Did Sony's greed with the memory cards doom the Vita?

#21ImaPCPosted 8/26/2014 2:04:31 AM
Black_Assassin posted...
ImaPC posted...
Full digital is manageable with 8gb

That's like two games.

Yeah, it could be.

While that wouldn't be an ideal situation for going full digital, it is very possible to make it work if you want to.

It takes all but a few minutes to copy a game to the PC and back with CMA. You don't need to have your entire collection on one or multiple cards. Find a card you can live with and works within your budget. I mean, how many games to you realistically need to have with you at any given time?
#22NeosadusPosted 8/26/2014 2:44:47 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
If the Vita didn't have high priced memory cards, Sony would have just raised the price of the Vita. Keeping the Vita's price low and memory high, lowers the entry point for consumers who just want to play physical games.

What looks better?
$350 Vita
$250 Vita + $20 8gb or $250 Vita + $100 32gb

If it weren't for the memory cards allowing Vita's price to be low, it's sales would be lower than they already are.

Neither of those look better and the masses agreed. This is 2014 (2012) where memory is pennies on the dollar. $250 Vita + $30 32gb would have looked pretty damn awesome at launch. $200 Vita + $50 64gb looks pretty f****** amazing right f******* now!

And guess what? Sony could have made even more money selling digital games. Which after the process of creation/production cost NOTHING to sell a copy! And they would be bank rolling more than enough to make up for what greed it purposely had in mind for their "gouging memory" business strategy.

And guess what? More gamers (nevermind casuals) would have initially bought the Vita because it would have been a far more appealing device.

And guess what? More Vita's out there earlier could have made all the difference in breaking it out of that no sales means no developers/games, no games/developers means no sales cycle it managed to get itself into. I've not even got into word of mouth from friends an so on...

It was a business decision and they f***** up. The End.
---
------
---------
#23Megaman OmegaPosted 8/26/2014 5:22:24 AM
SoporilBracelet posted...
-and by extension, a "good" library since the general public thinks only exclusives make a great library

The problem is that a huge percentage of Vita owners (the Sony diehard fans) already own all the other Sony systems, so they don't really care if their PS3 games gets ported to the Vita.
---
How to get rid of the new topic sidebar: http://www.gamefaqs.com/user/options_advanced.html
Message Board Settings -> Topic List Sidebar -> No
#24white windPosted 8/26/2014 5:35:59 AM
BossBang posted...
BS. The Vita is barely over 2 years old. That's 2 E3s. And last year was the Borderlands 2 announcement. TGS and every other event suddenly matters just because this E3 didn't announce a new 1st party game? No. (Not to mention localizing Freedom Wars, which is first party.)

I meant E3 and Gamescom, they barely mentioned the device during these events this year and last year
---
PSN: ghattas
#25xfactorPosted 8/26/2014 5:41:44 AM
BossBang posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
If the Vita didn't have high priced memory cards, Sony would have just raised the price of the Vita. Keeping the Vita's price low and memory high, lowers the entry point for consumers who just want to play physical games.

What looks better?
$350 Vita

If it weren't for the memory cards allowing Vita's price to be low, it's sales would be lower than they already are.

First time I seen someone else who logically thought why stuff is priced the way it is on GFaqs.

Way too many people crying wanting crap for free. "I'll wait till it free on PS+" or "Game is worth ten bucks" or "Vita should be bundled with 32gb Killzone and Persona for $100"

Get real. Fancy gadgets cost money.

white wind posted...
it hurt the initial sales, I hesitated before buying mine, and I am sure a lot others did.

what "doomed" the Vita, is not showing any first party support during 3 or 4 consecutive major game shows

BS. The Vita is barely over 2 years old. That's 2 E3s. And last year was the Borderlands 2 announcement. TGS and every other event suddenly matters just because this E3 didn't announce a new 1st party game? No. (Not to mention localizing Freedom Wars, which is first party.)

We know you love the Vita, but that doesn't mean you can lie.The Vita is released in Feb 2012, which is slightly more than 2 & 1/2 years ago. That is in nowhere "barely over 2 years".

Also, Vita's 1st E3 is in 2012 (June 4 2012). Its 2nd E3 is in 2013, and its 3rd E3 is in 2014.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjCSo1XEiyc&sns=tw
#26BlueswordsXPosted 8/26/2014 7:21:52 AM
Big time. I rarely settle for less than the best, so I was only interested in the 64 GB card which isn't technically even out here yet. I have 20 games on my 3DS to choose from at anytime at my whim, and I'd certainly like that or more for the Vita.

I'm far more interested in the Vita's releases this year, bought a whole bunch, bought a year of PS+ subscription to pick up awesome stuff along the way...and still haven't bought a Vita yet because of the memory card issue. An 8GB card would just be useless to me, like all my smaller micro-SD cards I keep lying around once I got bigger ones. Yes in theory I can swap, but realistically I'm just not gonna bother.
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#27JRPGHurtsWalletPosted 8/26/2014 8:18:52 AM
ORANGE666 posted...

What looks better?
$350 Vita

Lol. The Vita would have struggled to move one million units by this point if the Vita was $350. No one would have touched it except the most hardcore of hardcore handheld gamers. They would never have raised the price on it if they didn't go the route they did with the memory cards.
#28SlaysmePosted 8/26/2014 8:22:48 AM
About as much as the complaining about it lead to it. Both sony and the internet failed.
---
Book reader master race. What now, chumps?
3ds FC-5412-9925-5942. Psn-slaysme nnid-smallwoodfamily
#29Shacky_101Posted 8/26/2014 8:30:08 AM
The reason they cost so much is because they cost a lot to make. I guess setting up the production line for a new memory format for only one system must have affected the price. Encrypted security and speed of these memory cards might have also increased the price.

What Sony should have done is let another big name company build the memory cards for them, like Sandisk or something. And it should have been based on a previously existing memory card, like a micro sd card that has security encryption that only works with the Vita. That should fix the price issue.
---
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.
#30YuniuninuniunPosted 8/26/2014 9:02:17 AM
I've always looked at memory cards a little different.
I pay a little extra for a region free console.
---
Friendly reminder to never play a game published by PWE (Perfect World Entertainment)
"The bigger the cushion the better the pushin."