Persona 4 doesn't look goodto me at all, however....

#21OhGoodGriefPosted 12/31/2013 12:35:51 PM
Who said I'm a hater? I said it was overrated and poorly explained when reccomended. I didn't say I hated it nor that it was bad.
Here's a new years resolution: don't be so insecure and cynical.
#22ArkkanaPosted 12/31/2013 1:39:41 PM
Rigglie posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...
iDoneGotU posted...
The title is unnecessary...Seems like you're trying to create a dispute.

If you're interesed in Y's just say that, don't lure fans of P4G in with that title.

There's nothing to dispute, persona 4 the yellow is completely overrated and consistently recommended with little to no explanation beyond 'lol best game so deep'

And the haters have appeared.

And the fanboys have appeared.
---
"The good times of today are the sad thoughts of tomorrow."
Simply Fobulous. 3DS FC: 2723-9024-7215 | NNID: Doredia
#23zandm7Posted 12/31/2013 1:41:49 PM
OhGoodGrief posted...
Who said I'm a hater? I said it was overrated and poorly explained when reccomended. I didn't say I hated it nor that it was bad.

"Overrated" is an entirely subjective term, and one that's thrown about so often that it's nearly become a meaningless buzzword. In fact, I'd say it's an impossible term for which the meaning to be universally accepted because when you call something overrated you're basically just saying that you disagree with a majority/vocal opinion that something is excellent. As you said though, that doesn't necessarily denote that said thing is bad, just that you don't believe it's as good as others say. Which is impossible to reach an actual consensus on.

Anyways, semantics aside, it's not just us crazy weeaboo GFAQs posters that praise P4G. The game has the highest Metascore of any Vita game and had the 2nd or 3rd best video game Metascore of 2012 overall. We can argue all day over the validity of using critic reviews to determine the quality of something, but at the very least there are "professionals" who seem to, as a whole, find the game good. Take for that what you will.

On the subject of my own personal opinion, I think P4G is the best Vita game by far and definitely one of my favorite games of all time. OhGoodGrief has given us all, well, grief for poorly explaining reasons behind P4G's asserted excellence, so I will do my best to assuage good sir.

I think P4G is great because of it's excellent world/character building. Through an extensive story and copious (some would say excessive) amounts of character development, the game does a great job of building a world/universe around you, the player, and also forging all-too-real bonds between you and the characters in the game. P4G also does a good job giving the player the "power" to make your own "choices" in the game. You usually get to choose what to do, when to do, which characters to spend time with, when to battle in dungeons, etc. Also, the game offers a staggering amount of dialogue choices, some of which have actual gameplay implications and some of which are simply there for story purposes.

An easy way to sum up the "gameplay" of P4G would be 50% story, 50% battles. While the split is obviously not perfectly even, I'd say the game does a good job of balancing time spent in the dungeon and time spent outside and also pretty successfully co-integrates these two aspects of gameplay. "Social Links" (basically "levels" you gain denoting the strength of your relationship with certain characters) affect the strength of your "Personas" (which are basically Pokemon you use to do battle. Sort of). Hence, the more time you spend with the characters in the game world, the easier you'll have it in the dungeons.

About the dungeons: These dungeons are somewhat monotonous at times, but the bright side is that there are many of them, all featuring their own visual design and unique soundtrack. Individual dungeons don't take too long to complete, so you won't get stuck grinding one dungeon for what seems like forever. The battle system itself is great, lending itself to simplicity but also incorporating some decent amount of strategy as well.

It is kind of difficult to explain too much about this game without giving a lot of stuff away, but I think it should be enjoyable to most people, and even more so if you happen to be an RPG/JRPG fan. I didn't understand much about this game before I bought it, so I didn't get the hype either but then I got it and I was absolutely hooked. I played through 3 straight playthroughs of the story (there's a New Game Plus feature) before burning out. So TC, if the only thing you don't like about P4G is the anime-style visuals, I say give it a chance.
---
The Epic Shadow Meltdown Followed By Bromances (The Army Of Three) And The Vodka Showdown: THE BATTLE TO 500: http://goo.gl/ZedBUq
PSN: zandm7, Steam: zandm7
#24DaTreasureChestPosted 12/31/2013 2:00:16 PM
zandm7 posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...

semantics

. . . You are trying too hard.
---
New PSN: MagitekDreamz
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2llddYhZe1qj9e4io1_500.jpg
#25zandm7Posted 12/31/2013 2:24:37 PM
DaTreasureChest posted...
zandm7 posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...

semantics

Yes. Because OhGoodGrief complained that people weren't trying hard enough. Just trying to compensate :)

Besides, I had yet to see anyone actually make a good case for TC to get P4G, so I decided to be that guy.

Full disclosure: I think Ys is great too (even though I haven't yet played MoC, though I have played other Ys games) and TC would do well to play both Ys and P4G. I think both games are definitely worth playing.
---
The Epic Shadow Meltdown Followed By Bromances (The Army Of Three) And The Vodka Showdown: THE BATTLE TO 500: http://goo.gl/ZedBUq
#26krazykillerkowPosted 12/31/2013 2:29:34 PM
OhGoodGrief posted...

Hey! We can all make new yeas resolutions! He will do the thing you said, and you can strive to be less confrontational!

And i'll... um stop drinking all the orange juice.
---
I would assume so, since you have no other contributions here except to post your worthless off topic crap.-X1-4Ever summing me up pretty well.
#27zandm7Posted 12/31/2013 2:37:04 PM
krazykillerkow posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...

Hey! We can all make new yeas resolutions! He will do the thing you said, and you can strive to be less confrontational!

Seriously, the one thing I really hate about this board is how confrontational everyone is here. In some ways we're kind of a tightly knit community but everyone just loves to fight and be passive-aggressive (or just aggressive) to each other. /r/Vita is like some f***ing kumbaya s*** in comparison, lol.

/rant

Can we all just get along? :D
---
#28OximofoPosted 1/1/2014 10:14:37 AM
zandm7 posted...
krazykillerkow posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...

Seriously, the one thing I really hate about this board is how confrontational everyone is here. In some ways we're kind of a tightly knit community but everyone just loves to fight and be passive-aggressive (or just aggressive) to each other. /r/Vita is like some f***ing kumbaya s*** in comparison, lol.

/rant

Can we all just get along? :D

Somebody has to anti-troll.
---
Mr. Ami Suzuki
GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
#29talesfan215Posted 1/1/2014 11:09:12 AM
DaTreasureChest posted...
zandm7 posted...
OhGoodGrief posted...

semantics

---
Currently playing Tales of the Abyss, Rayman Legends, Ys Memories of Celceta.