I thought we could play PS4 games on the go?

#1SuperDogqHDPosted 10/31/2013 6:20:49 AM
Didnt the TGS ad show kids running around playing Killzone and other PS4 games on the go?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/ps4-remote-play-on-vita-may-only-work-at-home

I love how they are backtracking even before the release. This is going to be a mess.
#2Saintman32190Posted 10/31/2013 6:36:46 AM(edited)
The idea seems to be that remote play works best when you are inside your home, In terms of doing remote play in another location outside your home, has been a bit more tricky and I don't recall them ever praising playing it over other locations and acting as if it were going to be perfect in locations outside your home. Infact, I asked this question on the PS4 board, and Eoin explained it best.

It will depend (very heavily) on the network connections involved (both on the PS4 side and the Vita side). Upload speed is important for the network that the PS4 is on. Download speed is important for the network that the Vita is on. Ping time is super-important for both.

There is a possible additional complication: many networks, particularly school or work networks, block a lot of ports. Remote Play may use ports which are blocked and this may cause problems or may cause Remote Play to simply fail. Even if it works at launch, if Remote Play becomes a popular feature, school networks might close down ports used for Remote Play to block the feature.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67648810

Another guy in my topic claimed that he was able to play SOTC no problem in his friends location, much farther away from his PS3. But of course explained that the connection was very very good in his friends dad place.

I guess while it can work in some locations outside of home, it's not exactly a guarantee that it'll work in all. Which is why they fully recommend you do it around your house.
#3arclouks_xPosted 10/31/2013 6:31:40 AM
that could have been cloud gaming, for remote play it's also possible but wont work well unless you have great wifi in your house and wherr you are.
---
PSN:JustArc_
Now playing:The Walking Dead(Vita),Resident Evil 4 HD, Shadow of the Colossus HD.
#4SuperDogqHD(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 9:12:47 AM
arclouks_x posted...
that could have been cloud gaming, for remote play it's also possible but wont work well unless you have great wifi in your house and wherr you are.

This is what they say now, not when they were showing it. Also, I think they are setting the expectaiton low, so if it fails...
#5dj___rollPosted 10/31/2013 11:07:52 AM
Quote:arclouks_x posted...

This is what they say now, not when they were showing it. Also, I think they are setting the expectaiton low, so if it fails...

@SuperDogqHD

So, you claim they're backtracking instead of saying the obvious about how over distances and the Internet the connection may not be fast/stable enough? It's not like remote play is some magic thing that can defy the lag/ping from playing over the net as opposed to a local network. Maybe try thinking more...
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.12
#6Sami1000Posted 10/31/2013 11:15:14 AM
So, remoteplay is downright useless? I mean if it works best when you are home then why wouldn't people play PS4 games on the frigging PS4 instead of Vita?
#7SuperDogqHD(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:18:15 AM
dj___roll posted...
Quote:arclouks_x posted...

@SuperDogqHD

So, you claim they're backtracking instead of saying the obvious about how over distances and the Internet the connection may not be fast/stable enough? It's not like remote play is some magic thing that can defy the lag/ping from playing over the net as opposed to a local network. Maybe try thinking more...

Then why did they show it as such at TGS? The people literally left their house, went to school, and played PS4 games.
#8stargazer64Posted 10/31/2013 11:35:46 AM
Sami1000 posted...
So, remoteplay is downright useless? I mean if it works best when you are home then why wouldn't people play PS4 games on the frigging PS4 instead of Vita?

I can think of the odd time when I'd want to stream a game to my Vita from a ps4 when the TV was being used by someone else.

But in that case maybe I'd just play a damn Vita game. Or a 3DS game. Or a PC game. Or an iPad game.
---
"...so much wrong with this post it reached critical mass and became a black hole of ignorance from which no educated thought can escape." - GenocideH
#9DeathSoul2000Posted 10/31/2013 11:55:12 AM
So why couldn't this be done for PS3 instead which has craploads of games worth playing as opposed to PS4 which will only 2-3 at launch tops?
#10Klon_RedfieldPosted 10/31/2013 11:55:13 AM
So it isn't obvious to people that LAN is much faster than the internet?

A freaking bummer that remote play isn't magical and requires that your connection doesn't suck in order to play smoothly huh? Seriously, this is just what I was expecting and everything I'll ever need, when my brother hogs the TV to play Dark Souls all day I'll still be able to play some games on the PS4 and Wii U, and to me that's amazing.
---
Playing: Etrian Odyssey III (DS), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS), TLoZ: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U), Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii), Valdis Story (PC)