Vita Graphics Quality and Vita TV

#1TheBlueAznGuyPosted 11/8/2013 2:48:28 AM
Now I know the Vita is not out yet, but I have read it displays at 1080i via HDMI.

I'm thinking of selling my PS3 since I never use it, and the games I still want to play have/will have Vita ports (Disgaea, FFX).

I'm planning on using the Vita TV with my 23" computer monitor with HDMI. In general, how much of a visual quality difference should I expect between the output of a PS3 compared to a Vita TV with a Vita game? Are the graphics of Vita games (ported from PS3 game) usually somewhat downscaled to make them fit on the cartridge?

I'm well aware specific comparisons cannot be made at this point, but any insight from anybody more knowledgeable about this particular subject will be appreciated.

Cheers!
#2psvitantifailPosted 11/8/2013 10:18:17 AM
Look up Killzone mercenary Then look up Killzone 3 And 2 Then black ops 2....
---
Oh no Charlie!!---
#3he1senbergPosted 11/8/2013 10:46:35 AM
Yes, Vita games will tend to be 'downscaled' when compared to their console counterparts. It's -primarily- not to fit them on the cartridge, but rather because: a) the Vita's native resolution is only 960x544 and b) the Vita isn't quite as powerful as the PS3. So when you see the Vita TV supporting 1080i/720p, what it will actually be doing is upscaling the image in Vita games from ~960x544 (some games are sub-native res).

A smaller screen like your monitor will help to mask some of these shortcomings, though, and some games will translate better to the larger screen than others. For the games you mentioned, I would think Disgaea should look just fine. As for FFX, it's hard to say how the Vita version will compare with the PS3 version since there hasn't been much shown so far. Not all port jobs are created equal.
---
PSN is same as username. Please do not send me blank or unsolicited friend requests.
#4INKU48Posted 11/8/2013 10:55:59 AM
I think about it like this. I have no problem playing Wii games on my 32'' HDTV and I even think some of them look fantastic. Even with its small screen the Vita's native res is greater than what the Wii could accomplish so it should look fine going by this.

I think it's more in frame rate, graphical effects and such that you will see a difference because the Vita isn't as powerful as the PS3.
---
http://gamingforum.free-message-board.com/t1851-who-plays-sonic-still
#5TheBlueAznGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 3:37:23 PM
Sounds like it will only be a small step down in terms of graphics if at all. I'm fine with that.
Thanks for the replies guys.
#6co1onelPosted 11/8/2013 3:53:46 PM
I think it will look okay. Most PS3 games range from a native res of 540 to 720p anyways.
---
++++======+++++----|=
#7Auction SniperPosted 11/8/2013 4:03:48 PM
Will be interesting to see how the image is displayed on a tv - the Vita's native screeen res is exactly half of 1080p, so the scaling should be pretty clean.
---
Take a good look at Manderley's dead body. Consider that my resignation. I don't have time to write a letter. - J C Denton