Anyone else afraid of buying a Vita?

#1Junpei_StupeiPosted 6/20/2014 9:30:01 AM(edited)
Okay, here's the deal.

We all know the Dreamcast, right? It was an amazing system that had great games.

The problem is that I know someone who bought one before, and ended up selling it right away because it only lasted 2 years in the market.

Right now, based on history, the 3rd year is usually the "magical year" for most consoles. It's usually the time when good, high-profile exclusives from 3rd parties come out. For the PSP, we've got Crisis Core. For the PS3, we've got MGS 4, and so on.

Vita is on its 2nd year now, so we've still got time. However, what worries me though is that nothing, Absolutely nothing, was announced this year at E3 that was high-profile for the system. No new Final Fantasies, No new Metal Gears, No nothing.

That is really worrying me. Those were some of the franchises that kept PSP going for the past 7 years. Heck, even Square-Enix alone was carrying the PSP on its back. That's not the case this time.

I don't want buy something that would last me for less than 5 years. Anyone else scared of this happening?

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#2RetroStormPosted 6/20/2014 9:26:35 AM
Nope.
---
Foremost a handheld gamer, collector and player of games for the following: Nintendo 2DS, DSi, Sony PSP & Vita. Also own Sony PS1, PS3 and PC.
#3BlabadonPosted 6/20/2014 9:27:09 AM
The Vita released in March 2012 for the West right?
---
Playing Virtue's Last Reward before 999? Don't. Please, for the sake of everything, don't. My crusade around the internet to spread this truth goes on.
#4shamfuruPosted 6/20/2014 9:27:27 AM
Your name seems familiar.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#5czberserkPosted 6/20/2014 9:27:46 AM
Greatness Awaits?!?
---
PSN: PirateKingCZ
DD:DA:Pawn: Suzune
#6UncleGrubbyPosted 6/20/2014 9:36:29 AM
I bought a Dreamcast brand new for $50 after the fallout and I had plenty of awesome games to play on it.

As for the Vita, I bought one last February and I can't keep up with my backlog (mostly because of PS+ freebies and sales). I think, as it stands right now, there's already enough content to justify owning the system. Plus there's still plenty of PSP games and PSOne classics I can play on it.

But you also didn't mention that, despite the lack of announcements at E3, there were quite a few announcements of new localizations for NA and EU and new games for Japan leading up to E3. And a lot of indies were announced for Vita too.

The games are still coming. They just didn't focus on Vita at E3 because they're still trying to keep the spotlight on PS4. Remember, MS doesn't have a handheld so they devoted all their time to the X1. Sony has to keep instep.
#7renegadeseraphPosted 6/20/2014 10:04:58 AM
RetroStorm posted...
Nope.

You probably already have a Vita lol!

Anyway TC, If I didn't already have a vita, I wouldn't buy one now sadly... :/
---
~Living is easy with Eyes Closed~
#8KtrazePosted 6/20/2014 10:15:14 AM
Bought one last week. No regret what so ever. Been using it primarily for remote play and it works flawlessly. Why so scurred??? Just enjoy it and stop worrying about all the naysayers an whatnot
---
PSN: Katraze
#9kabutokoujiPosted 6/20/2014 10:23:35 AM
Junpei_Stupei posted...
Okay, here's the deal.

We all know the Dreamcast, right? It was an amazing system that had great games.

The problem is that I know someone who bought one before, and ended up selling it right away because it only lasted 2 years in the market.

Right now, based on history, the 3rd year is usually the "magical year" for most consoles. It's usually the time when good, high-profile exclusives from 3rd parties come out. For the PSP, we've got Crisis Core. For the PS3, we've got MGS 4, and so on.

Vita is on its 2nd year now, so we've still got time. However, what worries me though is that nothing, Absolutely nothing, was announced this year at E3 that was high-profile for the system. No new Final Fantasies, No new Metal Gears, No nothing.

That is really worrying me. Those were some of the franchises that kept PSP going for the past 7 years. Heck, even Square-Enix alone was carrying the PSP on its back. That's not the case this time.

I don't want buy something that would last me for less than 5 years. Anyone else scared of this happening?

if crisis core was the savior on the west, no wonder the psp died in the west so long ago, and here this year they still made psp games, barely died a month ago.
---
If the western community is represented by Gamefaqs posters, I pity the west x.x
#10patkelly929Posted 6/20/2014 10:30:13 AM
I just got mine in the mail. I get what you're saying with Dreamcast, Right now, though, it's a great time to get one.

Yes, the horizon isn't ideal, but getting one right now lets you experience a library of games you might not have experienced. For me, I didn't have a PSP or PS3, and owning a PS4 makes me have no desire for another in house console.

I'm quite glad with my purchase. I've been playing God of War and Borderlands 2, familiar games, to get used to holding it, and getting a feel for the handheld. I have Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss on deck.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5371-8850 - Fletchinder, Magmar, and Charmeleon. PM me to get added.
PSN & XBL: ThePatKelly