Sony's stance on BC with...

#21bellzemoPosted 1/9/2014 1:02:11 PM
townparkradio posted...
Pontificus32390 posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...
"Please re-buy games that you already own."

Next Gen indeed.

if you already own them, play them on the original system. this complaint is usually one of the worst.

I don't own a PS3 anymore. Gave it away years ago, and wisely so. There's only four games I want to play on it. I'd be more likely to buy a PS4 if Sony didn;t hate me.

But Sony hates me.

That is so awesome. I would buy you a PS3 if it made you feel wanted?
---
All that once was will be.
#22Lazy JonesPosted 1/9/2014 1:06:58 PM
I made sure to buy the 60gb PS3 with back compatibility when they came out. I used it once to try it out and never again. Now I know it's not as big a deal as I thought.
---
>: |
#23townparkradioPosted 1/9/2014 1:24:57 PM
bellzemo posted...
townparkradio posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

if you already own them, play them on the original system. this complaint is usually one of the worst.

I don't own a PS3 anymore. Gave it away years ago, and wisely so. There's only four games I want to play on it. I'd be more likely to buy a PS4 if Sony didn;t hate me.

But Sony hates me.

That is so awesome. I would buy you a PS3 if it made you feel wanted?

You'd also have to buy me Yakuza 3,4, the Last of Us and MGS 4, man.
#24Merc123Posted 1/9/2014 3:35:22 PM
Well i mainly buy a console to play new games, not old games. It doesn't even matter for me since i keep my consoles anyway.

Aside from that i was never impressed with BC on PS3. I heard it was good on launch titles but having tried it out on the later models it could barley run Naruto or Persona 3. I would much rather have it gone that have that kind of support.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#25Brasen(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 7:05:31 PM
So far of whats stated here is the only thing that really has merit, outside the personal preferences or telling people to do things, is BC adds cost. I agree it does add cost. Though I doubt its too much to risk. If anything the cost seems worth the admission if they're able to do so. I can't help but think if Vita had BC with PSP (just for example's sake lets say the PSP used flash cards instead of UMD) the Vita might have been in a more successful situation today. I know a few people in the communities im in would have already gotten a Vita if that was the case.

One of the biggest dilemmas with new hardware, and the Vita is a great testament to this, is getting people on board. They don't get on board unless the appeal is there. Its harder for this appeal to happen quickly or sometimes never at all unless the people are on board. Sure it could come from a great launch library or good value or great marketing but I only see where BC could only add to this library or value or a greater market. If anyone has thoughts of something different and that it takes away, please let me/us know.

You also have to take in consideration of those who never owned the system whos games is getting the BC, its a two in one deal for those. And those who do own the older system gets to sell and cut down the cost and space inconvenience for the new system. People would rather spend fortunes here on bigger memory so they don't have to hassle switching out software or going back an forth between cards, yet the majority would rather do without BC because they don't mind switching/keeping more consoles? I don't think so. That defense is a bit of a double standard.
#26ORANGE666Posted 1/9/2014 7:40:27 PM
The thing stopping BC on ps4 is costs. It will be over $100 extra
Now take into account the vast majority of people that will buy a PS4 came from a PS3. These people don't want to pay $100 more for something they already have.

Brasen posted...
I can't help but think if Vita had BC with PSP (just for example's sake lets say the PSP used flash cards instead of UMD) the Vita might have been in a more successful situation today. I know a few people in the communities im in would have already gotten a Vita if that was the case.

1gb sandisk card in 2004 sold for over $350
PSP games were up to 1.7gb...
#27rpglover13Posted 1/9/2014 8:45:26 PM
lunchEATSyou posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

Next Gen indeed.

This might be a shocker, but not everybody had a PS3 last gen. What if someone wanted a physical library instead of a digital library while not having to buy two seperate consoles? If the PS4 had BC, I would've bought it Day 1 but no...

dj___roll posted...
Trolls aren't known for their intelligence.

Look who is back, still complaining about what other people post while simultaneously adding nothing to the discussion at hand.

You haven't changed a bit, sadly.

I can get a person wanting to have a physical library over digital (that is my preference as well), but PS4 was never thought to have BC. Not once did Sony lead people on. At this point if you want the PS3 games and only physical games then you should have bought a PS3, not a PS4. You could have had a library of games (already established with a system that is optimized, meaning almost zero glitching and the most bang for your buck) that would have lasted you up until and past the point where the PS4 had a good lineup of games and had been perfected (probably with a price drop as well).
#28darkness1018Posted 1/9/2014 11:06:27 PM
Thats why you should always keep your systems. The only PS system ive sold is my PS1. Still have PS2 & PS3. If you wanna play old games buy the old systems. People buy new systems for NEW games not old. BC shouldnt even be an issue. You can also get a used PS3 cheap or a new one on sale & enjoy all the PS3 games you want.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita) 3DS XL FC 0490-6058-6459 NNID: Nightwing2918
Systems I own: PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL, WiiU
#29Brasen(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 5:37:05 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
The thing stopping BC on ps4 is costs. It will be over $100 extra
Now take into account the vast majority of people that will buy a PS4 came from a PS3. These people don't want to pay $100 more for something they already have.

I can't imagine the cost being that big for the customer. With the pace of technology and yes even Sony taking a small hit on it themselves to garner an appealing return in the end with a bigger market and the building of that bigger market. I mean even if it was there's the non biased conclusion choice: PS4 for $400 or PS4 w/PS3 compatibility for $450-$500.

These options are for: (A) those who missed out on the PS3 (new gen of kids, Xbox/Nintendo switchers, or the random casual) and you'd be surprised how big of a pie it is (B) people who wants to consolidate and the convenience, convenience, the entire point of technology and (C) PS3 owners who don't take much care with their old PS3 (lost, broken, etc avoidable/unavoidable/accidental things that do happen from time to time). While I agree wouldn't be the single big majority but close enough to easily underestimate it.

ORANGE666 posted...
Brasen posted...
I can't help but think if Vita had BC with PSP (just for example's sake lets say the PSP used flash cards instead of UMD) the Vita might have been in a more successful situation today. I know a few people in the communities im in would have already gotten a Vita if that was the case.

1gb sandisk card in 2004 sold for over $350
PSP games were up to 1.7gb...

Bolded the important part of this argument. Which didn't have anything to do about why sony went with umd for the psp, that's a different topic reserved for a different board altogether. Read it again please cause my point of that paragraph was about risk vs appeal using a hypothetical example.

darkness1018 posted...
Thats why you should always keep your systems. The only PS system ive sold is my PS1. Still have PS2 & PS3. If you wanna play old games buy the old systems. People buy new systems for NEW games not old. BC shouldnt even be an issue. You can also get a used PS3 cheap or a new one on sale & enjoy all the PS3 games you want.

This isn't a "do or die" / "can't have your cake an eat it to" scenario. Having a system with BC does not alienate people who buy new systems for new games. The interesting thing is you're not really arguing against BC here but rather how you think/believe people should do things, that's not really a sound argument and its far too subjective.

Now if want to make a case that getting a used/new PS3 and a new PS4 is more convenient and cheaper than having a PS4 with BC, there would be a good start. (We know which would be way more convenient though.) I guess I could debate myself here... :p
#30Pontificus32390Posted 1/10/2014 5:50:02 AM
Sony probably wasn't in the financial position to try a $500+ PS4 for the sake of BC.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.3 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 7870 2GB | 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Current Platforms: 3DS, PC, PS4, PS3, Vita, Wii U, X1, X360