Going into the Persona series. How should i start?

#1coolpoppy3Posted 6/4/2014 4:46:42 AM
Is it best to play the series in order of release?(Persona 1, 2, 3, 4 etc)

Or do they all have stand alone stories to the point where there are either little to no references, or they are very minor?

If i do start with the first and eventually second game, how are they? I know that P3 and P4 get a lot of praise, but i haven't really heard much hype about the 1st and 2nd. Are they worth it?
#2BlabadonPosted 6/4/2014 4:48:09 AM
P4

Skip the rest
---
Playing Virtue's Last Reward before 999? Don't. Please, for the sake of everything, don't. My crusade around the internet to spread this truth goes on.
#3Ep1taph303Posted 6/4/2014 4:55:22 AM
Blabadon posted...
P4

Skip the rest

Don't listen to this guy.
#4falloutbeast101Posted 6/4/2014 5:01:51 AM
P1 and P2 are connected, but i'm not sure if you need to play P1 fist since i never did.
P2 is a duology. You must play Innocent Sin first, Eternal Punishment second

P3 and P4 are also connected to each other, but you don't need to play them in order.

They're all really amazing. Hope you enjoy them.
---
Propaganda Idols! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDVQOduEx8 featuring Panna, Opti, and Connie! (better quality now :D)
#5Semi45aPosted 6/4/2014 5:03:05 AM
play em backwards. Wait for Persona 5!
---
"when you set yourself on fire, people love to come and see you burn." ~John Wesley, Eighteenth Century Evangelist
#6Hercik1Posted 6/4/2014 6:01:17 AM
P1 - Isn't really good at all. It's the first in the series so it is understandable.

P2 - Has a great story but the gameplay is very dated. The random encounter rate is also very high. If you don't mind the old games you should give it a chance. Gameplay is completely different from p3 and p4.

P3 - It is up in the air on which is better p3 Fes pr p3p. Fes gives an epilogue to the games ending so their is more closer while p3p offers gameplay improvements and another campaign as a female MC. This is the most similar to P4 with the major difference the story is more serious.

P4 - This one does have a definite version P4G. Gameplay is the same as P3P with the story being more high school detective then saving the world.

Honestly I liked P3P the best. I know more people liked persona 4 but for me the dungeon almost seemed boring some how. Maybe because I already played P3P but the dungeon in P4G was a grind and I dreaded going back in there. The gameplay wasn't bad such it got old way before I hit the top floor. The story was pretty good though.
#7jenraisPosted 6/4/2014 6:24:11 AM
Start with P1 or 2. If you play 3 or 4 and than go back to the first two you'll feel it's dated and lose motivation. Even though I went from 4 to 3 to 2 and than 1. I still love 2 the most
#8LemonKweenstaaaPosted 6/4/2014 6:44:19 AM
I would honestly recommend skipping 1. Its aged very poorly and is incredibly tedious.

The P2 duology has the best story in the series, but the gameplay is very convoluted if you try to obtain a lot of different Personas. Its sort of like Pokemon where its actually easier if you take the simplest approach possible.

Blabadon posted...
P4

Skip the rest

You are the worst kind of Persona fan.
#9PotatosPlsPosted 6/4/2014 6:48:33 AM
in terms of well-roundedness based on what I've played so far of all of them

p4 > p3 > p2 > p1

p4 has the least grindy dungeons, great gameplay, but imo the dating sim stuff makes it somewhat lacking, it feels very highschoolish.

I've only just started p3, but im enjoying how it feels a lot darker and more suspenseful, yet the dungeons are notably poorer then p4 - its just repetitive grinding. p3ps gameplay is very similar to p4g, so I can't complain.

p2 - innocent sin is the only one I've tried so far, people rave about the story but Im not far enough yet to comment on it. its quite dated, but I can feel theres a lot of underlying stuff going on story wise, its just the start of the game was very lackluster. visually and customization wise, its lacking.

I didn't buy p1 because it is quite dated.
---
So... are you gonna eat all that? http://i.imgur.com/fiU6oFM.gif
http://i.imgur.com/B1594cP.jpg
#10smitsonmattPosted 6/4/2014 6:59:47 AM
I'd start with P3P and then play P4G afterwards.
---
Currently Playing: FFX/X-2, Y's MoC, P3P, Infamous Second Son
Currently waiting for: Persona 5, Legend of Heroes SC, Tales of Xilla 2, Tales of Hearts R