Used Vita Phat for $150+tax or new Vita Slim for $230+shipping?

#1UncleGrubbyPosted 1/21/2014 11:50:47 AM
So I'm not sure here. I've seen some used Vitas around town for about $150 plus tax. NCSX has the Vita Slim for $229 new and with shipping it's $242.

I don't care about the screen, I'm more concerned with comfort, convenience and battery life. But that's about an $80 difference. If it was between two new vitas I'd get the slim for sure, but the extra $50 off for a used phat is nice. Of course, I don't know if there are any issues with the used console and they may not crop up until after I've had it awhile.

Someone already imported me a 64 gb vita memory card and I have a ton of games from PS+ as well as some PS1 classics and I have a PS4 for remote play as well, so I won't need to buy games or a memory card and therefore that isn't a cost factor.

What would you folks suggest? I know I could wait for a US release of the slim but who knows how long I'd be waiting for that. I want to play all these games I've accumulated!
#2stargazer64Posted 1/21/2014 11:52:54 AM
Get the new model if you care more about comfort, convenience, and battery life.

Although I think the original Vita model is the most comfortable handheld ever, apparently I'm in the minority.
---
"How low were your expectations? Did you just expect that it turns on and has a screen? If so, I understand" - Shadow on Vita exceeding expectations
#3CameleonMKPosted 1/21/2014 12:02:09 PM
I'd say go for the used if it's in good condition. Otherwise get the slim.
---
XBL/PSN/YouTube - CameleonMK
3DS Friend Code - 2809-8205-3688 (message me with your FC if you add me)
#4Spiffy247Posted 1/21/2014 12:03:16 PM
stargazer64 posted...
Get the new model if you care more about comfort, convenience, and battery life.

Although I think the original Vita model is the most comfortable handheld ever, apparently I'm in the minority.

The PS Vita is my most comfortable handheld too.
---
GameFAQs' Spiffiest, fanciest Vampire.
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#5UncleGrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 12:07:17 PM
Hmm interesting, most folks say the new model is a lot more comfortable, has a better back panel because it's smaller and harder to hit by accident. I think I've read that it has better shoulder buttons too. I know battery is supposed to be much better, especially with psp/ps1 games.

I did think of one other deciding factor: the slim has 1gb of internal memory. I may plan to do some importing and if I'm not mistaken, I'll need a second memory card for Japanese region saves, patches and dlc. Having that internal memory to switch between would be far more convenient than buying a second memory card to swap in and out.
#6Spiffy247Posted 1/21/2014 12:09:34 PM
UncleGrubby posted...
Hmm interesting, most folks say the new model is a lot more comfortable, has a better back panel because it's smaller and harder to hit by accident. I think I've read that it has better shoulder buttons too. I know battery is supposed to be much better, especially with psp/ps1 games.

I did think of one other deciding factor: the slim has 1gb of internal memory. I may plan to do some importing and if I'm not mistaken, I'll need a second memory card for Japanese region saves, patches and dlc. Having that internal memory to switch between would be far more convenient than buying a second memory card to swap in and out.

1GB is so small I think it could barely hold a few patches, and I read you can't use it with a memory card.
---
GameFAQs' Spiffiest, fanciest Vampire.
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#7stargazer64Posted 1/21/2014 12:09:58 PM
UncleGrubby posted...

The internal 1 GB can only be used when you don't have a memory card inserted. Once you have a memory card it becomes useless.
---
"How low were your expectations? Did you just expect that it turns on and has a screen? If so, I understand" - Shadow on Vita exceeding expectations
#8MrBanballowPosted 1/21/2014 12:16:54 PM
UncleGrubby posted...

Two things...

1. 1GB is not very much space at all.
2. Unless I'm mistaken, you have to restore the system to factory settings when switching between NA/JPSN Accounts (got a second Vita so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore), which would wipe the system's onboard memory in the process.
---
Not changing this sig until Another Code R (Wii) is announced for the US.
Started: October 5, 2008
#9UncleGrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2014 12:45:07 PM
MrBanballow posted...
UncleGrubby posted...

Two things...

2. Unless I'm mistaken, you have to restore the system to factory settings when switching between NA/JPSN Accounts (got a second Vita so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore), which would wipe the system's onboard memory in the process.

Wat. Is this necessary to play a game card or just digital games?
#10MrBanballowPosted 1/21/2014 12:58:56 PM
UncleGrubby posted...
MrBanballow posted...
UncleGrubby posted...

Two things...

Wat. Is this necessary to play a game card or just digital games?

Anything physical will be fine and will patch like normal. DLC on the other hand for imports would have to be bought off JPSN, which is why I brought it up. Suppose I could have made that more clear.
---
Not changing this sig until Another Code R (Wii) is announced for the US.
Started: October 5, 2008