Which Atelier game should I get?

#1Jarred623Posted 4/29/2014 2:47:43 PM
I've never played any of them.
I don't want to "play them in order."
I want one that will wow me and get me interested enough in the series.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#2cayrelouPosted 4/29/2014 2:53:59 PM
If you're patient enough, wait for Atelier Rorona Plus which was leaked by Amazon (release date : 13th june). Physical for PS3 and digital (sadly) for Vita.

If you own a PS3, then, go for Atelier Ayesha and then Atelier Escha&Logy.
---
EXTRAORDINARY FC : 2492-4245-5578
#3BlueswordsXPosted 4/29/2014 2:54:14 PM
Probably Meruru then since it's more recent, but be aware that they are not tradition JRPG, and the main focus is time management and alchemy, so you need to approach with an open mind rather than comparing it to Final Fantasy to guage your wow factor.
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#4Gamemaster64Posted 4/29/2014 3:34:01 PM
BlueswordsX posted...
Probably Meruru then since it's more recent, but be aware that they are not tradition JRPG, and the main focus is time management and alchemy, so you need to approach with an open mind rather than comparing it to Final Fantasy to guage your wow factor.

one problem I have with starting with Meruru is that it spoils the true end of Totori's. There also the might be trouble going backwards in gameplay. So unless you going forward and never going back then I guess Meruru is a good choice. PS3, go with the newer ones that been mentioned.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
3DS- 3308-4618-5127
#5Ultima546Posted 4/29/2014 3:38:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6ennuigamerPosted 4/29/2014 4:11:43 PM
I highly recommend starting with Atelier Totori Plus. Get it while it's on sale this week to save money. Then move on to Meruru Plus, also on sale this week.

I would save Ayesha for when Ayesha Plus comes out over here.
---
Remember: quality and convenience are rarely seen holding hands.
#7Sami1000Posted 4/29/2014 4:18:25 PM
So Meruru is better choice? If we talk purely about the gameplay part, and stuff it is surior game, which also tells what happened in Totori?
#8RedSuiseiPosted 4/29/2014 4:23:15 PM
Sami1000 posted...
So Meruru is better choice? If we talk purely about the gameplay part, and stuff it is surior game, which also tells what happened in Totori?

If you only want to play one with absolutely no interest in getting into the series, then yes. Otherwise, start from Totori. Meruru doesn't tell what happened in Totori, but it does spoil the true end, so if you go back Totori from Meruru, you'll get spoiled and you'll feel noticeable downgrade.

Anyway, I lost count how many threads asking about Atelier in the last two days ._.
#9Sami1000Posted 4/29/2014 4:29:30 PM
RedSuisei posted...
Sami1000 posted...

If you only want to play one with absolutely no interest in getting into the series, then yes. Otherwise, start from Totori. Meruru doesn't tell what happened in Totori, but it does spoil the true end, so if you go back Totori from Meruru, you'll get spoiled and you'll feel noticeable downgrade.

Anyway, I lost count how many threads asking about Atelier in the last two days ._.

I just don't feel need to buy Totori then, if i will only play it once. I value my games, and i always buy only those which i know, or am sure of that i will enjoy enough to play them more than once.
#10SonyhateVitaPosted 4/29/2014 11:10:29 PM(edited)
For starters I recommend meruru cause it's much easier than totori. Tips for early month: There are free uni outside the workshop (in totori you have to get them in world map), always bring around 20+ when going outside (crafts are better though, but uni are free), and bring healing salve too. In battle toss uni and follow up with assist attacks. Whenever Hagel shop available buy 3 of his armor ASAP. it cost 500 G each so you need 1500. Doing this will make your journey bearable. And lastly stock bombs if you want to face a boss, that unicorn especially.