My PS Vita set its own parental controls passcode and also blocked a hard reset?

#1BrokenBoonePosted 3/16/2014 8:55:11 AM
I've just turned on my Vita for the first time this year and after the expected firmware update, I saw a 'Parental Controls' app. I opened it just out of interest and it asked for my passcode. The thing is, I don't remember ever seeing any parental controls on my Vita (which I bought new on release). If I'm ever asked to set up a 4-digit code I always use 0-0-0-0 (which I believe is default for Sony devices anyway) or a certain 4-digit code that's significant to me. Anyway, tried both of those and neither worked.

As far as I can tell there are no parental controls on any of my content and everything plays fine. However, I'm concerned about the implications of this if I ever come to sell my Vita or if anything goes wrong and I want to do a factory reset.

I've searched around a bit and it seems a few people have had parental control issues and the answer is usually to remove the memory card and do a system restore by going through the d-pad menus after holding R-trigger, Home and the Power button. However, I cannot access this menu now. No matter how long I hold the buttons in, the Vita won't turn on. Again, this is worrying if anything goes wrong and I have to access the system menu.

Everything works normally if I just power the Vita on as usual, but yeah, I'm still a bit worried.

Has anyone else had similar issues since updating to the most recent firmware or know of any reason why I can't access the system menus now?
---
360 - LeeIsAce
PSN - BrokenBoone
#2Sami1000Posted 3/16/2014 9:12:23 AM
Read you manuals and stuff, maybe you can find the default code for the parental controls, so you can disable it. If you can't access to system menu then i guess you accidentally activated something that prevents kids from screwing up your system.

Also, the default code can be 1,2,3,4
#3BrokenBoone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 9:16:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been through all the manuals and the only code listed anywhere is 0-0-0-0, although I did try all the other common defaults like 1-2-3-4.

I think it's likely a glitch that occurs if you open up the parental controls app after never accessing the parental controls menus through the old firmware.

The system menu not working is a bit weird though.
---
360 - LeeIsAce
PSN - BrokenBoone
#4BrokenBoone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 9:32:17 AM
OK I tried a really old numerical password I used to use and it actually worked on parental controls. My apologies; I must have set it at some point.

I still can't access the system menu though so if anyone has any idea what the issue there is and can help, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise disregard the topic. :-)
---
360 - LeeIsAce
PSN - BrokenBoone