Sony blames smartphones and tablets for Vita failing

#171n00bsaib0tPosted 1/25/2014 12:49:38 PM
bigybri posted...
Every knew who NoobSaboit was in the '90's but arcardes died

Noob Saibot has been in three console only Mortal Kombat games post 90's (Deception/Unchained, Armageddon, and the sequel disguised as a reboot). One of them was in 2011. My 5 year old nephew knows who Noob Saibot is.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#172Bob the AlmightyPosted 1/25/2014 4:07:26 PM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
Bob the Almighty posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Its 25% and 3 years in that seems pretty normal.

The 3DS is already in decline though. Year-over-year sales are down (and have been for a while) even after all the major heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, Polemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, and Mario Kart to name a few).

The system is on track to sell half as much as the DS sold. The 3DS selling 50% of what its predecessor sold and the Vita struggling to hit 15 million is a sign of a declining market.

The DS and PSP sold a combined 225 million or so. The 3DS and Vita will be lucky to sell a combined 100 million at current pace. Deny it all you want but smart phones and tablets have taken a huge chunk out of the portable gaming market.

You should read the thread and everything I've posted and then try again after knowing my stance. I'll wait for you.

Nah that's cool. I don't really care about your stance. I'm much more interested in the facts.

Combined sales of the 3DS and Vita are going to be less than half of the combined sales of the DS and PSP. Hell the 3DS and Vita combined is going to be less than the DS was alone. The 3DS and Vita are going to be lucky if they hit a combined 100 million while the original DS and PSP ended with about 230 million.

If you don't think that's a sign of a shrinking market then I don't know what to tell you.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#173MTHELPosted 1/25/2014 4:12:55 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

The 3DS is already in decline though. Year-over-year sales are down (and have been for a while) even after all the major heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, Polemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, and Mario Kart to name a few).

The system is on track to sell half as much as the DS sold. The 3DS selling 50% of what its predecessor sold and the Vita struggling to hit 15 million is a sign of a declining market.

The DS and PSP sold a combined 225 million or so. The 3DS and Vita will be lucky to sell a combined 100 million at current pace. Deny it all you want but smart phones and tablets have taken a huge chunk out of the portable gaming market.

You should read the thread and everything I've posted and then try again after knowing my stance. I'll wait for you.

Nah that's cool. I'll just let the facts speak for themselves. Combined sales of the 3DS and Vita are going to be less than half of the combined sales of the DS and PSP. Hell the 3DS and Vita combined is going to be less than the DS was alone.

If you don't think that's a sign of a shrinking market then I don't know what to tell you.

If there's one issue I've found that people refuse to believe the facts on, it's mobiles killing handhelds. Seriously, what does it say about the market when a "great success" like the 3DS is struggling to sell as much as the PSP, a handheld whose hardware sales were based on piracy and the gullibility of AAA developers in thinking Sony would actually support it, and that's AFTER Nintendo slashed the price, cannibalized Wii U development, and embraced the kiddie factor to the bloody hilt.
---
PSN: Xeedragon
Goebbels is back and his name is Shahid.
#174blacksinowPosted 1/25/2014 4:14:15 PM
It really is a good system, but I won't be shocked if it tanks. But blaming it failing on mobile devices?! The problem is that some components are a bit overpriced, the memory cards. A good memory card costs about 100.00, which ironically... security is rarely an issue.
#175Bob the AlmightyPosted 1/25/2014 4:28:35 PM
MTHEL posted...
If there's one issue I've found that people refuse to believe the facts on, it's mobiles killing handhelds. Seriously, what does it say about the market when a "great success" like the 3DS is struggling to sell as much as the PSP, a handheld whose hardware sales were based on piracy and the gullibility of AAA developers in thinking Sony would actually support it, and that's AFTER Nintendo slashed the price, cannibalized Wii U development, and embraced the kiddie factor to the bloody hilt.

Handhelds can still exist in today's world but just like the Wii's casual audience (grandparents and soccer moms, remember?) a lot of the users aren't coming back. I don't really care how you argue it there's no other way to describe the huge difference in DS/PSP sales and 3DS/Vita sales. Even if you 100% believe that mobile didn't harm handheld sales the only other outcome is that other half of the people that bought handhelds last generation just stopped playing handheld games entirely then.

