Which handheld to pick in 2014?

#1uketom89Posted 8/21/2014 12:33:37 PM
So I got some money in form of gift vouchers for an electronic store. Because of that, I decided to pick a handheld for myself, as the last one I got was my DS, ages ago.

The thing is, I honestly don't know which one to pick. I was thinking about the 3ds, with it's massive library and whatnot, but then it turned out it was out of stock in my local store, so I started toying with the idea of getting either a regular psp or a vita.

There have always been several psp titles I wanted to play, like ff duodecim, persona, monster hunter, kingdom hearts, ff tactics, patapon, and so on and so forth. From what I've seen on the vita, the only must-haves for me at this point are uncharted and ffx remakes.

So my question is (and it's legit, so no hate please):
- does it actually make sense for me to pick a sony handheld over the 3ds? I'm mostly an rpg guy, with a few shooters (bioshock, mostly) and action games (uncharted, tlou) sprinkled here and there
- if yes, should i buy a vita or go cheap and buy a psp, considering there's more games for the psp that i would like to play than for the vita?

thanks for your help! i'm asking here and not on the 3ds board, cause i kind of know what answer i'd get there ;)
---
Gaymer.
#2PotatosPlsPosted 8/21/2014 12:43:58 PM
As a user who owns both,

I can firmly say it would be hard for me to choose.

but I did choose the 3ds first , like the day it came out,

and only got my vita a few months ago -

so that kinda shows that the games I was interested in didnt start showing up till this year.

TL;DR

you only typed 2 vita games you liked

look at the upcoming titles, the entire library - see what actually interests you ON THE VITA

big rpgs coming up: tales of hearts R, oreshika, natural doctrine

also, there are some nice 'visual novels' [stories with pictures, similar to anime] on the vita, that Id highly recommend too - namely virtues last reward (sequel to 999 on DS) and danganrompa 1 (2 comes out later this year).

Though, something worth noting -

the 3ds is backwards compatible with ds games, meaning you can play the physical cartridge titles from both 3ds/ ds games on the 3ds, not to mention whatever else is on their digitial store.

the vita does not have this capability, it can only play the psp titles that are on the store - and there are many psp titles that AREN'T on the store, like phantasy star online, ff crisis core, kingdom hearts BBS,and many other notable titles.

on the flipside, I only play jrpgs, and found a wealth of those to explore on my 3DS especially since I only played pokemon on the previous DS I owned, so there was plenty of titles from the DS that were 'legendary' that I'd missed (radiant historia, dragon quest, chrono trigger, and the world ends with u just to name a few)

So all in all:

both handhelds have jrpgs - the 3ds has a wider variety of titles both backlog and coming in the future because its the more widely owned and supported handheld.

The 3ds will control the final fantasys, squares, legend of zelda, smash, and any big AAA title that hits handhelds.

The vita will continue to get japanese support and nicher, more indie titles since thats all that really wants to support the handheld.

2014 has been strong, probably the vita's strongest year - espeically with all the new versions (ps vita TV, vita 2000) it shows that theyre trying some things and attempting to get more support in a way

but just keep in mind

the 3ds will always get more of a variety of titles

the vita seems to be relegated to <0% western support. and seems to be 50/50 on niche titles / indies.

1. if you like the niche titles on vita, and the psp games interest you -Id highly recommend a vita.

2. if you are a monster hunter fan and a smash bros fan, but also like JRPGS and aren't famaliar with the many great ones on DS,

I'd recommend getting a 3ds.

actually, Id recommend getting a 2ds (cheaper and without the 3d, but can still play all the same games on 3ds/ ds)

and a psp because it seems you like jrpgs, but want the best of both worlds like me, but just dont have the money to spend on both.

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mPqycQ0tQ
FarMaster2008 / kpopluvr / zezprah / zezbruh / zezbrah / 2handsome4u is my brother-in-law
#3yomomma0919Posted 8/21/2014 12:46:31 PM
And what answer you think you'll get here?

