This Just In: Borderlands 2 Is Nearly Unplayable, Sad to Say.

#1LeFeverBeaverPosted 5/7/2014 1:17:53 PM
I posted this on the BL2 forum as well. Just fair warning. I initially defended it because I really do think it looks beautiful when you're walking around and getting into some light combat. But it all changes when things heat up...

When the action gets heavy, the framerate drops to absolute dogs***.

I'm at the battle with Flynt (near the beginning of the game) and when he his minions are coming after you, he's coming after you, the flames kick in, Flynt uses his flame thrower... it gets SO choppy you can't tell where the enemies are, what direction you're turning, etc. The sound even stutters and cuts in & out.

There are several other technical issues I was willing to overlook until this battle kinda forced the reality of how crap this game is. First, loading takes an EXTREMELY long time. The in-game menu lags like crazy; it takes a second or so after hitting the shoulder button for the menu to catch up, etc.

The text is positively unreadably small on the Vita. (If you thought Atelier Meruru was pushing it with microtext...)

The touch controls are dogs*** as well; not responsive enough for a game like this. When I try to melee someone, since I have my melee set to bottom right touch screen, assuming I hit it in the right place (the game never tells you exactly where the area to touch is), it takes about a second to register. Can't tell you how many times I've been wasted due to clunky melee response.

I am so disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like this game. And I still do, when things aren't crazy on the screen, but these boss battles are bottlenecks in the game; if you can't beat them, you can't move on. Anyway, I suppose the game is still worth playing, especially if you've never played it before, but man, these technical issues just kill what should be one of the best FPS experiences on the Vita, and what could've been one of the best games on Vita.

You've been warned.
---
PSN: LeFeverBeaver; 3DS: 4098-3222-8394; Twitter:@MrMediocrity; Blog: http://zakhansonfan.wordpress.com;
Vita Phat, Vita Slim, 3DS: Any questions?
#2GigaDogqHDPosted 5/7/2014 1:18:16 PM
wat
---
There are three types of people on GameFAQS...those that agree with me, those that are wrong, and those that are insane
#3LeFeverBeaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 1:21:23 PM
yep. Just spent a good couple hours with it. It's *okay* until the action gets heavy. Then it deteriorates into a soup sandwich.
---
PSN: LeFeverBeaver; 3DS: 4098-3222-8394; Twitter:@MrMediocrity; Blog: http://zakhansonfan.wordpress.com;
#4AceMagasePosted 5/7/2014 1:22:45 PM
you shoulda read between the lines of the few previews out there Any time a preview doesn't gush about the game it's not a good sign. Any time previews are even slightly negative the game will most likely suck butt. Any time there's almost no coverage of a major release - yep, it's gonna suck butt
#5TerryJ999Posted 5/7/2014 1:24:36 PM
LeFeverBeaver posted...
I posted this on the BL2 forum as well. Just fair warning. I initially defended it because I really do think it looks beautiful when you're walking around and getting into some light combat. But it all changes when things heat up...

When the action gets heavy, the framerate drops to absolute dogs***.

I'm at the battle with Flynt (near the beginning of the game) and when he his minions are coming after you, he's coming after you, the flames kick in, Flynt uses his flame thrower... it gets SO choppy you can't tell where the enemies are, what direction you're turning, etc. The sound even stutters and cuts in & out.

There are several other technical issues I was willing to overlook until this battle kinda forced the reality of how crap this game is. First, loading takes an EXTREMELY long time. The in-game menu lags like crazy; it takes a second or so after hitting the shoulder button for the menu to catch up, etc.

The text is positively unreadably small on the Vita. (If you thought Atelier Meruru was pushing it with microtext...)

The touch controls are dogs*** as well; not responsive enough for a game like this. When I try to melee someone, since I have my melee set to bottom right touch screen, assuming I hit it in the right place (the game never tells you exactly where the area to touch is), it takes about a second to register. Can't tell you how many times I've been wasted due to clunky melee response.

I am so disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like this game. And I still do, when things aren't crazy on the screen, but these boss battles are bottlenecks in the game; if you can't beat them, you can't move on. Anyway, I suppose the game is still worth playing, especially if you've never played it before, but man, these technical issues just kill what should be one of the best FPS experiences on the Vita, and what could've been one of the best games on Vita.

You've been warned.

Can u give me a TL:DR version?
---
I'm the beast that hunts in the darkness now. I'm the monster who even monsters fear. I'm the White Tiger!
-Ava Ayala
#6LeFeverBeaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 1:26:04 PM
That's the disappointing thing, though; it DOESN'T suck butt! It's an awesome Borderlands experience until the Vita (or the programming) can't handle what's happening on the screen. It's got the loot, the humor, the music, the atmosphere, Clap Trap, gore, psychos shouting existentialist rhetoric as they try to kill you...I dunno. Maybe you're right. Maybe it does suck butt lol. But not out loud. It doesn't suck out loud. Just... in private.
---
#7OhGoodGriefPosted 5/7/2014 1:27:30 PM(edited)
It's not unplayable but it's framerate is poor in most combat situations. The text is indeed small and the menus do have transition lag. Audio recordings also seem to take a while to load.

Not game breaking/unplayable but really annoying, especially the framerate. I deleted the game so I can redownload it, though I doubt it will help.

Try playing offline TC.
#8LeFeverBeaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 1:27:13 PM
TerryJ999 posted...
Can u give me a TL:DR version?

Technical issues marr what could have been one of the Vita's best games. Worth a play, but don't set your hopes too high.
---
#9LeFeverBeaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 1:28:08 PM
OhGoodGrief posted...
Try playing offline TC.

I am offline. No difference. Maybe a patch will be released to fix these issues?
---
#10ZezrsPosted 5/7/2014 1:28:52 PM
TL;DR It sucks but can be fun