PSVita any known battery problems? Similar to PSP

#1HeartTranquilPosted 5/6/2014 11:14:16 PM
PSP:

I heard that if you aren't using the psp for a long time that you should remove the battery from it.

Basically a few days of no use and the PSP battery will die and need to be recharged.
After weeks/months of no use then the battery cells start to die or get old or something without charging.

Then for years of no use or recharging the battery they stop working.

What about the PSVita? Does it suffer from the same problem? Or is the tech now just better?
#2Klon_RedfieldPosted 5/6/2014 11:28:33 PM
HeartTranquil posted...
PSP:

I heard that if you aren't using the psp for a long time that you should remove the battery from it.

Basically a few days of no use and the PSP battery will die and need to be recharged.
After weeks/months of no use then the battery cells start to die or get old or something without charging.

Then for years of no use or recharging the battery they stop working.

What about the PSVita? Does it suffer from the same problem? Or is the tech now just better?

I've left my PSP on sleep mode for weeks and when I pick it up it has like half battery left, was this an issue with the 1000 or 2000 models? never heard of it.
---
Playing: Arc the Lad (PSOne classic on PSV), The Last Remnant (PC), Brave Story: New Traveler (PSP).
#3ZezrsPosted 5/6/2014 11:40:44 PM
That applies to all lithium ion batteries. You're supposed to keep them above 80% and constantly top them off. You aren't supposed to deep cycle charge then, which is letting them get near 0% and then fully charging them as this can damage the battery cells. If the battery gets to 0% and then further dips below that, the battery may not be able to be recharged again. For storage, yes it is better to remove the battery from the unit and keep it in a cool, dry place.
#4HeartTranquil(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 11:49:17 PM
Since the PSVita's battery cannot be removed easily will you suggest just to keep it always charged? Just to prolong its life into the future.

What about collectors who collect PSVitas? PSVitas come charged. But if collectors continue to keep that system sealed, the battery life will slowly fade away to nothingless, so what they have left in the future is just a dead battery in a sealed PSVita?
#5LeFeverBeaverPosted 5/6/2014 11:54:28 PM
It's not actually sealed...
---
PSN: LeFeverBeaver; 3DS: 4098-3222-8394; Twitter:@MrMediocrity; Blog: http://zakhansonfan.wordpress.com;
Vita Phat, Vita Slim, 3DS: Any questions?
#6HeartTranquil(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 11:55:41 PM
Well I'm just saying... collectors who collect PSVitas and just leave it in the box... 1 year maybe 2 years later they may run into a problem with collecting a dead and unstartable unchangeable PS-Vita

-__-
#7ZezrsPosted 5/7/2014 12:02:45 AM
If you have it turned off, I'd suggest topping it off like once every month or two. If it's on then maybe every 2 weeks depending on how much you play it and how low the battery gets. It takes a long time for lithium ion batteries to sustain damage from inactivity so you don't have too much to worry about. Just don't let it sit at low charge levels for prolonged periods of time because it only gets lower as time goes on.

As for the collectors, they either collect it and never even play the damn thing so it's already useless to them as is, if they wait too long (years) to play it they are in for a rude awakening, or if it is actually used semi-regularly it should be fine.
#8HeartTranquil(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 12:12:25 AM
Zezrs posted...
If you have it turned off, I'd suggest topping it off like once every month or two. If it's on then maybe every 2 weeks depending on how much you play it and how low the battery gets. It takes a long time for lithium ion batteries to sustain damage from inactivity so you don't have too much to worry about. Just don't let it sit at low charge levels for prolonged periods of time because it only gets lower as time goes on.

As for the collectors, they either collect it and never even play the damn thing so it's already useless to them as is, if they wait too long (years) to play it they are in for a rude awakening, or if it is actually used semi-regularly it should be fine.

Thanks for the clarification, a very very enlightened post I must say...

Collectors should really take it out of the box and charge it once in a while (maybe 1 or 2 years at the max) just so everything can remain healthy.
#9highndry18Posted 5/7/2014 1:28:33 AM
HeartTranquil posted...
Zezrs posted...

Collectors should really take it out of the box and charge it once in a while (maybe 1 or 2 years at the max) just so everything can remain healthy.

I left my Vita in sleep mode for a few months at one time and when I tried to wake it up, the battery was already flat.

1 or 2 years seem far too long a downtime. I usually just do a top-up charge once every week or two weeks at the most.
#10FIR_FIRPosted 5/7/2014 2:32:10 AM
highndry18 posted...
HeartTranquil posted...
Zezrs posted...

I left my Vita in sleep mode for a few months at one time and when I tried to wake it up, the battery was already flat.

1 or 2 years seem far too long a downtime. I usually just do a top-up charge once every week or two weeks at the most.

True, I thought about actually collecting a PSVita 1000 (the red sparkling color one) and then thought it's going to be a real hassle having to take it out of its box and recharging it every week or fortnight or month just so the battery life doesn't decay.

But it seems like unless one is willing to constantly recharge their portable, then collecting sealed versions may not be a good thing as the battery can die much much quickly compared if you regularly use i.t