About to tackle the second Special Forces mission -- tips?

#1Azure_FlamePosted 8/17/2012 9:41:35 AM
I decided earlier today that I had put it off enough, and so I made up my mind to finally tackle the infamous second mission from the Special Forces DLC pack.

I know there are already a bunch of topics on this, but I just wanted to get all the pieces of advice in one place. Basically, the gist is that I should put out MOST of, but NOT ALL of, the fire on the ship before tackling the fires across the city, right? Anything else I should keep in mind?
---
"[Gravity Rush] is like losing your virginity; sometimes you won't know what you're doing, it's over way too quick and it's totally amazing!" -CBrate
#2raistmaj42Posted 8/17/2012 10:59:21 AM
Get the *big* fires first, and maybe two (of six or eight) of the minor ones. They all re-spawn over time. I didn't know this so half the ship's hull was depleted before I realized the I need to get the city fires first. Randomly appearing Nevi blocking my tosses, combined with my less-than-spot-on accuracy and dwindling water-tower supply caused the final hull HP to be ~323, down from 23k-25k HP.
As you are putting out the city fires, pay attention to the rate of hull HP depletion - occasionally a big fire re-spawns, causing a *major* rate increase (on the order of over a 100 HP drop a sec), so put those out before continuing with the city fires.

In the first part of the mission, when defending the downed pilot, [evade]+[direction]+[kick] can deliver a more powerful kick than kick by itself or even a [jump]+[kick], whilst keeping you moving when amongst a throng of swarming Nevi. If you have been keeping your Kick Stat upgraded, you can deliver a nice series of increasingly-damaging kicks (Stat level + 1 = combo# before damage level resets), should you have some breathing room.
Just be careful of the Lance Nevi charging you & the Frog Nevi whipping you when you open a Can o' Whoop-Ass [tm]. And accidentally hitting a Gravity skill button & blowing up the support structure from the fuel leak compression spark. (^.^)

---
... "Everything's all custardy. Mmmmm, custard. It's a bowl full of yellow love. Shlooby looby looby looby loob... (sounds of lip-smacking)" - Sleep Talkin' Man
#3Azure_Flame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 10:49:53 PM
On my first try, I got down to one fire remaining in the city before the ship's HP ran out. On my second try, I could not get a single city fire put out at all due to near CONSTANT bombardment from Nevi. Do you advise that I take out the Nevi whenever possible (using Gravity Typhoon), or should I attempt to dodge the Nevi and put out the fires anyway?

And I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but do I have to put out both the ship fires AND the city fires, or does the mission end when the last city fire is put out?
---
"[Gravity Rush] is like losing your virginity; sometimes you won't know what you're doing, it's over way too quick and it's totally amazing!" -CBrate
#4raistmaj42Posted 8/18/2012 12:52:46 AM
If you haven't already passed it, I should say I probably forgot the depletion rate with the stacking amt from the small fires (sorry about that). Maybe it was to put out all *but* two small fires, not put out just two.
As for the Nevi - I took out the ones with high projectile-tossing rates that were near the ship & on my way. Others I tended to ignore unless one ticked me off (read: "it hit me, that bastard!") & I waste half a min trying to hit the shifty S.o.B.. :(
I used Gravity Kick since it's near-instantaneous to get in motion and to shift course, unlike the Shift/fall actions. Works nicely in getting around corners & some Nevi. If it hits the Nevi - so much the better, it's out of the way until it re-spawns. I don't remember the Nevi density (I'm actually about to do the first of the two missions in my second play-through shortly after this), but I don't remember enough clustered together or with-in range for Gravity Typhoon to be really effective for its use of time. Likely my memory already set sail on the River of Forgetfulness so long ago to be accurate there. (-.-)

For your 2nd Q, yes. The hull fires re-spawn until all city fires are out, & mission finishes when all hull fires are extinguished after that.

---
... "Of course I considered becoming a vegetarian to help solve the food hunger problem... Bazinga! Nah, I'd probably eat a vegetarian to help solve the food hunger problem. F#Šking vegetarians." - Sleep Talkin' Man
#5PiesiaPosted 8/18/2012 6:27:03 AM
Azure_Flame posted...
I decided earlier today that I had put it off enough, and so I made up my mind to finally tackle the infamous second mission from the Special Forces DLC pack.

I know there are already a bunch of topics on this, but I just wanted to get all the pieces of advice in one place. Basically, the gist is that I should put out MOST of, but NOT ALL of, the fire on the ship before tackling the fires across the city, right? Anything else I should keep in mind?

Go up to the ship, use gravity typhoon to take out as many nevi as you can, use the three fire extinguishers (two on one side of the bridge, one on the other) to put out fires. Then go down below and use water tanks on the buildings to put out those fires. If you need to, use another gravity typhoon to take out the long nevi that patrols below. Save the water towers near the ship to be used on the the remaining ship's fires when you have finished with the city fires.

best regards,

piesia
#6Azure_Flame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 11:21:36 AM
Gave it another two tries, still can't get it.

I've formulated a strategy that consists of putting out the large fires on the ship, putting out two city fires, grabbing a couple water towers and waiting near the ship for the pig fires to respawn, putting them out, then putting out the remaining three city fires (or two if I can't make it to all three, then getting back to the last one after I put out the big fires again), and finally putting out the rest of the fires on the ship. Do you all think that that waiting until the fires respawn so I can put them out as soon as possible is a good idea, or should I just proceed as usual?
---
#7Azure_Flame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 11:27:13 AM
And since editing refuses to work for me -- does anyone know if there exists a map with the locations of all the water towers relative to the ship?
---
#8PiesiaPosted 8/18/2012 11:43:27 AM
Azure_Flame posted...
And since editing refuses to work for me -- does anyone know if there exists a map with the locations of all the water towers relative to the ship?

I've never seen a map like that: the towers are hard to see from a distance. they are really all over the place, but it's easy to miss them unless you're close.

I would use a fire extinguisher per fire on the ship, then go down to the city. Going up and down to the ship is costing you time. The important thing is to put out the fires in the city quickly, that way you have time to fight the ship's fires.

it took me numerous tries, but the process that I mentioned previously worked well for me.

best regards,

piesia
#9Azure_Flame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 12:50:32 PM
I DID IT!

The only thing I did differently was I put out more fires on the ship to start with, but I ended with well over 10k HP remaining.
---
#10Azure_Flame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 12:57:35 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention -- do the all the gems that spawned during the mission remain afterwards? And if so, will there be new gems in every district?
---