Vita vs Vita Slim: Your experiences

#1BlueswordsXPosted 5/16/2014 3:30:45 PM
I ended up buying the original Vita in a bundle with Muramasa and Ys last week, but somehow the seller managed to explode them within the week and fully refunded me. So once again I'm left at looking for another Vita purchase, but now that the Slim has been out for a while, what are people's experiences with it?

I've heard wildly varying figures about the battery life with the Slim. Is it 1 more hour, or 3+ hours like some people claim? Does the screen always have a green-ish tint as seen here: http://i.imgur.com/fBEqkOu.jpg

And for the USB cable, does it make it easier to transfer files from the computer to the Vita? Or do you still need to go through the Content Manager? I've heard people say for some PSP games on the original Vita you would need a PS3 to transfer it to Vita, which is ridiculous. How about for the Slim?

I'm buying the Vita for a handheld console experience as originally advertised, and have no interest in the Sony consoles themselves, so all this constant assumption that you'd have a PS3/4 to fully enjoy the Vita is making me wary.
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#2KiraWinsPosted 5/16/2014 3:32:45 PM
please.
use the search function.

theres been over 100 of these topics just in this week alone.
---
Persona/ SMT Atlus in a nutshell: http://a.pomf.se/jmqnvq.gif
Pizza in Japan is horrendous - Number of people who find me annoying: 31
#3Fray_MakenPosted 5/16/2014 3:39:07 PM
KiraWins posted...
please.
use the search function.

---
PSN ID:
#4inFAMOUSJakeyPosted 5/16/2014 3:46:58 PM
Honestly I see 0 problem with screen ZERO.
Games looks all good, not to mention battery life improvement (seriously, at least 2-3 hours longer) and black mat finish on the back is nice as well not to mention how much lighter it really is
---
YouTube-inFAMOUSJakey
PSN-inFAMOUSJakey 3DS FC: 1693-2004-2756
#5joegt123Posted 5/16/2014 3:55:29 PM
1000 is out of print and hard to find. Just get a 2000 for sake of ease and supporting the system.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: I don't even know, anymore....
#6BlueswordsX(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 3:59:06 PM
KiraWins posted...
please.
use the search function.

I'm well aware, and after all that it's how I chose to buy the original Vita (mostly for the bundled RPGs and 32 GB memory card).

But the way the purchase suddenly exploded over the week and I got all my money refunded makes it almost feel like some kind of karmic warning, as if asking me to reconsider everything, so I'm asking for the current hands-on opinions 10 days after Slim launch.

Unlike most people though, I don't really care about the battery life or much about the screen. The whole decision pretty much banks on the USB charger change, as I find being forced to use the Content Manager unacceptable. Say I want to put text files from an online book onto my Vita. Does Slim make that easier?
---
#7joegt123Posted 5/16/2014 4:02:26 PM
The slim has a micro usb port. Pretty much the only standardized feature of the thing, but yes. Much easier to get things done, now.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: I don't even know, anymore....
#8KiraWinsPosted 5/16/2014 4:05:20 PM
BlueswordsX posted...
KiraWins posted...
please.
use the search function.

I'm well aware, and after all that it's how I chose to buy the original Vita (mostly for the bundled RPGs and 32 GB memory card).

But the way the purchase suddenly exploded over the week and I got all my money refunded makes it almost feel like some kind of karmic warning, as if asking me to reconsider everything, so I'm asking for the current hands-on opinions 10 days after Slim launch.

Unlike most people though, I don't really care about the battery life or much about the screen. The whole decision pretty much banks on the USB charger change, as I find being forced to use the Content Manager unacceptable. Say I want to put text files from an online book onto my Vita. Does Slim make that easier?

youre not well aware if youre asking these questions

and its apparant by your choice of console, and your questioning
---
Persona/ SMT Atlus in a nutshell: http://a.pomf.se/jmqnvq.gif
Pizza in Japan is horrendous - Number of people who find me annoying: 31
#9BlueswordsX(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 5:10:19 PM
joegt123 posted...
The slim has a micro usb port. Pretty much the only standardized feature of the thing, but yes. Much easier to get things done, now.

In what ways does it make it ""much easier to get things done"? Just charging, or also file transfer?

When people talk about the comparison they usually stress the screen and batterylife. Battery life is almost irrelevant to me. I just care about vibrant, colorful screen and file transfer without need for PS3. The last one is where the Slim can score over the original as that's by far the most important thing to me. I want to have hope that someday there'd be some way to add fan translation to visual novels like Fate Hollow/Ataraxia Voiced Edition or other imports I might buy from Japan.

Also, what is the state of mods like on Vita currently? Back on PSP some games like FFT were made significantly more playable by mods that optimized them (for example, there was a mod to remove the infamous slowdown in FFT). Would these still be available on the Vita?
---
#10gldooriiPosted 5/16/2014 5:14:20 PM
I own both models and find myself grabbing the slim most of the time. It's much more comfortable to hold (imo) and I have no issues at all with the screen whatsoever.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix