Sony's stance on BC with...

#1BrasenPosted 1/9/2014 9:52:36 AM
...playstation now?

When I heard/read the news my first thought was "so this is possibly one of the motives behind PS4 not getting backwards compatibility" on this service. I'm guessing the same will be for Sony's next handheld if they release one. Anyone feel differently?

I mainly prefer BC because it keeps the library appealing at the release of a new system, don't have to worry about waiting for anything like updates to play the last gen titles, it obviously doesn't alienate those who own physical, and you don't need to be around a fast connection or worry about any "downtime" reasons to experience it.

I'd rather they offer both with their products. I completely understand no PSP BC, Vita didn't need UMD dragging on it. But with small efficient flash cards I hope they give their fans/consumers choice in the future while helping out their own next gen product.

Thoughts?
#2Pontificus32390Posted 1/9/2014 10:07:02 AM(edited)
Brasen posted...
...playstation now?

When I heard/read the news my first thought was "so this is possibly one of the motives behind PS4 not getting backwards compatibility" on this service. I'm guessing the same will be for Sony's next handheld if they release one. Anyone feel differently?

I mainly prefer BC because it keeps the library appealing at the release of a new system, don't have to worry about waiting for anything like updates to play the last gen titles, it obviously doesn't alienate those who own physical, and you don't need to be around a fast connection or worry about any "downtime" reasons to experience it.

I'd rather they offer both with their products. I completely understand no PSP BC, Vita didn't need UMD dragging on it. But with small efficient flash cards I hope they give their fans/consumers choice in the future while helping out their own next gen product.

Thoughts?

BC would have driven up the price of the PS4. Either they charge more or take a bigger loss per system. Playstation Now allows BC for, what I assume, cheaper in the long run. If people want to play old games, play it on the old system. I don't know why people don't just do that instead of complaining. (i am NOT saying you are a complainer). Before last generation, how much BC was available? Almost none?

edit: not to mention that this will be available on both the vita and PS3 as well. as long as it is not too expensive, it's a good way to create BC for this generation. Maybe if next gen has similar architecture to this one, BC won't be such an issue.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.3 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 7870 2GB | 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Current Platforms: 3DS, PC, PS4, PS3, Vita, Wii U, X1, X360
#3Tempest717Posted 1/9/2014 10:10:46 AM
The PSP and the PS3 both had issues that would cause problems if full BC was implemented in the Vita/PS4, Sony's next console/handheld will hopefully solve those issues. Though if they make enough money off PS Now then I don't expect them to actually try...
---
NNID/PSN: Tempest717
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lybewnsXOY1qikhz3o1_r1_500.gif
#4lunchEATSyouPosted 1/9/2014 10:17:50 AM
"Please re-buy games that you already own."

Next Gen indeed.
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#5Pontificus32390Posted 1/9/2014 10:19:36 AM
lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

if you already own them, play them on the original system. this complaint is usually one of the worst.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.3 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 7870 2GB | 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Current Platforms: 3DS, PC, PS4, PS3, Vita, Wii U, X1, X360
#6dj___rollPosted 1/9/2014 11:59:06 AM
Quote:lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

if you already own them, play them on the original system. this complaint is usually one of the worst.

@Pontificus32390

Trolls aren't known for their intelligence.
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.12
#7bellzemoPosted 1/9/2014 12:30:40 PM(edited)
I think backwards compatibility is a waste of resources. I think emulation is great but adding extra hardware is a waste.

I think Sonys decision was an easier decision with Gaikai as a way to make money off of old games. They most likely were not going to add backwards compatibility to the PS4 at any point in the R&D phase.
---
All that once was will be.
#8lunchEATSyouPosted 1/9/2014 12:35:53 PM
Pontificus32390 posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

This might be a shocker, but not everybody had a PS3 last gen. What if someone wanted a physical library instead of a digital library while not having to buy two seperate consoles? If the PS4 had BC, I would've bought it Day 1 but no...

dj___roll posted...
Trolls aren't known for their intelligence.

Look who is back, still complaining about what other people post while simultaneously adding nothing to the discussion at hand.

You haven't changed a bit, sadly.
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#9NnamzPosted 1/9/2014 12:40:52 PM
Pontificus32390 posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

This, exactly.

If you already own the game, you don't need to re-buy it. I didn't throw away my PS3 just because I got a PS4.

This service gives you easy access to games if you want them without the need of owning the original device. I don't see the point in spinning this negatively.
#10NnamzPosted 1/9/2014 12:43:08 PM
lunchEATSyou posted...
This might be a shocker, but not everybody had a PS3 last gen.

The comment was "please rebuy games that you already own". If they already owned them, they owned a PS3.

I don't think anyone is arguing not having BC to be a great thing. I'd very much like to retire my PS3 to my closet, but I can't.