Going into the Persona series. How should i start?

#21walnut100Posted 6/4/2014 10:13:01 AM
1's still fun guys (As long as you DON'T play it on PS1 - Japanese or English that version is bad these days)

It's only problem really is you spend so much time dungeon crawling it gets hard to focus on the plot segments. I always have a nebulous idea of what's going on when playing it and have to go back and re-read a plot summary to go "oh yeah"
---
We Americans will never take over the world. We're far too lazy.
We'll outsource the task to India, and then take the credit for it. ~ Waffleman
#22westontickleePosted 6/4/2014 10:17:44 AM
I like P1, but the exp system frustrated me. If I ever have the patience I might go back to it because the story was really interesting.
---
Royal Court: Queen Jiggs, Princess Flabebe, Lord Nyaoni, Lady Meowstic, Empress Delphox
JiggsNation Territories: Pokemon X, FFXV, LR: FFXIII, P4G and P5 Boards
#23walnut100Posted 6/4/2014 10:21:42 AM
Yeah by the end of the game I always get frustrated that Nanjo and Mark are like ten levels lower than everyone else

I always end up throwing Persona on them that are great against one enemy at a time but don't have any crowd control skills and the rest of the party kind of naturally takes the lion's share of the exp

Which makes it harder to negotiate and get new personas. ugh.
---
We Americans will never take over the world. We're far too lazy.
We'll outsource the task to India, and then take the credit for it. ~ Waffleman
#24TaaronPosted 6/4/2014 10:51:45 AM
westonticklee posted...
I like P1, but the exp system frustrated me. If I ever have the patience I might go back to it because the story was really interesting.

Out of all the Persona games, first one is the only game I sorta wanted to go back and play again.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#25mahgah91Posted 6/4/2014 12:48:23 PM
I suggest going P3 first. P4 is better on the technical side, but the Social Links in P3 were much better. The characters you deal with deal with very real world problems in very down-to-earth ways. I was incredibly surprised playing it how the creators abandoned hyperbolized anime behaviors and situations when it came to the Social Links.

P4 isn't really different, but it's just that P4 deals with the theme of "coming of age". There are a lot of stories that deal with coping with your adolescence, primarily sexuality and identity. In fact, one of the central story mechanics comes from the fact that adolescents must deal with who they are in order to mature as a person.

It's all rather clever, but not as...visceral to me as P3's stories.
#26TalesOfGodPosted 6/4/2014 1:07:07 PM
I strongly recommend trying out Persona 2 Innocent Sin first.

If you can stomach the tedious gameplay, then continue onward.

If not, play Persona 3 FES (the best game in the series) followed by Persona 4 Golden.

Don't bother with Persona 3 Portable as it is a very boring port.
#27jenraisPosted 6/4/2014 1:15:22 PM
PotatosPls posted...
in terms of well-roundedness based on what I've played so far of all of them

p4 > p3 > p2 > p1

p4 has the least grindy dungeons, great gameplay, but imo the dating sim stuff makes it somewhat lacking, it feels very highschoolish.

I've only just started p3, but im enjoying how it feels a lot darker and more suspenseful, yet the dungeons are notably poorer then p4 - its just repetitive grinding. p3ps gameplay is very similar to p4g, so I can't complain.

p2 - innocent sin is the only one I've tried so far, people rave about the story but Im not far enough yet to comment on it. its quite dated, but I can feel theres a lot of underlying stuff going on story wise, its just the start of the game was very lackluster. visually and customization wise, its lacking.

I didn't buy p1 because it is quite dated.

regarding P2. You have no soul
#28OoseyePosted 6/4/2014 1:25:14 PM(edited)
Skip P1/2 if you hate solid games with a good story lines. Play P3/4 only if you're into high school drama sims, because people definitely don't play 3/4 for the dungeon crawling or combat (hint: they're mediocre).
---
PLAYING: Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame & Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#29DarkChimera69Posted 6/4/2014 2:23:53 PM
Hi I recently bought on impulse Persona, P2 IS, P3 and P4G. I have started from the first game and plan to play in order. I can understand some of the comments but I am still having a blast with the first game even after 53 hours now lol. Then again I am new to the series so may be a tad naive haha.