Would I like P4G if I didn't like SMT IV?

#41RosencroitzPosted 6/19/2014 11:37:27 PM
RatheV posted...
My history with the SMT series:

Hated SMT4
Loved Devil Survivor Overclocked
Currently 30 hours into P4G, loving it.

The combat is far less broken - it's not as easy to get free turns with super-effective moves, meaning that battles aren't decided simply by who gets the first turn on the field. Getting new Personas (Demons) is still luck-based, but it happens after the battle as opposed to during it, so you don't get frustrated and lose a bunch of items or health while trying to negotiate.

The story is far more interesting, too. The downside is, depending on difficulty, you'll spend far more time outside of the dungeons than in them, talking to people to increase your social links, and slowly incrementing 'social stats' that give you additional options (courage, dilligence, etc) I still find this interesting, though - if you've played Fire Emblem Awakening, it's kinda like the support conversations in that game, except with fewer characters and more conversations between them.

Best post of the topic; however it's amusing that the best retort that anybody can come up with for what they consider as a slight against their favorite game is "lolol u rong!1!!"
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#42pigzigaccount6Posted 6/19/2014 11:44:14 PM
p4 is one of the best rpgs on all time its worth a go regardless of ur opinion of the related series
---
BEASTモードPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG
PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG
#43westontickleePosted 6/19/2014 11:46:38 PM
It's funny you assume smtiv is our favorite game. I like the game but it's not my favorite. I just know when stuff is straight up wrong.

It's funny cause I called him out on his bs points and he gave me such a "logical" response. You're both dismissed.

Best post my ass. Lmao. I'm done
---
Royal Court: Queen Jiggs, Princess Flabebe, Lord Nyaoni, Lady Meowstic, Empress Delphox
JiggsNation Territories: Pokemon X, FFXV, LR: FFXIII, P4G and P5 Boards
#44tuna-eggPosted 6/19/2014 11:58:29 PM
P4G is much easier to get into than SMT IV and the gameplay and game world differ so you might like it.

But not utilizing the fusion aspect of SMT/Persona games is like ordering a sundae without chocolate syrup. (It's no longer a sundae).
#45xfrankcookxPosted 6/20/2014 1:38:02 AM
Ooseye posted...
Gallusz posted...
I dislike SMT IV. But love Nocturne. Ergo I love P4G.

Nocturne is nothing like the new Persona games so I have no clue what you're trying to say here.

sorry but wut? nocturne is still the best smt game out there (at least for me, and if it isn't so, it's still way better than persona 4). this coming from a guy that absolutely loves persona games. though i actually liked 2 and 3 way better than 4 golden. still loved 4 though. they're all amazing games.
---
pokemon y FC: 0146-8900-2718
#46TopHatPangolinPosted 6/20/2014 4:56:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#47TopHatPangolinPosted 6/20/2014 4:59:13 AM(edited)
imo SMT IV is one of the worst entries in the whole Megaten/SMT series thing (Persona isn't exactly SMT but that's such a nitpick it's ridiculous). It's got little extrinsic story value, the art direction is bland and all over the place at the same time, and demon fusion+stats got totally borked. It's a production mess.

P4G's persona (demon) fusion is pain-free. You get to choose cards you want at the end of battle as rewards (no negotiation), with a persona card usually in the mix. Personas keep many of their skills and can't necessarily inherit all skills from the personas used to fuse it, so choosing new skills takes less time and is a more guided experience.

Persona 4 Golden is probably intolerable if you can't watch an anime but the characters are excellent and the writing and themeing are great. Only half of your time will be spent playing in dungeons, though, as it's pretty narrative heavy. Also, a lot of the narrative presented to you is absolute(ly enjoyable) character fluff and some of the most relevant stuff (completing social links) you have to actively work toward.

P4G isn't much like SMT IV at all so if P4 seems to appeal to you, don't worry and jump in.

P.S. If you have a PS3, you might wanna check out Digital Devil Saga on PSN, if you want something with less levity and more RPG gameplay, with absolutely no fusion.
---
Play Soul Sacrifice Delta? Add me! NotEntirelyThere on PSN
#48CaptainLukaPosted 6/20/2014 5:18:25 AM
TopHatPangolin posted...
(Persona isn't exactly SMT but that's such a nitpick it's ridiculous).

It's really not a nitpick. Persona 3/4 offer drastically different experiences than the mainline SMT entries. Mechanically, narratively and even visually, it's difficult to get much further from P4 while still maintaining that they're from the same series.
---
PSN: Tyrannikos | 3DS FC: 4640-0120-2089
Playing: Hyperdimension Neptunia V, Terraria
#49TopHatPangolinPosted 6/20/2014 6:06:59 AM(edited)
CaptainLuka posted...
TopHatPangolin posted...

It's really not a nitpick. Persona 3/4 offer drastically different experiences than the mainline SMT entries. Mechanically, narratively and even visually, it's difficult to get much further from P4 while still maintaining that they're from the same series.

It's mainly about how it's a lot more convenient/immediately understood to say something's an SMT game than a Megaten game. Persona uses hella assets from SMT Nocturne, similar battle gameplay, and builds from the legacy of the franchise. Each SMT game is stand-alone (with a forced canon). SMT/Megaten has significantly more spin-offs than stand alone titles. In the west many of them have been labelled Shin Megami Tensei for convenience, which I am all for.
---
Play Soul Sacrifice Delta? Add me! NotEntirelyThere on PSN
#50CaptainLukaPosted 6/20/2014 6:12:11 AM
TopHatPangolin posted...
CaptainLuka posted...
TopHatPangolin posted...

It's mainly about how it's a lot more convenient/immediately understood to say something's an SMT game than a Megaten game. Persona uses hella assets from SMT Nocturne, similar battle gameplay, and builds from the legacy of the franchise. Each SMT game is stand-alone (with a forced canon). Megaten is mostly spin offs. In the west many of them have been labelled Shin Megami Tensei for convenience, which I am all for.

What? Megami Tensei games are not just spin-offs. Everything from the original Megami Tensei series to Devil Summoner to Shin Megami Tensei to DemiKids is under the Megaten banner.

Sure, call Persona SMT or a Megaten game, I'm cool with that. I'm for branding the series under one unified name that describes an overall theme. I understand that Persona takes a lot from the SMT series (P1/2 more so than P3/4), but my argument is that they are still such different experiences that differentiating them from SMT is nowhere near a "ridiculous nitpick". It's a legitimate view.
---
PSN: Tyrannikos | 3DS FC: 4640-0120-2089
Playing: Hyperdimension Neptunia V, Terraria