Sony should just ditch the PS TV since, realistically, nobody will buy it

#111j2zon2591Posted 6/18/2014 9:54:50 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
stalemate_666 posted...
It's not the transfer speed that's slow it's the security checks.

No, it's the transfer speeds. Or at the very least, it's a combination of both. It took a very very long time to back stuff up even using Open CMA. I keep my firmware up to date and everything else, but I own a laptop and go places with no WiFi, so I like the option of being able to restore data on the road if need be.

I wonder if it's because it's doing some proprietary encryption/decryption during transfers that's why it's pretty slow.
#112stalemate_666Posted 6/18/2014 9:55:28 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
stalemate_666 posted...

No, it's the transfer speeds. Or at the very least, it's a combination of both. It took a very very long time to back stuff up even using Open CMA. I keep my firmware up to date and everything else, but I own a laptop and go places with no WiFi, so I like the option of being able to restore data on the road if need be.

open CMA still has security checks, it just doesn't check that it has the latest software via online.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#113TinyTim123Posted 6/18/2014 10:08:22 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
TinyTim123 posted...
stalemate_666 posted...

open CMA still has security checks, it just doesn't check that it has the latest software via online.

It can't check anything if I'm not online at all, except through the base CMA program. In that case, whether it's security checks or transfer speed, the whole thing is meaningless, since there is no current way to transfer at real speeds.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#114WerzaquePosted 6/18/2014 10:10:45 PM
TinyTim123 posted...

???

Aren't checks being performed on the Vita as you transfer? I always assumed that this was the reason for the abysmal transfer rates... i.e. a low-spec machine having to scan everything.
---
You should ignore more message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#115TinyTim123Posted 6/18/2014 10:24:20 PM(edited)
Werzaque posted...
TinyTim123 posted...

???

Aren't checks being performed on the Vita as you transfer? I always assumed that this was the reason for the abysmal transfer rates... i.e. a low-spec machine having to scan everything.

How would it do it if everything is offline? By which I mean what is it performing the checks against? It can have a database of a certain size in the firmware and the CMA itself, but is that enough to check everything? Maybe if it's all just a binary listing.

Edit:
j2zon2591 posted...
I wonder if it's because it's doing some proprietary encryption/decryption during transfers that's why it's pretty slow.

Maybe it's this.
Whatever the hell it is, it's ridiculous.

---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#116WerzaquePosted 6/18/2014 10:39:49 PM
TinyTim123 posted...

How would it do it if everything is offline? By which I mean what is it performing the checks against? It can have a database of a certain size in the firmware and the CMA itself, but is that enough to check everything? Maybe if it's all just a binary listing.

At the very least it can check for corrupt pathways and fileheaders not making its way through, I guess.
---
You should ignore more message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#117SoeroahPosted 6/18/2014 11:46:09 PM
WhatPoll posted...
Soeroah posted...
What? The Vita TV?

Please tell me you don't mean the Vita TV.

The Vita TV has 1GB of internal memory. But still too low to do anything useful. He thinks that the Vita TV SOMEHOW uses different memory cards or has a HDD or something.

Aaand my desire to get a Vita TV just took a nosedive.

Still cheaper than a Vita, but damn it. Stupid proprietary memory cards.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#118WerzaquePosted 6/18/2014 11:48:58 PM
Gosh, who would have thought it used the same memory cards...

You can simply plug in the memory card you're using for your Vita. All games on the card will be instantly available for play on the TV (although there is some rebuilding of the database upon startup).
---
#119SoeroahPosted 6/19/2014 2:10:41 AM
I don't have a Vita, or a Vita memory card, because a Vita costs about $300 here last I checked and a decent memory card is another $60-120 depending on how much space you want. I was holding off on the hope that Vita TV would be released worldwide and would just use a normal hard drive, but it seems if you want to play Vita games, you gotta support the price gouging.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#120WerzaquePosted 6/19/2014 2:24:20 AM
You can call it price gouging all you want, it's not gonna magically cause the price to lower, you know. If it isn't worth it to you, you have the power of NO BUY. A free skill, costs you no MP to execute. There really is no point in complaining about it here... tweeting @yosp about it is probably more fruitful.
---