I'm confused! The vita slim seems like a downgrade from old vita?

#1VoelgerPosted 4/22/2014 4:52:16 PM
I am thinking of buying a vita but I am trying to figure out if I want a oled or the slim. At first I think I want the slim because it's new, but it doesn't seem to be an upgrade. What are your impressions on it?
---
Fractal 304 node, i5 4670k, gtx 770 2gb, 8gb ddr3 1600, 7200rpm 500gb, 128 samsung SSD, no overclock
#2grangiaPosted 4/22/2014 5:01:34 PM
Only downgrade is the screen otherwise:

-more battery life
-new design (YMMV if you like it or not)
-built in memory
---
http://app.sketchclub.com/user/10083807
PSN:Dr-Toszi
#3BlueswordsXPosted 4/22/2014 5:04:42 PM(edited)
Yes, the screen is a downgrade as OLED costs too much to manufacture and they switched to LCD so they can drop the price, since Vita isn't doing well enough to justify making them with OLED. Some people have compared it to the 2DS. However it adds a bunch of nice changes like a better battery life and non-proprietary charge, and of course as the title suggests it weighs less. So it's up to you to decide what's more important.

The built-in memory is pretty much irrelevant though as it's automatically turned off if you have a memory card inserted.
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#4Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:03:55 PM
What's advantage of built in memory? Is battery life a big improvement?

Also how much more comfortable is the new vita? That's a big deal for me. The buttons seem larger and the back seems better? Does this make a big difference in how it feels in your hand. They should of given it bumpers
---
Fractal 304 node, i5 4670k, gtx 770 2gb, 8gb ddr3 1600, 7200rpm 500gb, 128 samsung SSD, no overclock
#5kingofall214Posted 4/22/2014 5:04:45 PM
grangia posted...
Only downgrade is the screen otherwise:

-more battery life
-new design (YMMV if you like it or not)
-built in memory

Just want to add

-it's lighter
-Better start and select buttons
-Standard micro usb charger and not a proprietary piece of crap that falls apart on it's own.

I already have an OG vita but if it broke or was stolen I would have no problem picking up a 2k.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#6Village IdiotPosted 4/22/2014 5:16:21 PM
Voelger posted...

Also how much more comfortable is the new vita? That's a big deal for me. The buttons seem larger and the back seems better? Does this make a big difference in how it feels in your hand. They should of given it bumpers

8gb memory
1hr additional battery life
lighter and better select/start buttons

Note that the 8gb memory is useless if you decide to get a memory card.
---
PSN - Zaphikl
Now Playing - Mana Khemia~Student Alliance, Project Diva F, Tales of Xillia, Spelunky, Teleglitch
#7Yakra88Posted 4/22/2014 5:17:54 PM
It is a downgrade.
---
So, where is my dream? It is a continuation of reality.
But where is my reality? It is at the end of your dream.
#8j2zon2591Posted 4/22/2014 5:20:41 PM
Village Idiot posted...
Voelger posted...

8gb memory
1hr additional battery life
lighter and better select/start buttons

Note that the 8gb memory is useless if you decide to get a memory card.

Specially if you can't sell the 8GB card or plan to have a separate/emergency card for a different regional account.

I wish these VITA cards were just hot swappable..
#9WartPig_Posted 4/22/2014 5:29:09 PM
um ot comes with a 8gb card. its not built in. the built in memory is 1gb and cannot be used if you have a mem card in. you can still just swap in your current card.
---
PSN-WartPigX, XBL-WartPig ...... Novorossiya
"people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening"
#10Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:45:59 PM
Is the new vita more comfortable to hold?

Otherwise I think I'm getting the oled version
---