So, Sword art online is about to be released this month in west???

#11TinyTim123Posted 7/9/2014 8:34:20 PM
How necessary does someone who has played it feel it is to watch the cartoon to familiarize myself with the story?
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#12Village IdiotPosted 7/9/2014 8:39:49 PM
Its like the .hack games.
---
PSN - Zaphikl
Now Playing - Mana Khemia~Student Alliance, Project Diva F, Tales of Xillia, Spelunky, Teleglitch
#13grangiaPosted 7/9/2014 8:41:09 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
How necessary does someone who has played it feel it is to watch the cartoon to familiarize myself with the story?

End of the first half since this game diverges into it's own alternate universe after that episode.
---
http://app.sketchclub.com/user/10083807
PSN:Dr-Toszi
#14TinyTim123Posted 7/9/2014 8:44:37 PM
grangia posted...
TinyTim123 posted...

End of the first half since this game diverges into it's own alternate universe after that episode.

That's not what I'm asking. Also, I don't really want to start a series to quit in the middle. I'm just asking if it's necessary to familiarize myself of the world independently of the game, or if I can go in blind, like how playing Dynasty Warriors with zero familiarity with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms books is just fine.

I mean, I read Three Kingdoms anyway, but that was for class and not for gaming.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#15SplatterHouse55Posted 7/9/2014 8:52:50 PM
HUfan4L posted...
Man I was excited about this game till I saw it was digital only.

Same here, although I might eventually DL it anyway if the word of mouth is strong.
---
Ever since I started working, every day has been worse than the last, so every time you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space
#16StrikeNinja24Posted 7/9/2014 9:05:40 PM
Village Idiot posted...

You'd be more right if it actually had a decent story.

SAO doesn't have a good story at all. It's actually really bad.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#17Village IdiotPosted 7/9/2014 9:28:38 PM(edited)
StrikeNinja24 posted...
Village Idiot posted...

You'd be more right if it actually had a decent story.

SAO doesn't have a good story at all. It's actually really bad.

It gets a lot better from the 3rd arc (GGO) onwards.

Basically, SAO originally was a short story that the author wrote for a writing contest back when he was a kid but was rejected because it was too long. He ended up putting it on his website where it sat there for years until someone discovered it, loved it, and it spread to the point where he decided to continue writing, until it got popular enough to be picked up by a publisher.

The story improved significantly after the second arc.

The story is actually already finished a long time ago and is getting compiled/edited into novels.
---
PSN - Zaphikl
Now Playing - Mana Khemia~Student Alliance, Project Diva F, Tales of Xillia, Spelunky, Teleglitch
#18kabutokoujiPosted 7/9/2014 9:33:19 PM
ZezWins posted...
it's like a singleplayer mmorpg

the combat is real time but you basically have an autoattack and a bucha other sword skills you can use.

for customization, you have to play as the main character from the anime (kirito) but you can customize how he looks, what he wears, what skills he has, etc.

also, im pretty sure the game is more open world than linear... but i don't own the game so someone else should confirm this for you

anyway, i recommend you watch the anime to get a feel for what the game is gonna be about... but don't watch the second half. it goes downhill from there l0l

it also has multiplayer if you didn't know
---
If the western community is represented by Gamefaqs posters, I pity the west x.x
#19Ghost_61636Posted 7/9/2014 9:46:58 PM
I agree, the current arc we are on is actually very well written.
---
FC: 4484-8954-1471
#20natchu96Posted 7/9/2014 11:42:42 PM(edited)
Ghost_61636 posted...
I agree, the current arc we are on is actually very well written.

Shorter time period, less events, less major characters. Still longer and better written than previous arcs. Rather funny really.

TinyTim123 posted...
grangia posted...
TinyTim123 posted...

That's not what I'm asking. Also, I don't really want to start a series to quit in the middle. I'm just asking if it's necessary to familiarize myself of the world independently of the game, or if I can go in blind, like how playing Dynasty Warriors with zero familiarity with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms books is just fine.

I mean, I read Three Kingdoms anyway, but that was for class and not for gaming.

Well the first half of the first season of the anime (or buy the LN to support the licensed translations!) would tell you a bit more of what happened before where the beginning if the game (as the game starts at floor 76). There are two people that join the cast that for plot reasons are clueless though, and a really brief overview is given for them. They're both characters that appeared in arcs after Aincrad though, and their pasts aren't that fleshed out because of that.

Every character is more fleshed out in the anime and LN though. The game makes enough sense to function by itself, but knowing the source material helps it make more sense.
---
"Whoa, is that a scythe?""It's also a customizable high-impact sniper rifle!"
-Ruby Rose, bragging to classmates at age 15, RWBY