FFX was my favorite game ever, will I enjoy FF9?

#1BlackmagikksPosted 3/1/2014 9:46:48 AM
I know it sounds very dumb, but I played FF9 when i was a kid at my best friends house and i remember getting the girl at the beginning, and then crashing in the forest and then I think I got to some boss in the forest.

Looking for something to play after i finish up P4G and Dragons Crown, should I grab FF9?
---
League of Legends: Blackmagikk
Getta taste of dah voodoo.
#2Justice98405Posted 3/1/2014 9:54:46 AM
There's no way to say for sure. FFIX was awesome because it was a throwback to the older FF games, a story about crystals, good characters all the way around, got away from all the crap that was FFVIII. And FFX, while a fairly good game overall, is really the one that is the 'new guard' of FF games, I would say.

I wouldn't really compare FFIX and X too directly.

As always, read reviews, look at some gameplay and such, and try to make the most informed decision that you can, that's all you can really do.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#3iRPGluvverPosted 3/1/2014 10:01:08 AM
If FFX is actually your favorite game ever, no.
#4LeanaunfurledPosted 3/1/2014 10:03:16 AM
IX is really great and is my second favorite FF (after X).
---
Currently Playing: Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, Fantasy Life Link
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490 PSN Ashurii09
#5Jprime666Posted 3/1/2014 10:44:06 AM
9 is pretty good, but it's not much like FFX at all. TBH I think FFIX is one of the weaker games because the battle system so monumentally sluggish and drawn out. I feel the same way about Chrono Cross.

Shame too because I love the story, characters, and music in IX.
---
Zvarri!
#6seraphimaxPosted 3/1/2014 10:50:10 AM
Like the other said, FFIX and FFX play differently. My favorite FF of all time is actually IX as well, because it had a wonderful story and very good characters. I do like X but I wouldn't put it near IX. IX's gameplay is significantly slower so if you're not really patient then it may throw you off.
---
"This is not death! It is a sacrifice for humanity to live on!."
~Graham Aker
#7Jprime666Posted 3/1/2014 10:57:57 AM
seraphimax posted...
Like the other said, FFIX and FFX play differently. My favorite FF of all time is actually IX as well, because it had a wonderful story and very good characters. I do like X but I wouldn't put it near IX. IX's gameplay is significantly slower so if you're not really patient then it may throw you off.

I'm know I've already posted, but this needs to be emphasised. FFIX has some really great things going for it, but it is a very slow game. I'd say probably the slowest battles in the series.

The thing was that late in the PS1s life cycle when FFIX and Chrono Cross were made, Square was getting really fancy with the graphics. Everything in both these games have pretty long animations. This made them very impressive looking back when they came out, but it also has the side effect of you spending a lot of time watching characters pose and long magic animations.

I think Square knew this was annoying, because despite the tech improving since IX, no game after it has gone so overboard with animations in battle. FFX has a very quick and snappy battle system by comparison.

Another minor annoyance is that the ATB doesn't stop when characters are doing their animations like it did the FFVII/VIII. This will often lead to commands stacking on top of each other. It's pretty common to see Zidane attack, then you select one of Vivis spells, and before he's done casting it Zidanes command is ready again.

It's not too bad early in the game, but later with a full party, lots of enemies and higher level spells/techniques, the whole thing starts to get very clunky.
---
Zvarri!
#8iRPGluvverPosted 3/1/2014 11:06:38 AM
Jprime666 posted...
seraphimax posted...

I'm know I've already posted, but this needs to be emphasised. FFIX has some really great things going for it, but it is a very slow game. I'd say probably the slowest battles in the series.

The thing was that late in the PS1s life cycle when FFIX and Chrono Cross were made, Square was getting really fancy with the graphics. Everything in both these games have pretty long animations. This made them very impressive looking back when they came out, but it also has the side effect of you spending a lot of time watching characters pose and long magic animations.

I think Square knew this was annoying, because despite the tech improving since IX, no game after it has gone so overboard with animations in battle. FFX has a very quick and snappy battle system by comparison.

Another minor annoyance is that the ATB doesn't stop when characters are doing their animations like it did the FFVII/VIII. This will often lead to commands stacking on top of each other. It's pretty common to see Zidane attack, then you select one of Vivis spells, and before he's done casting it Zidanes command is ready again.

It's not too bad early in the game, but later with a full party, lots of enemies and higher level spells/techniques, the whole thing starts to get very clunky.

That's the point of ATB - speed up things. I hate when everything stops while I'm choosing my next move, not even the enemies attack... that's why I think X-2 has the best battle system. If I'm not wrong, it can always be turned off, tho.
#9LemonKweenstaaaPosted 3/1/2014 11:16:35 AM
You will, because it is a much better game.
---
Kill the Prez
#10StrikeNinja24Posted 3/1/2014 11:26:07 AM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
You will, because it is a much better game.

It isnt hard to be better than FFX though.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin