Are VITA devs & publishers making good $$$ on Vita?

#1BirdWithDreamsPosted 8/4/2014 12:49:38 AM
Apparently the attach rate is very high. So this means devs make quite a good sum of money from Vita related game investments right?

Maybe Sony doesn't make good money off the Vita. But devs and localizers actually make good money.

Also localizers like Atlus USA, Aksys, XSeed, etc, they all make good money right? Or better money compared to PSP.
#2Garage_ManPosted 8/4/2014 1:03:50 AM
You need console SALES in order to sell games. You also need customers willing to pay $40 a crack for a game.

Anyways they must be doing decent....localizations keep happening right?

I don't think it's nearly as good as the psp days though. There were a few 1m+ games and right now freedom wars is expected for like 500k lifetime or something.
#3its_mattPosted 8/4/2014 1:18:23 AM
The budget needed to make a top notch Vita game probably isn't far off that of a PS3/Xbox360 game, but potential sales on Vita are so much lower that there is now little incentive for publishers/developers or apparently Sony them selves
#4BirdWithDreams(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:21:40 AM
Perhaps the top notch AAA Vita games won't make good $$$

But games which blend VN and stylized graphics might actually do quite well on the Vita.

Maybe some devs think something like, if we can't make a good looking 3D models, why not go for nicely drawn and animated 2D illustrations and use heavily stylised 3D models?

So this either you have the resources and the courage to go big on investment to make really realistic and wonderful 3D models/game world, or you scale back and focus on giving the game that artistic polish of 2D.
#5gadgaurdPosted 8/4/2014 1:31:25 AM
3rd party devs have made money off the Vita. Apparently Sony has not.
---
Wanna see a bunch of grown ass men consistently fail to understand what "preference" is while making stupid strawman arguments? Visit a system board.
#6Garage_ManPosted 8/4/2014 1:40:04 AM
If I had the money I would LOVE to release a few of my projects on the Vita. I just don't see it as a viable option at the moment.

Right now I'm working on a 3d visual novel like game with simplistic battling...but fused into the game so to say. If I can get registered with PS and get unity working fine maybe I will release it :p
#7BirdWithDreams(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:49:02 AM
Garage_Man posted...
If I had the money I would LOVE to release a few of my projects on the Vita. I just don't see it as a viable option at the moment.

Right now I'm working on a 3d visual novel like game with simplistic battling...but fused into the game so to say. If I can get registered with PS and get unity working fine maybe I will release it :p

Is this a personal project of yours where you are one man... or are you the leader of a small studio? Hopefully you can get register as a PSVITA dev without any problem!

One thing I'm curious is what self-publishing actually means. Like, I understand you don't go through a publisher and there's no retailer to get chunks of the game, devs just forgo a portion to Sony and that's it. So this is MUCH MUCH better profit wise. But self-publishing is ONLY for digital games right? If you want to make retail copies, even if you are like NISA where you're LEs are only available on your website, you still have to have a PUBLISHER?
#8Garage_ManPosted 8/4/2014 2:00:30 AM
I co-own a small studio. It is nothing special right now with just small mobile games but I'd like to change that now that Sony is being very "indie" friendly. We will see, I don't want to release 8/16 bit platformers :p

With self publish it's exactly that. You upload the game and take care of it yourself. Updates and all that's on you. I believe Sony takes 30% off the top and then you get 70% BUT after taxes and other nonsense you might see 5-10% of that net. At least for us right now. If it wasn't for my other company I would be screwed. Anyways...

Good question, no idea on how you can do a physical release without a publisher. I imagine they have access to the channels needed so you are "forced" to go with them for a physical release. No idea though.
#9gadgaurdPosted 8/4/2014 2:00:52 AM
BirdWithDreams posted...
Garage_Man posted...

Is this a personal project of yours where you are one man... or are you the leader of a small studio? Hopefully you can get register as a PSVITA dev without any problem!

One thing I'm curious is what self-publishing actually means. Like, I understand you don't go through a publisher and there's no retailer to get chunks of the game, devs just forgo a portion to Sony and that's it. So this is MUCH MUCH better profit wise. But self-publishing is ONLY for digital games right? If you want to make retail copies, even if you are like NISA where you're LEs are only available on your website, you still have to have a PUBLISHER?

Pretty sure you don't have to, it just makes things much easier.
---
Wanna see a bunch of grown ass men consistently fail to understand what "preference" is while making stupid strawman arguments? Visit a system board.
#10BirdWithDreams(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 2:21:30 AM
Garage_Man posted...
I co-own a small studio. It is nothing special right now with just small mobile games but I'd like to change that now that Sony is being very "indie" friendly. We will see, I don't want to release 8/16 bit platformers :p

Good question, no idea on how you can do a physical release without a publisher. I imagine they have access to the channels needed so you are "forced" to go with them for a physical release. No idea though.

This self-publishing thing Sony is promoting. Now, nothing is stopping big publishers/devs like SE or Capcom etc to self-publish their titles on PSVITA right?

One does not have to be an indie developer to self-publish. Well if this is the case, what is stopping big companies from going purely digital? Surely, surely, by cutting the middle-men such as retailers and manufacturers and distributors, purely digital means TONS AND TONS more profits right?

What is stopping them? Because the self-publishing terms and conditions are really really very generous.