Anyone else concerned about how quickly enhanced versions of games are announced

#1Lord_VishanaPosted 1/28/2014 10:08:53 AM(edited)
I've noticed that announcements for enhanced versions of games have become far more frequent and occur shortly after the release of the original. While I love enhanced versions and there isn't anything necessarily wrong with them, I find it a little disconcerting to see how quickly they are announced. Just look at all the enhanced versions have been announced for the Vita and 3DS recently.

Ragnarok Odyssey: ACE
Soul Sacrifice: Delta
Valhalla Knights 3 Gold
Monster Hunter 4G/Ultimate
Bravely Default: For The Sequel

The majority of these had their enhanced counterparts announced merely months after the release of the original. The same fate is likely to happen with God Eater 2, Toukiden, Freedom Wars ect. As much as I love GE2 and Toukiden, I'm kinda dreading the inevitable announcement of the enhanced versions. Considering the extremely short window between original and enhanced versions, it gives you little incentive to buy the original version now.

I remember when it was a year or two before enhanced versions were announced. I just think more time should elapse between the original release and enhanced release.
---
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is my most anticipated game ever! 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#2RjmhartPosted 1/28/2014 10:04:38 AM
If I buy the original I will probably not buy the enhanced version.

If I am on the fence about buying the original I am now more reluctant in case there is an enhanced version.
---
The Vita is a great system
#3arclouks_xPosted 1/28/2014 10:09:16 AM
yeah, it's kind of dumb, some games do add new stuff and help improve for the real sequel like ssdelta,but fighting games have been doing this a lot, I just hope they're at least good improvements and not just balancing stuff.
---
PSN:JustArc_ Waiting for: Persona 5.
Now playing:Borderlands 2, Lone Survivor, Spelunky
#4nophoriaPosted 1/28/2014 10:10:51 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way.
---
Gatcha
http://youtu.be/udgycNmDetA
#5Lord_Vishana(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 10:14:35 AM
Rjmhart posted...
If I buy the original I will probably not buy the enhanced version.

If I am on the fence about buying the original I am now more reluctant in case there is an enhanced version.

That makes sense since we are almost guaranteed an enhanced version of games now. I'm starting to think certain developers are deliberately withholding already existing content on an original version and saving it for enhanced version. While I understand the reasoning behind it, it's still a naughty thing to do.
---
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is my most anticipated game ever! 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#6DoomerangPosted 1/28/2014 10:14:48 AM
Lord_Vishana posted...
I've noticed that announcements for enhanced versions of games have become far more frequent and occur shortly after the release of the original. While I love enhanced versions and there isn't necessarily wrong with them, I find it a little disconcerting to see how quickly they are announced. Just look at all the enhanced versions have been announced for the Vita and 3DS recently.

Valhalla Knights 3 Gold

The majority of these had their enhanced counterparts announced merely months after the release of the original. The same fate is likely to happen with God Eater 2, Toukiden, Freedom Wars ect. As much as I love GE2 and Toukiden, I'm kinda dreading the inevitable announcement of the enhanced versions. Considering the extremely short window between original and enhanced versions, it gives you little incentive to buy the original version now.

I remember when it was a year or two before enhanced versions were announced. I just think more time should elapse between the original release and enhanced release.

This isn't a new trend by any means. Street Fighter 2 and 3 had this happen a lot, as well as Final Fantasy IV (Japan got the normal version, then an easytype version). As for more recent generations, we have games like Blazblue - while the story is different, the core is pretty much the same with new fighters. Kingdom Hearts is another series that is infamous for this with the Final Mix versions, as well as the various updated releases of the later Final Fantasy games that Japan gets.

The only difference now is that a lot of those updated rereleases are actually being sold in the West rather than being Japan-exclusive.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#7xenos74Posted 1/28/2014 10:16:07 AM
It's not much of a concern for NA and PAL regions since localizations take so long that now we've been receiving the enhanced versions (Bravely default, MH4U, etc) when they finally announce localization for said regions.

I can definitely see how it would be an issue to those that love importing though.

Makes you wonder if the developer had planned said content before or after releasing the vanilla version. Id like to think its left over ideas that didn't make it into the original game. However, going by the internet mentality, you'll only hear that it's the devs trying to squeeze your wallet with as little effort as possible
---
PSN ID: Rarsis
#8n00bsaib0tPosted 1/28/2014 10:18:55 AM
Doomerang posted...
Lord_Vishana posted...
I've noticed that announcements for enhanced versions of games have become far more frequent and occur shortly after the release of the original. While I love enhanced versions and there isn't necessarily wrong with them, I find it a little disconcerting to see how quickly they are announced. Just look at all the enhanced versions have been announced for the Vita and 3DS recently.

Valhalla Knights 3 Gold

This isn't a new trend by any means. Street Fighter 2 and 3 had this happen a lot, as well as Final Fantasy IV (Japan got the normal version, then an easytype version). As for more recent generations, we have games like Blazblue - while the story is different, the core is pretty much the same with new fighters. Kingdom Hearts is another series that is infamous for this with the Final Mix versions, as well as the various updated releases of the later Final Fantasy games that Japan gets.

The only difference now is that a lot of those updated rereleases are actually being sold in the West rather than being Japan-exclusive.

Be fair. You can't talk about Blazblue's story being different in different versions and not say it for Street Fighter. SF2 were all the same story but SFA, SF3 and SF4 are new stories in different versions.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#9Lord_Vishana(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 10:27:27 AM
Yikes, I wasn't aware of how often this happened with fighting games until I did a little research on it.

I realize that this isn't a new occurrence, but I'm just surprised to how quickly they seem to happen now.

It does affect me as someone who frequently imports. I'll obviously support the enhanced versions, but I may stop getting the original if I think a enhanced version will be announced in a few months.
---
#10Fray_MakenPosted 1/28/2014 10:29:59 AM
It was to expected.

Valhalla Knights 3 Gold
Freedom Wars
God Eater 2

We know all these games, and all the ones I didn't bother to list, are here to try and fill the absence of MH on the Vita. The problem is there so many trying to do so that will try to beat each other in releasing their "G Version" of their games to stay relevant.

With Monster Hunter 4G/Ultimate, the G version is always not far behind and "everyone" awaits it.

As for Bravely Default: For The Sequel, they have already said the want release a new game on a yearly basis.