Has EA abandoned the Vita?

#31NemerlightPosted 2/19/2014 12:46:18 PM
JustinFF posted...
EA abandoned the Vita...

I do not see this as a bad thing.

EA making more games for Vita would mean more systems sold and that would lead to:

a) Vita getting more games from other devs

b) Half Life 3 release date

c) Something else not gaming related

Hint: Its not B.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#32akshat_316Posted 2/19/2014 12:52:45 PM
They are not making any more ssx or burnouts. So it does not matter to me much. Nfs most wanted did relatively well on vita though.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPWnwJ-mQ1k
#33melbye80Posted 2/19/2014 1:30:13 PM
They also abandoned 3DS
#34smelly_boobPosted 2/19/2014 2:03:40 PM
EA doesnt think they can make any money porting their sports games to Vita.... so they dont do it anymore.... I dont blame them, they are a BUSINESS.... some vita owners need to accept that developing games for Vita is a RISKY at best business idea given the lack of vita sales combined with the rise of free to play smart phone gaming
#35RPG_ApostlePosted 2/19/2014 2:32:09 PM
SinbadtheSailor posted...
More or less, yes.

And it's a horrible thing mainly because it means there's no chance of an NHL vita game ever.

Tell me about it.

I'm kissed there is still no NHL game on the Vita.
---
SunDevil77 posted...
Taking teeth and biting Johnson.
#36kamikaze135Posted 2/19/2014 4:09:50 PM
smelly_boob posted...
EA doesnt think they can make any money porting their sports games to Vita.... so they dont do it anymore.... I dont blame them, they are a BUSINESS.... some vita owners need to accept that developing games for Vita is a RISKY at best business idea given the lack of vita sales combined with the rise of free to play smart phone gaming

Let's just be glad it isn't as risky as Wii U games and Vita is actually getting 3rd party support, lol.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#37OoseyePosted 2/19/2014 4:21:26 PM
kamikaze135 posted...
just be glad it isn't as risky as Wii U games and Vita is actually getting 3rd party support, lol.

Too bad it doesn't get first party support like the Wii U.
---
PLAYING: Bravely Default
#38WartPig_Posted 2/19/2014 4:23:57 PM
Zerol09 posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-drops-plants-vs-zombies-2-lawn-mower-microtransaction-tax/1100-6417777/

Pretty much sums up EA and most of the current "mainstream publishing industry" in general.

"a test"

yeah testing how stupid consumers are.
like how they "tested" holding back cotent to be sold as DLC and on disc locked DLC. and the sheep ate it up..... look where we are today.
---
PSN-WartPigX, XBL-WartPig
"people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening"
#39xfactorPosted 2/19/2014 5:12:45 PM
GameDesignerSage posted...
xfactor posted...
GameDesignerSage posted...
xfactor posted...
TC must be new to the Vita. Its not just EA.

When it comes to western devs it is true for all handhelds. Smartphones have replaced handhelds when it comes to investment in the portable space and this is even becoming true for JPN publishers, like Konami and Sega. We know this to be true because even the successful 3DS has a very low software attach rate and is going down year on year, in hardware but especially overall software sales (whereas the DS at three years in was going from strength to strength).

Topic creator, it is just the reality of the situation. Every major publisher is finding more success in the mobile sector, so the investment usually reserved for handhelds is being mostly diverted if not all to mobile instead. It is only independents that have found handheld development prosperous, but that's mainly because there is no race to the bottom when it comes to pricing. When an indie is looking at sales in the tens of thousands, hitting 0.99 or free isn't enough on mobile but is necessary because that is what mobile consumers expect. This expectation on handheld is different, where the average price ranges from 2.99 to 6.99, making it a very fertile ground for indie devs who sell in the tens of thousands. For a major publisher where sales of hundreds of thousands if not millions is the norm, being 0.99 or free (ads) is a different matter.

Lets not associate Vita's problem with the 3DS.

Both are handhelds and both are suffering from a more competitive scene than what the DS and PSP played in. Vita is suffering more but it is still a problem both platforms face. Three years in, the 3DS is twenty million behind what the DS achieved in three years and worse, the 3DS already peaked last year (despite having Pokemon and 2DS) whereas the DS only got started (in years 3-6 the DS sold 80 million more units compared to year 1-3 of 60 million units). Overall software sales is even worse, with 3DS being way behind. The Vita, two years in is around ten million units behind what the PSP sold two years in and it too has drastically worse overall software sales.

So it's no wonder why support for both is what it is. Western devs don't care for either any more and many JPN publishers are caring less and less, even for the 3DS. The Vita is not alone when it comes to developers choosing to ignore it.

Actually, last year doesnt seems to be 3DS peak year, as it looks like the 3DS is set to continue its momentum of being the best selling handheld worldwide this year again.

Can't say that for the vita
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#40kamikaze135Posted 2/19/2014 8:46:05 PM(edited)
Ooseye posted...
kamikaze135 posted...
just be glad it isn't as risky as Wii U games and Vita is actually getting 3rd party support, lol.

Too bad it doesn't get first party support like the Wii U.

True, but the 3rd party support is better than anything Sony's first party studios could release, imo. But the Wii U doesn't have but a handful of decent first party titles so there really is no comparison, lol. I own a Wii U with close to 10 games, so I would know :p

And my post was really talking about 3rd party support and not the games in general. Stay on topic, man!
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden