Dub or Sub ?

#41RagnawindPosted 6/13/2014 10:29:10 AM(edited)
When there is no dual audio, I would choose dub every time. I definitely prefer dub on the handhelds, since the screen is so small compared to a TV. I already have to read the menus and unvoiced dialogue. The voiced dialogue is always a pain on a small screen, especially during scenes that auto-skip and movies in-game.
#42DarkBlade2Posted 6/13/2014 10:37:20 AM
Delphox posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...
I can go either way but I enjoy it when my games are dubbed. The only thing I could not deal with subbed is Dragonball Z, that has to be dubbed.

DBZ Dub was the worst dub I've ever witnessed. I'll never forget the terrible translation and non-stop "music" (if you could even call it that) playing in every moment.

Atleast they're improving with Kai by taking superior BGMs.

I think you are the first person I have met that did not like DBZ's dub. We are both thinking about the Funimation dub correct?
---
Wii U drought? Good thing I have a Wii U, Wii, PS3, 3DS, DS Lite, PS Vita and PSP.
#43RagnawindPosted 6/13/2014 10:46:35 AM
DarkBlade2 posted...
Delphox posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...
I can go either way but I enjoy it when my games are dubbed. The only thing I could not deal with subbed is Dragonball Z, that has to be dubbed.

DBZ Dub was the worst dub I've ever witnessed. I'll never forget the terrible translation and non-stop "music" (if you could even call it that) playing in every moment.

I think you are the first person I have met that did not like DBZ's dub. We are both thinking about the Funimation dub correct?

I would have to say the same thing. This is the first time I have heard someone not like the DBZ dub. I can understand the Ocean dub, but not the Funimation dub.
#44stickdude0Posted 6/13/2014 10:59:26 AM
falloutbeast101 posted...
Both. Dual audio master race.

^This.

But really, most dual-audio games only use the English script, and with what little knowledge I have of Japanese, I know enough to know when what is written in the subtitles is not what is being said, and that drives me crazy. XD
My vote still goes to Dub for that reason.
---
Nineball: Commencing hostilities since 1997.
#45heyjeyXYPosted 6/13/2014 11:09:36 AM
english dub with japanese subs.

problem?
#46stawg007Posted 6/13/2014 11:19:38 AM
Ragnawind posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...
Delphox posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...

I would have to say the same thing. This is the first time I have heard someone not like the DBZ dub. I can understand the Ocean dub, but not the Funimation dub.

I grew up with the Ocean dub so I greatly prefer the voices in it and the music but I like the Funi version too

But yeah, DBZ dub is great and I rarely see anyone complain about it

Watched a few clips of the Japanese version and can't stand it

OT: I don't mind sub if it's the only version but if there's a dub I'll always use it unless it's terrible
#47dogwarriorPosted 6/13/2014 11:35:38 AM
Zuxtron posted...
Dub all the way; what's the point of sub if you can't understand Japanese? If you don't speak the language of the voice actors, the voices may as well not be there.

If you DO understand Japanese, then sub is better, but I'd rather be able to understand the voices rather than just filter them out as white noise.

EDIT: Of course, I don't really care if a game comes with only subs, but if a game has dual audio I'll use the dub.

If I may assume, it seems most Americans who speak only English seem to have a distaste for other languages. At least from a lot of pro dub arguments you get the sense of "speak American in America". I'm bilingual, so maybe I'm bias. I enjoy my entertainment in it's original native presentation with directly translated subs. I've played many a games and watched many movies with trash subs or dubs that take liberties with script and ruin the original meaning. Like I know everyone loves the dbz dub, but man there's so much extra banter to fill in the original quiet tense moments I just can't stand it.
---
Steam- SonofClap | 3DS-0275-7168-6445 | PSN - AstrayGold
3570K OC'd @ 4.3Ghz | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GTX 670 SLi
#48BuretsuPosted 6/13/2014 11:38:41 AM
I can go either way.. I just don't like half-measures like SRT OG Saga or Tales of Hearts R that make it look like some lame fansub where they didn't know how to translate something and so didn't bother to.
---
Fall 2014: Persona Q for 3DS; 2015: Persona 5 for PS3
It's happening! It's happening!!
#49TinyTim123Posted 6/13/2014 11:49:25 AM
I have to be able to read words, voice acting is of secondary importance.

I absolutely hate when a game has voice acting and no subtitles at all; I hate when I have no idea what's going on. Aircraft engines, explosions and artillery fire have damaged my hearing so that I don't bother playing most games with the sound turned on.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#50ExDiosPosted 6/13/2014 11:53:37 AM
rub-a-dub-dub i like to scrub
---
Gamertag: Sicario XII
Nintendo ID: Exdios