I say look at the library of each system and decide which you like better.

I'd say get a psp for real cheap and the games are pretty inexpensive too.

the vita has persona 4, and the 3ds has monster hunter kingdom hearts and a new persona game coming later this year
---
3DS FC: 0533-4875-0540 VITA PSN:Leek0919
Now playing: Sonic Rush (DS) EOU(3DS) Pokemon X (3DS) Bravely Default (3DS) Senran Kagura Burst (3DS)
#4PotatosPlsPosted 8/21/2014 12:53:42 PM(edited)
yomomma0919 posted...
And what answer you think you'll get here?

he got good answers from you and I so far.

whats your budget TC?

you need to factor in the costs of memory cards as well.

they are much cheaper for the 3ds/2ds than say the ps vita.

psp is even cheaper.

a 32 gb for a 3ds/2ds: 20$-30$

a 32 gb for a psp: 10-20$

a 32 gb for vita: 60-70$.

obviously theres larger and smaller sizes, but this is just the median average of the medium(most widely purchased, largest localized in some cases) sized mem card. as you can see, the vita's cost much more -

and considering a lot of the games on vita are getting digital releases, it typically means you need a bigger memory card.

Just an example but FFX/X-2 - 2 games - if you buy it digital, together they're 6.5 GB in size.

seperately of course around 3, but nontheless still a large game - borderlands + all the dlc and downloads is around 5 GB.

these big vita games are anywhere from 3-5 GB, sometimes smaller. some psp games are only a few hundred MB, so they will vary in size.

its just wise to understand how big the memory cards are vs. how much space youll be using digitally, on future purchases, or games youve already got on PSN.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mPqycQ0tQ
FarMaster2008 / kpopluvr / zezprah / zezbruh / zezbrah / 2handsome4u is my brother-in-law
#5HermeticJusticePosted 8/21/2014 1:02:36 PM
GBA, not the SP, but the one that can play Game Boy games
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#6yomomma0919Posted 8/21/2014 1:07:38 PM
HermeticJustice posted...

Uh the sp can play game boy games
---
3DS FC: 0533-4875-0540 VITA PSN:Leek0919
Now playing: Sonic Rush (DS) EOU(3DS) Pokemon X (3DS) Bravely Default (3DS) Senran Kagura Burst (3DS)
#7uketom89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 1:08:06 PM
Thanks for your answers, guys :)

About me pointing out only 2 vita games - to be honest, those were simply the first two that came to mind, I've seen others that seem to be interesting, like lbp, ys, soul sacrifice, disgaea, tales of heart seem like a big yes as well. See, that's the thing, it's mostly psp games from the sony handhelds, but vita titles seem cool too. And let's not forget the psone classics, I bought some of them for the ps3, but it would be great to have them in my pocket.

All in all, yes, I'd love to have both, or maybe even all three of them, but can't afford it at this moment. What I hope will happen, ideally, is I'll buy one now and the other one later on. But some voices, here on gamefaqs as well, scare me a bit though, what with the 'no games at all', 'dying system' and 'sony is actually abandoning vita'. I never had a bias against vita, how could I, never playing it at all, but you know.. :/

So yeah, that's why I have that dilemma.

And those memory card prices are a turn-off too, indeed.
---
Gaymer.
#8uketom89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 1:09:18 PM

See, the thing is it wasn't one of the options though. I'm choosing between pep, 3ds, and vita. Yet here you are, posting a totally different thing. You must be doing great at multiple choice tests.
---
Gaymer.
#9GigaDogqHDPosted 8/21/2014 1:09:55 PM
3ds for sure
---
There are three types of people on GameFAQS...those that agree with me, those that are wrong, and those that are insane
#10MrFwibblesPosted 8/21/2014 1:14:54 PM
yomomma0919 posted...

Uh the sp can play game boy games

---
DLC, online passes and the rise of casual budget gaming have ruined the video game industry.
http://i.minus.com/ikldA8ungvbD2.gif