Vita is big in Asia right? (But adults dont game in Japan)

#11KuzuryuSubaruPosted 8/5/2014 8:12:28 AM
Asian here, Sony handled the Vita very oddly in Asia.

I live in Singapore,the PSN Region Lock affects us horribly. The 3DS eShop isn't region locked so we don't have to pay exorbitant amounts for Nintendo games compared to Sony games if we go digital.

We have to pay around $65-70 for a $40 game on US PSN compared to $45 for a $40 game on the eShop. And we have no choice but to use US, our PSN Asia is run by either monkeys or incompetent morons, it gets games late, sometimes doesn't get games in English, and sometimes gets the game but not the DLC. Plus out retail games are usually in the R1 code, which makes things even more complicated if we use our native R3 PSN.
---
They went out of their way to make us pay for features that could have easily been added as a free, offline, inclusive function
-4chan anon on PokeTransfer
#12NnamzPosted 8/5/2014 11:03:20 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Seriously?
Why....

It's not that far removed from North American culture. Most women associate men playing dedicated video games with childishness. I have a bunch of non-gaming female friends, and spend a lot of time with my girlfriends non-gaming female friends as well. The things they say about male gamers are ridiculous.

The main difference is how it's handled. I'd say most (or at least a very large amount of) male gamers in Japan lie about gaming to avoid the stigma, while male gamers in the west just don't give a ****. This probably has to do with Japan being more of a "collective" culture, while North America is extremely individualistic.
#13HanzohPosted 8/6/2014 12:48:55 AM
I live in japan. I can say, gaming is big. When I return to usa for a visit, vita is so dead. Hard to find the systems and games. They are placed in a tiny corner of the store.
In japan, they are placed in the middle for all to see. A lot of advertisements as well.

Honestly, although it's bigger in japan, what's popular is cellphone gaming. Everyone's playing it on the trains, cafe, homes. All ages. Adults and children.
#14Terrorknight3Posted 8/6/2014 3:05:52 AM(edited)
Nnamz posted...
Jx1010 posted...
Seriously?
Why....

It's not that far removed from North American culture. Most women associate men playing dedicated video games with childishness. I have a bunch of non-gaming female friends, and spend a lot of time with my girlfriends non-gaming female friends as well. The things they say about male gamers are ridiculous.

The main difference is how it's handled. I'd say most (or at least a very large amount of) male gamers in Japan lie about gaming to avoid the stigma, while male gamers in the west just don't give a ****. This probably has to do with Japan being more of a "collective" culture, while North America is extremely individualistic.

Lmao.

I never knew any women in the U.S that have any problems with guys playing video games. Well only if they can't moderate their gaming habits.

I always thought Japan was sort of nerdy. I would reckoned people would be open to gaming no matter how old.
#15HermeticJusticePosted 8/6/2014 3:17:47 AM
no offense, but Asian people usually buy Asian games

that's why the PS VITA is doing okay there, and the XBox 360 completely bombed
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#16MivoPosted 8/6/2014 5:27:31 AM
Terrorknight3 posted...
I never knew any women in the U.S that have any problems with guys playing video games. Well only if they can't moderate their gaming habits.

Depends on your age group and your social circle. Even at my age (slightly over forty), I know more females who enjoy video games than those who don't, but that's because of the industry I work in and the company I keep. But in general, I agree with Nnamz that women are more prone to thinking that video games are a childish activity, though it's an increasingly weakening stigma since more and more people (of both genders) grew up with video games (including online and browser games) being omnipresent. (Besides, "most" women think "most" guys are immature anyway, regardless of our hobbies! ;))
#17MivoPosted 8/6/2014 5:28:07 AM
HermeticJustice posted...

So do Western Vita owners. ;)
#18KuzuryuSubaruPosted 8/6/2014 7:05:13 AM
HermeticJustice posted...

that's why the PS VITA is doing okay there, and the XBox 360 completely bombed

Actually, you will be surprised. I live in Asia, and more of my friends own 360s than PS3s and I have more friends that play Warcraft and Halo rather than Japanese games.
---
They went out of their way to make us pay for features that could have easily been added as a free, offline, inclusive function
-4chan anon on PokeTransfer