Would I like P4G if I didn't like SMT IV?

#1Djwlfpack9Posted 6/19/2014 1:26:09 PM
Tried SMT IV a couple of times on my 3DS and I just couldn't get into it. Would getting P4G be a waste of time if I didn't like the demon fusion aspect in SMT IV?
#2PotatosPlsPosted 6/19/2014 1:26:49 PM
completely different game..
if you don't like demon fusion - then set your game on easy and don't do it?

otherwise, Idk. look at some gameplay. they function differently.
---
"who said vita is dead now ??where are they ??
Hahahahhahahaha" ~Orinn24 in Type-0 announced for Vita Thread
#3OoseyePosted 6/19/2014 1:27:25 PM
P4G is nothing like SMT IV besides some minor gameplay elements. But with that in mind SMT IV is still way better than Persona.
---
PLAYING: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame & Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
#4ZeroX91Posted 6/19/2014 1:34:15 PM
Ooseye posted...
P4G is nothing like SMT IV besides some minor gameplay elements. But with that in mind SMT IV is still way better than Persona.

That's a pretty subjective statement...and one I agree with....but first person is a dungeon crawling/ combat is a big turn off for some.
---
*insert something clever here*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfO2PW4wmY
#5nouseravailablePosted 6/19/2014 1:37:09 PM(edited)
Ooseye posted...
But with that in mind SMT IV is still way better than Persona.

Not really.

Either way, while they are completely different, the fusion system is somehow the same. Its just that instead of fusing demons, you will fuse Personas for your main chars. The support cast will have fixed Personas with full ability tree.

Oooh yeah, since you have a 3ds and a vita, you could also try the awesome Strange Journey (this is kinda closer to smt) or p3. Those are really good.
---
They could play the other Bard song live once in a while...
#6falloutbeast101Posted 6/19/2014 1:38:24 PM
Well, Persona 4 Golden is automatically better because it's in 3rd person.

Give it a shot.
---
Propaganda Idols! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDVQOduEx8 featuring Panna, Opti, and Connie! (better quality now :D)
#7Djwlfpack9(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 1:38:56 PM
ZeroX91 posted...
Ooseye posted...

That's a pretty subjective statement...and one I agree with....but first person is a dungeon crawling/ combat is a big turn off for some.

SMT IV is actually third-person, so I was happy about that. I really don't have much experience with RPG's (been gaming since the Atari 2600 but just never got into the genre) and decided to pick up SMT IV for the 3DS just to see what it was like. Yep, it's hard. I'm actually OK with that as I don't like playing games that don't offer up any kind of challenge. The demon fusion aspect was something I just struggled with, even with the game suggesting fusions for me. It seemed I was always ill-equipped when it came down to boss battles and then I'd have to spend time backtracking to try and recruit other demons to improve my party.

Maybe that's what those games are all about and I'm just completely missing the boat.

I knew the two games weren't similar, I was just curious how the fusion system in P4G worked and if it is something a newcomer would be able to grasp.
#8OoseyePosted 6/19/2014 1:39:15 PM
ZeroX91 posted...
That's a pretty subjective statement

Definitely.

ZeroX91 posted...
but first person is a dungeon crawling/ combat is a big turn off for some.

Persona has things a lot of people don't like either like bland randomized dungeons, high school/dating simulation, anime cliches and combat that requires no strategy whatsoever.
---
PLAYING: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame & Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
#9ZeroX91Posted 6/19/2014 2:01:48 PM
Ooseye posted...
ZeroX91 posted...
That's a pretty subjective statement

Definitely.

ZeroX91 posted...
but first person is a dungeon crawling/ combat is a big turn off for some.

Persona has things a lot of people don't like either like bland randomized dungeons, high school/dating simulation, anime cliches and combat that requires no strategy whatsoever.

Again not gonna disagree.....but the combat does require some strategy lets not pretend they are Final Fantasy.
---
*insert something clever here*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfO2PW4wmY
#10GalluszPosted 6/19/2014 2:03:11 PM
ZeroX91 posted...
Ooseye posted...

I dislike SMT IV. But love Nocturne. Ergo I love P4G. But hate SMT IV. That in mind i'm still playing SMT IV but am almost done
---
"Impossible doesn't mean very difficult. Very difficult is winning the Nobel Prize; impossible is eating the Sun." ~Lou Reed.