Either way it's not encouraging for Nintendo nor Sony. It's either 50+% of the portable gaming market started playing on phones and tablets or 50+% didn't switch to mobile devices and gave up portable gaming entirely. Still the fact that both the AppStore (Apple) and the Play Store (Google) bring in more gaming revenue than Nintendo and Sony's handhelds kinda says a lot.
---
#176n00bsaib0tPosted 1/25/2014 4:34:57 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Nah that's cool. I don't really care about your stance. I'm much more interested in the facts.

Combined sales of the 3DS and Vita are going to be less than half of the combined sales of the DS and PSP. Hell the 3DS and Vita combined is going to be less than the DS was alone. The 3DS and Vita are going to be lucky if they hit a combined 100 million while the original DS and PSP ended with about 230 million.

That's all well and good, but I'm not sure what your point is when nothing I've posted disagrees with it. Smartphones have a huge market share and aren't going away. Lowering sales projections by 25% should be logical even without smartphones taking up market share. The only difference now as opposes to the DS and PSP is that the projected sales were lower from the start.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#177Bob the AlmightyPosted 1/25/2014 4:37:14 PM
blacksinow posted...
It really is a good system, but I won't be shocked if it tanks. But blaming it failing on mobile devices?! The problem is that some components are a bit overpriced, the memory cards. A good memory card costs about 100.00, which ironically... security is rarely an issue.

PSP memory cards were stupidly over priced too (the official Sony 32gb stick was something like $169 when it was new) and it still sold 80 million. I'm tired of the "Vita memory cards are expensive" excuse.
---
#178MTHELPosted 1/25/2014 4:40:53 PM
MTHEL posted...

Handhelds can still exist in today's world but just like the Wii's casual audience (grandparents and soccer moms, remember?) a lot of the users aren't coming back. I don't really care how you argue it there's no other way to describe the huge difference in DS/PSP sales and 3DS/Vita sales. Even if you 100% believe that mobile didn't harm handheld sales the only other outcome is that other half of the people that bought handhelds last generation just stopped playing handheld games entirely then.

Either way it's not encouraging for Nintendo nor Sony. It's either 50+% of the portable gaming market started playing on phones and tablets or 50+% didn't switch to mobile devices and gave up portable gaming entirely. Still the fact that both the AppStore (Apple) and the Play Store (Google) bring in more gaming revenue than Nintendo and Sony's handhelds kinda says a lot.

At this point, the only thing that could keep handheld gaming alive in 1-3 generations is a Nintendo hybrid console.
---
PSN: Xeedragon
Goebbels is back and his name is Shahid.
#179Advent_SignPosted 1/25/2014 5:21:14 PM
They can still make the Vita work but they REALLY have to buckle down and you know...put out games over in the USA/Canada and not JUST in Japan?

I am a bit fed up because a fair bit of "niche" games that are being released in Japan would be an instant buy for me. Of course, there is the language barrier so yeah...

I DO NOT want FPS on the Vita or 3DS. It is FAR easier to control in general on a bigger screen with a decent controller. What I am HOPING for is Visual Novels, turn based games, action RPGs...things like that. Porting isn't really what I want all that much either. Sony really will have to take more risks with first party development and not make ANOTHER FPS or "Western style" game since the game market for consoles already have a fair bit of those.
#180Bob the AlmightyPosted 1/25/2014 5:33:41 PM(edited)
So what is your stance? Did mobile cannibalize dedicated handhelds or not? If they didn't then why is the 3DS tracking to sell 50% of what the DS sold and why is the Vita on track to sell less than 25% of what the PSP sold. Where did those lost 130 million sales go? The 3DS is declining in its third year whereas the original DS was exploding and beginning its "rise to heaven" during its third year. Going forward from now the gap between the two is only going to widen.

I never said that mobile and handhelds can't coexist but because of mobile I strongly doubt handhelds will ever reach their peak again. That's the only thing I'm saying. The Vita's problems is more than just smart phones.
---