.aspx?source=fgmedia&gclid=CNf6u6rRl7oCFYk9QgodxWAAKw

99 cents lmao.
#28L0L_FAQ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 6:16:36 PM
Nnamz posted...

If a 2GB cart is $8 and a 4GB cart is $10, your profit over, say, 3 million sales will be $6 million more if you shrink your game down to under 2 GB. 3DS carts aren't just available in one 4GB size. There's no reason to pay the extra cost for space you won't use.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tk5qqZc.png
"I dont combine the 3DS and LL together to inflate the numbers. I live in the real world" - Sailor Goon
#29DarkSentinel07Posted 10/14/2013 7:20:04 PM
I sill have my white psp cause Final Fantasy I-II Anniversary Edition are not available digitally in America this is beyond stupid by both SQ and SONY for not making this happen for their fans. And lets not even mention FF:CC, Kingdom Hearts: BBS and the two Star Oceans. Really!!! SE and SONY!!!? Really!!! if my psp dies or gets stolen Im stuck with all of these masterpiece games in UMD!!!? cause my PS Vita cant play them and YOU haven't made them available in our NA PSN.
#30co1onelPosted 10/14/2013 10:26:08 PM
Nnamz posted...

This is Japan we are talking about. Of course they are gonna go with the cheapest card possible.
---
++++======+++++----|=