How to make the Vita a commercial success

#21StrikeNinja24Posted 1/22/2014 4:28:01 PM
Ya know what would calm me down Sony? Go get PSO2 localized. SEGA is too busy being stupid as usual.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#22iDoneGotUPosted 1/22/2014 4:34:45 PM
Are there even Vita commercials? I've never seen one, not even for vita games.
---
But there is one thing a Saiyan always keep... his PRIDE!
#23StrikeNinja24Posted 1/22/2014 4:35:51 PM
iDoneGotU posted...

On now? Nope. I've seen Sony commericals, but I've seen one Vita commerical, and it was CoD.
---
#24VarmundWulfPosted 1/22/2014 4:36:35 PM
Sony only messed up on two things with this handheld.
The price and the proprietary memory cards.

The price drop could be made very easily, and with the PS4 here, a bundle could only benefit them.
The memory cards are the real problem, they are bloody expensive and the Vita seems to strive as a digital only platform, which in turn makes people have the need for a bigger memory cards and spend more money. A gigantic price drop on memory cards could also be made and the Vita would most definitely benefit from that.

No one denies that the Vita had a very successful launch line-up. And even though exclusives are just now piling up, Sony needs to advertise them. Sony needs marketing. I know this because this is my area of expertise. Sony needs to make the Vita desirable. We have the games, but barely anyone notices them!

Sony also shot themselves in the foot with the Vita TV. They spend millions advertising the Vita as the best portable device for gaming, their campaign aptly called "The World is in Play" was moderately successful (at least here in Portugal) but they completely destroyed that vision and that placement when they announced the Vita TV.

Keep the games coming Sony, but make sure the masses know about them!
---
PSN: LordMarluxia11
#25emptytunacan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2014 10:27:26 PM
AftComet posted...
emptytunacan posted...
I have both the Vita and the 3DS and by far spend more time with the Vita, but this is in large part due to indie downloadable games and the large selection of PSP games available for download. There are some great bigger budget titles, but with the poor sales of the Vita it seems to be in question how many more of these we will see.

Sony already had a major price drop, but this has done little to improve the Vita's sales.

So, if you were a Sony executive what would you do to turn things around?

I'll kick it off...

I would capitalize on the success of the PS4 and give away a free Vita with the sale of every PS4 until the end of the year.

LOL you'd be bankrupt in 1 year and shareholders would be calling for your indictment.

Hate to break it to you, but you have no understanding of how business works. This is a solid business strategy known as the "loss leader strategy". You can see some basic info on it here. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp

The loss leader strategy used to be quite common in the video game business. Consoles were sold at a loss then the loss and eventual profits are made up by the forthcoming game sales. This doesn't even need to be a permanent solution, but rather could be an "early adopter" promotional for PS4 buyers. It would increase the market penetration of the PS Vita which in turn would lead to more games being created; this is the classic chicken/egg cycle that new game consoles always struggle with. If Sony was able to manufacture PS4s quickly enough to keep up with the current demand this would also likely cause some bump in PS4 sales as well. When presented with purchasing 1) Xbox One for $499 or 2) PS4 + PSVita for $399 which will most buyers opt for? I'm pretty confident that Sony would absolutely destroy Microsoft in console sales if this were the situation.
---
PS Vita reviews of whatever I've played recently http://www.mojoe.mobi/game_reviews
#26StrikeNinja24Posted 1/22/2014 10:43:12 PM
emptytunacan posted...
AftComet posted...
emptytunacan posted...
I have both the Vita and the 3DS and by far spend more time with the Vita, but this is in large part due to indie downloadable games and the large selection of PSP games available for download. There are some great bigger budget titles, but with the poor sales of the Vita it seems to be in question how many more of these we will see.

Sony already had a major price drop, but this has done little to improve the Vita's sales.

So, if you were a Sony executive what would you do to turn things around?

I'll kick it off...

I would capitalize on the success of the PS4 and give away a free Vita with the sale of every PS4 until the end of the year.

LOL you'd be bankrupt in 1 year and shareholders would be calling for your indictment.

Hate to break it to you, but you have no understanding of how business works. This is a solid business strategy known as the "loss leader strategy". You can see some basic info on it here. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp

The loss leader strategy used to be quite common in the video game business. Consoles were sold at a loss then the loss and eventual profits are made up by the forthcoming game sales. This doesn't even need to be a permanent solution, but rather could be an "early adopter" promotional for PS4 buyers. It would increase the market penetration of the PS Vita which in turn would lead to more games being created; this is the classic chicken/egg cycle that new game consoles always struggle with. If Sony was able to manufacture PS4s quickly enough to keep up with the current demand this would also likely cause some bump in PS4 sales as well. When presented with purchasing 1) Xbox One for $499 or 2) PS4 + PSVita for $399 which will most buyers opt for? I'm pretty confident that Sony would absolutely destroy Microsoft in console sales if this were the situation.

Another reason why I want the industry to crash is the people currently in charge have old school methods and ideology that have stagnated the industry. People scoff at smartphone gaming, but many companies are considering it a much more viable option, including Nintendo.

They just simply put a luxury pricing on everything and think things will work out fine.
---
#27NnamzPosted 1/22/2014 11:22:46 PM
A commercial success? As in profitable?

Keep doing what they're doing.

It sucks for Vita owners, but cutting the price and/or investing in a ton of expensive first party games is costly and risky for Sony. Vita is profitable right now. Sales are low but it's a constant low steady stream of income for Sony. R&D for the device likely wasn't that expensive since it uses off the counter parts, and even at Vita's current snail pace, it'll likely pay it off before the end of it's life.

Nintendo definitely "saved" the 3DS by throwing a ton of great software at it, but their current financials are rather scary. You can't put a 25 Billion Yen loss on the WiiU alone. They obviously over-invested in it. Hopefully they can slow down and ride out their success with 3rd party games.
#28j2zon2591Posted 1/22/2014 11:26:58 PM
Suck Rockstar's, Bethesda, BioWare, SE and Capcom's things so hard and so good and co fund (or mostly fund) VITA projects under popular 3rd party titles.

Invest heavily in advertising.

Or form a Google and Samsung Partnership giving birth to a new VITA hardware and software w/ premium pricing; great dual booting device.. sucking their things so hard too ooohhh..

(About as thick as PSV 1000 but PSV 2K thin internals, has another SoC and larger battery for Android.. maybe even S4 internals

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57575143-94/at-$236-galaxy-s4-costlier-to-produce-than-s3-says-report/

SoC is only 20 dollars and extra battery just 6 bucks)

Would probably cost hundreds of millions either way.

/fantasy post

Realistically speaking, probably just try to strengthen JPN relations for JPN ports (help Tales, FF Type 0, SAO get localized.. more aggressive Sony support for that).

Minecraft should be in retail and no less than the PS360 versions and PS3 X-Play feature then heavily advertise it.

Free 1 year Plus and 8 GB cards on every VITA near Q4 2014.

Make a better UC or CoD entry. Those are top 2 selling VITA titles.
#29KarimosaurPosted 1/22/2014 11:29:40 PM
iDoneGotU posted...

was thinking the same thing, I only new about the Vita from online websites, yet to see a single commerical/advert anywhere
---
Psn: Karim17
#30MMaestroPosted 1/22/2014 11:37:23 PM
emptytunacan posted...

In other words: The Vita is dead, turn it into a PS4 Wii U ripoff-Gamepad.