My next VITA RPG?

#11Takaki-star(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 10:44:03 AM
Sorry, I probably should have been more informative about my tastes.

When I say RPG I actually mean Japanese RPG, and have no problem with "weird anime stuff" at all (I'm a Japanese Canadian, I get it!).

I'm not much of a western RPG player save for the Witcher series.

Thanks for the continued replies, and keep them coming please! I need my RPG fix.
#12MivoPosted 7/8/2014 10:59:23 AM
My choice would be "Ys: Memories of Celceta". Disgaea 4 is coming out in August, so I would wait for that. The games you listed are all vastly different, though.
#13loki00_00Posted 7/8/2014 11:21:34 AM
Yes Persona 4 Golden is the obvious choice, when you're done that consider Persona 2 Innocent Sin, it's also quite good. If you're going for Disgaea 3 I would encourage you to hold out for Disgaea 4 instead, it's out next month. I didn't like Disgaea 3.
---
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#14RedSuiseiPosted 7/8/2014 11:35:31 AM
From that list my favorite would be Demon Gaze. I actually find P4G and Ys Celceta to be underwhelming, but they're still nice choices as well.

Not listed that you may want to consider is the Atelier series, since you seem to have no problem with the more niche stuff. Personally the series is the most brain-power consuming JRPG I've ever played, though you may want to do your research first since it's quite different than your typical JRPG.
#15Stasis_SwordPosted 7/8/2014 11:37:10 AM
If you want an action RPG:
Ys

If you want turned based:
Persona 4

If you want a dungeon crawler:
Demon Gaze

If you want a strategy RPG:
I would generally recommend Tactics Ogre or FFT before Disgaea (quirky humor tends to be love/hate). Also it might be worth waiting a month for Disgaea 4.
---
"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating... Take it back!" - Xenogears
#16Lucretia_MercesPosted 7/8/2014 11:43:08 AM
I would recommend Demon Gaze or Ys: Mmories of Celceta.

Demon Gaze is a great first personal DRPG with great characters, lots of customization, fun combat and fantastic music.

Memories of Celceta is an ARPG with 6 playable characters with great combat and fantastic boss battles.
---
Most Anticipated Games of 2014: Final Fantasy: Explorers, Freedom Wars, Bayonetta 2, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, Tokyo Shinseiroku.
#17NCPwnPosted 7/8/2014 12:09:47 PM
Out of those, I would go YS.

But to me, Rainbow Moon is the best JRPG last gen, and on VITA, and on 3DS. OMG it's so good, my body shakes.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
The Last of Us, NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#18Takaki-star(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 1:38:12 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input. I think I'll give Demon Gaze a shot, as I'm in the mood for something new.

Seems like Conception II maybe isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'll probably try the demo to find out why.

Stasis_Sword, Tactics Ogre ROCKS!
#19MariaAlterationPosted 7/8/2014 1:41:21 PM
Takaki-star posted...
Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input. I think I'll give Demon Gaze a shot, as I'm in the mood for something new.

Seems like Conception II maybe isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'll probably try the demo to find out why.

Persona 4 Golden is still the best imp :P

The gameplay is fun and the music is fantastic (especially the boss theme)
#20Takaki-star(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 1:59:15 PM
MariaAlteration posted...
Takaki-star posted...
Everyone,

Persona 4 Golden is still the best imp :P

The gameplay is fun and the music is fantastic (especially the boss theme)

So I'm told! I'll likely play it eventually. I was fortunate enough to find the Solid Gold Edition back when it was released but have only opened it for the hard shell and wallpaper. I played P3 on PS2 recently so I'm now thinking something new would be good. Thanks for your suggestion!